Cologne Brexit Meeting - Wed 13th Feb

158 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what is the point of these meetings?

According to the German websites (Government), Brits have no guarantee or right to stay in Germany. There are a few other countries which have not guaranteed the right of Brits in the EU and unfortunately Germany is one of them

All we can do is stay after the 29th March and then apply to remain in Germany.

According to their website the British in Germany claim to represent the interests of affected citizens. 

Judging by the German Governments decision not to guarantee the rights of Brits in Germany I would say that this group has failed miserably in representing the interests of Brits.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

According to the German websites (Government), Brits have no guarantee or right to stay in Germany. There are a few other countries which have not guaranteed the right of Brits in the EU and unfortunately Germany is one of them

All we can do is stay after the 29th March and then apply to remain in Germany.

The wording that "British citizens won't have to leave immediately" is quite worrying, and with the switch to third country permits I am concerned that unmarried couples with one stay at home person are particularly at risk of having one person refused a permit. 

12 minutes ago, Mackle said:

The wording that "British citizens won't have to leave immediately" is quite worrying, and with the switch to third country permits I am concerned that unmarried couples with one stay at home person are particularly at risk of having one person refused a permit. 

It is very shocking that the German Government have decided to treat Brits in this way.

The wording  "British citizens won't have to leave immediately" is a complete travesty, effectively what they are saying is that you can stay on the 29th but after that date we can refuse you a permit and kick you out.

I think the group Brits in Germany work is now done as they have somehow managed to secure absolutely zero rights for Brits living here.

Personally I think that it is not going to be a problem.  If you have been in Germany for a while and are actively contributing to society, working, studying, married to somebody who contributes etc. then you will be OK.

They won't guarantee that all Brits can stay because there are always some 'undesirables' who they don't want to stay.  For example: People who have have been convicted of a major crime they will not want them staying in Germany after they get out of prison.

Of course I hope that they apply some common sense in some cases, like the example above from @Mackle.  But let's face it, the UK has been very bad over the last few years, such as Windrush, so they can't complain if other countries treat their citizens in the same way.

21 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Personally I think that it is not going to be a problem.  If you have been in Germany for a while and are actively contributing to society, working, studying, married to somebody who contributes etc. then you will be OK.

So what work permit do you think the Brits will get?

I personally think It will completely depend on who your case worker is. If your case worker does not like the look of you, your a goner.

There is no legislation in place for what happens to Brits after Brexit. Effectively those who have B1 will probably be allowed to stay but those who do not have the bits of paper will probably be told to bugger off.

It will completely depend on your case worker.

7 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

There is no legislation in place for what happens to Brits after Brexit. Effectively those who have B1 will probably be allowed to stay but those who do not have the bits of paper will probably be told to bugger off.

On the British in Germany Facebook group, they did say from meetings the group had been in with German officials, that language was an absolute red line, and that it would be seen as unacceptable to give British spouses the same exemptions that American and Korean spouses have.

So what work permit do you think the Brits will get?

You think that those of us who don't meet the citizenship will be tied to our current employers then? :(

1 hour ago, Mackle said:

I don't see the problem. Those who are in committed relationships will get married and get a permit. 

Just now, engelchen said:

I don't see the problem. Those who are in committed relationships will get married and get a permit. 

You still need A1.

2 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You still need A1.

German for dummies? Big deal. 

A1 German is not rocket science.   

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

As current EU citizens, there is nothing that forces people to get married. With this, it's three months from March29th to get a shotgun wedding, submit a permit application, and potentially given the comments of @RenegadeFurther ("I personally think It will completely depend on who your case worker is. If your case worker does not like the look of you, your a goner") have to convince the case worker that your reasons for getting married were not to secure a permit and that the timing of getting married at Gretna Green or Tønder at Brexit time is purely coincidental

3 minutes ago, engelchen said:

It is still a prerequisite for being allowed to stay in the country.

1 minute ago, RenegadeFurther said:

It is still a prerequisite for being allowed to stay in the country.

And would need to be obtained before submitting the application within the three month period. 

And of course, it's not requirement for American and Korean spouses...

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The wording  "British citizens won't have to leave immediately" is a complete travesty, effectively what they are saying is that you can stay on the 29th but after that date we can refuse you a permit and kick you out.

It's a very different position from how Malta have gone about things.

13 minutes ago, Mackle said:

As current EU citizens, there is nothing that forces people to get married. With this, it's three months from March29th to get a shotgun wedding, submit a permit application, and potentially given the comments of @RenegadeFurther ("I personally think It will completely depend on who your case worker is. If your case worker does not like the look of you, your a goner") have to convince the case worker that your reasons for getting married were not to secure a permit and that the timing of getting married at Gretna Green or Tønder at Brexit time is purely coincidental

If you get married now or get married in Denmark it will probably raise some questions with your case worker.

It really looks like the group Brits in Germany got the worst possible deal for Brits living here, and now they are going up and down the country broadcasting it.

Does anyone what happens If your application is rejected? How long do they give you till you have to get out the country?

It really looks like the Brits in Germany group used David Davis (ex Brexit secretary) to negotiate a good deal for us Brits here.

It really looks like the Brits in Germany group used David Davis (ex Brexit secretary) to negotiate a good deal for us Brits here.

:lol:

38 minutes ago, engelchen said:

No one English-speaking could live here more than 6 months without absorbing A1 German. The issue may come up as to whether or not an employer can justify asking for a work-based visa for someone with less than B2.

What will happen to cross-border commuters? Under the withdrawal agreement, they had the right to live and work in both the residence country and the country of employment (so a mini-FOM between those two countries only).

In a no-deal scenario, what right to remain in Germany / right to a German permit would a British person who lives in Germany, has been submitting German tax returns, but works in Switzerland, have or qualify for? If they were given three months to leave Germany they would also have to apply for a new permit in Switzerland as their G-permit wouldn't allow them to live in Switzerland.