Permanent residence application in risk due to BVG fines

10 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am a German University graduate who is about to be under a work visa for 2 years. According to what I have read online, by the time my 2 years under a work visa are achieved, I would be then eligible to apply for a permanent residence permit "Niederlassungserlaubnis". I would technically be able to apply for this this year but recently I have read that fines can jeopardise the granting of this permit. I have done some more research but with mixed answers I have read that even a BVG fine could be a reason :( I have been fined twice. I would like to know if this is true and if already my chances for getting the permit residence permit are gone.

Twice should be OK as long as you paid your fines.   BVG starts actions normally from the 3rd fine, and normally when they happened often and the person refuses to pay the fines.

5 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Twice should be OK as long as you paid your fines.   BVG starts actions normally from the 3rd fine, and normally when they happened often and the person refuses to pay the fines.

Yes I have paid my fines in less than the 14 requested days. Thanks for your answer, this gives me piece of mind :D

I hope that piece of mind is big enough so that you remember to buy tickets.

Then you'll have permanent peace of mind 😉 

3 minutes ago, cyborg said:

what does bvg mean ?

It is the company in charge of some of the public transportation in Berlin.  So the OP received fines for fare dodging in the U-Bahn/Tram/Bus.

On 11/02/2019, 21:38:11, El Jeffo said:

I hope that piece of mind is big enough so that you remember to buy tickets.

Then you'll have permanent peace of mind 😉 

haha why does everyone assume I did NOT have a ticket, first time I got fined was when I was new in Berlin, knew no one and thought that one could drive in any direction within the 2 hour validity so on my way back I leant that wasn't the case and the second time I hoped for the first time in an RB train since that was saving me time and my stop was 1 stop outside the AB zone, which again my bad for not checking but it didnt look so far in maps. I only had and AB ticket and well got the second fine. But thanks I do always buy my tickets though. :D

We only get fined when... we do not have a ticket.  It is not a big mental leap there.  And here you did not.  I would not sweat "I really had one but..." as that is normal. I often forget to validate etc

On 2/11/2019, 11:24:04, Watermelondrea said:

Hello all, I am a German University graduate who is about to be under a work visa for 2 years. According to what I have read online, by the time my 2 years under a work visa are achieved, I would be then eligible to apply for a permanent residence permit "Niederlassungserlaubnis".

IF you are still employed at the end of 24 months. If the work contract is 24 months and then done, you will be unemployed and thus unable to apply for permanent residency. Not until you are employed (again) in a permanent job related to your field, which is a necessity for PR, in addition to the 24 months. The Ausländerbehörde may be nice and give you an extension, but maybe not. Just something to keep in mind. 

What it's really about is 24 months paid into the Rentenversicherung, and then the continued "promise" of doing so. 

I would technically be able to apply for this this year but recently I have read that fines can jeopardise the granting of this permit. I have done some more research but with mixed answers I have read that even a BVG fine could be a reason :( I have been fined twice. I would like to know if this is true and if already my chances for getting the permit residence permit are gone.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, etc. etc., so make sure you have the right fare! Lesson learned, right?

As long as you aren't a serial problem Schwarzfahrer (3rd time a charm?), the Ausländerbehörde are not going to know about your fare-dodging fines (and the BVG doesn't care about your excuses/reasons, people lie to them all the time).