Rent options in the Stuttgart Area

4 posts in this topic

Good day fellow Expats,

I know it’s a long shot, but I would like to know if there are any of you leaving back home or moving somewhere else at the moment.

Me and my husband are looking for a very quiet apartment in Stuttgart [on the S-Bahn line towards Böblingen]. We are both engineers, we don’t have children nor pets and we are flexible, nice people.

We started looking for a new place on all the Immo sites, but I was hoping we might get lucky and get a place that’s about to vacate soon.

Any info if that is the case could help us.

Many thanks!

I know a highly qualified IT guy who needed to move his family to the Stuttgart area for a job. He looked for close to a year and ended up moving to a little town about 40 minutes out of town if traffic is good.  If you have jobs waiting your employers should be able to help you out some, but finding a place in Stuttgart is really tough.

On Montag, 11. Februar 2019, Iocumine said:

We started looking for a new place on all the Immo sites,

@trrr is correct in pointing out how long it can take in the Stuttgart area but, although it may have got more acute in recent years, that was the case when I moved there for work in 1987 and managed to find a very decent new flat :D (with a completely loopy landlady:angry:) in 7 weeks.

There are still some private landlords in Germany who never list their coming vacancies on internet websites, but in the local newspaper(s) print editions. With local market demand as high as it is they hardly seem to feel the need to change their traditional methods.

In most areas Immobilien, 'Mietwohnung' and 'Nachmieter gesucht' ads only appear on two days of the week, Wednesday (meagre amount of ads) and Saturday (lots of ads).

In most of the larger cities the Saturday edition is already on sale by 22:00hr on Friday night at the Hauptbahnhof, busier Tankstellen and even in the street at major traffic lights. AFAIR both the Stuttgarter Nachrichten and Stuttgarter Zeitung can be found late Friday too.

Other possibilities are to look out for 'Nachmieter gesucht' notices posted on pinboards in the entry area of many larger supermarkets (not Lidl and Aldi) and even Baumarkt by tenants who may be keen to move out sooner than their minimum notice period permits.

It may be worthwhile checking for REWE, REAL, Kaufland, Toom, OBI, and other such markt addresses on Google maps then spending a day or two getting off at each of the S-Bahn stops long the line from Stuttgart to Böblingen to check out all those possible sources.

HTH

Good luck!

2B

A lot of landlords are older people who don't know how to use the internet. They often put ads in the "Stuttgarter Wochenblatt" which is free of charge and comes out on Wednesdays. So get one and look there too. If you want the S-Bahn line to Boeblingen - will you work in Boeblingen then? So why not look for an apartment in Boeblingen. It's less pricye than Stuttgart.