Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pregnancy & Work

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I would like to ask a couple of questions related to family planning. I haven't seen anything updated around so here it goes:

- When must the employee warn the boss about the pregnancy? I am asking this because I don't know if by law there is anything forcing the woman to tell the boss as soon as she knows or anything else.

- When/How to get a midwife? The doctor can suggest one correct? Or is it a more common way to get one?

- For foreigners with babies... I did my re-search on internet on the law for this matter but just to confirm... a child born in Germany might get German nationality, am I right? If parents are from EU.  

You should inform your employer as soon as possible.  However, if you don't do this then there are no consequences for you.  Most women wait until the critical period is over before informing, but it depends on your job.  If you work with chemicals or in another dangerous or unsuitable environment then the employer has to move you into another role to protect you, or even if you just cannot/should not do certain tasks (e.g. frequent lifting of (heavy) boxes) then the employer must take action, so you must inform them. 

You can try to find a midwife ASAP.  In most places in Germany there is a shortage, so the soon you look the better.  Although many might not take you on until you have reached a certain stage of your pregnancy.  I suggest asking your Frauenarzt, but looking yourself as well.

You child might have German citizenship, but it depends. You can get this type of citizenship on the following conditions:

• If at least one of your parents has lived in Germany for at least 8 years before the birth of the child
  • If at the time the child is born, one of the parents had a permanent residence permit

In getting this type of citizenship, the child will again have to choose the citizenship of the parents or the citizenship of Germany between the ages of 18 and 23 years old. The child must give up the nationalities of the parents in order to get the German one, or apply for dual citizenship.

Only children born after February 2nd, 1990, have the right to get this type of citizenship.

30 minutes ago, Zhaitan said:

- When must the employee warn the boss about the pregnancy? I am asking this because I don't know if by law there is anything forcing the woman to tell the boss as soon as she knows or anything else.

There is no legal regulation, most women wait until the end of the 12th week.

- When/How to get a midwife? The doctor can suggest one correct? Or is it a more common way to get one?

Become active yourself as early as possible. There are too few midwives, so it is not enough to rely on the fact that the doctor knows someone who is not fully booked. Start there: https://www.berliner-hebammenliste.de/suche

- For foreigners with babies... I did my re-search on internet on the law for this matter but just to confirm... a child born in Germany might get German nationality, am I right? If parents are from EU.  

Only if the parents have been living legally and habitually in Germany for at least eight years and have a residence permit on the basis of the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons between the European Union and Switzerland or have an unlimited right of residence.

2 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

Only if the parents have been living legally and habitually in Germany for at least eight years and have a residence permit on the basis of the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons between the European Union and Switzerland or have an unlimited right of residence.

So I guess being from EU makes my child legit to have german citizenship even if I was not living in Germany for eight years, am I right?

1 minute ago, Zhaitan said:

So I guess being from EU makes my child legit to have german citizenship even if I was not living in Germany for eight years, am I right?

No, sorry, you are not right.

"have been living legally and habitually in Germany for at least eight years and have a residence permit on the basis of the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons between the European Union and Switzerland or have an unlimited right of residence."

Ah, I was 

1 minute ago, someonesdaughter said:

"... or have an unlimited right of residence."

Sorry, I was confused by this since I had my mind elsewhere. For a second I thought that being from EU would be like having a unlimited right of residence. 

Thanks for clarifying!

11 minutes ago, Zhaitan said:

Ah, I was 

Sorry, I was confused by this since I had my mind elsewhere. For a second I thought that being from EU would be like having a unlimited right of residence. 

Yes, it is the same in the context of freedom of movement for workers - but both conditions must be fulfilled: eight years and freedom of movement (for EU) or eight years and unlimited right of residence (for non-eu). 

Does anyone know how must the boss be informed of the pregnancy? In case of avoiding any law issues.