Ketogenic Diet Anyone?

40 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am just curious if anyone else is following a low carbohydrate/Ketogenic diet here. I gained a lot of weight in pregnancy and  going back to a low carbohydrate, bread free diet has done wonders. I have lost 35 pounds since September. I also get daily exercise and count calories. I have struggled with Insulin Resistance in the past and this diet makes the most sense for me.

The Keto diet is really popular in North America right now and God knows there are a plethora of new food and supplement products that one can buy in the USA. I really wish I could try some of this stuff.

I haven't heard much about Keto here in Germany, and I am sort of assuming that it might never catch on because...brötchen. :)

Keto is another fad diet that will go the way of all the other fads out there. I have been reading a lot of negative press about it lately. Just saw this one today.

I'm sure your daily exercise and calorie counting are helping a lot. Of course avoiding carbs (sugar) is also important for you. 

I just don't eat many carbs. Not a bread or potato freak but have each occasionally in small portions.

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've heard of any diet fads in Germany but that might be because I'm not reading a lot of German publications. Small portions and exercise seem to make dieting obsolete here although I'm sure there are those who do it.

Yes, i have done Keto on and off for 3 years, usually doing it properly Jan-March and then losing focus.

i find it excellent for my needs. Because I am the sort of person who is always hungry, it is an absolute revelation being in ketosis and not having to think about food all day. I think a lot of naturally thin people don’t understand this Heißhunger that we have, related to blood sugar/insulin spikes.

im on Keto again since 2 January and have lost 8 kilos. I eat about 40g carbs per day, and have remained in ketosis the whole time (according to my pee sticks and the lack of hunger). I fast from 20:00 till 14:00 (so 16:8) and find that really easy. I don’t need to eat breakfast as I’m not hungry.

The food we are both eating (my partner is also doing low carb although less strict Keto) is very high quality and healthy. Fresh cuts of meat, loads of vegetables, some berries, yoghurt, cream, butter. All really tasty! Plus I have a few good Keto brownies recipes, and i make a decent Keto Philadelphia Kuchen.

for many people Keto isn’t the right option for them, but for someone with the genes to be fat (my parents, grandparents and sister and nieces are/were almost all obese), and this is because we always feel hungry and never full, Keto is just brilliant. It completely frees the mind!

i liken my genes to a labrador’s. They are always hungry and will eat too much if you allow them. Going into ketosis and losing this constant urge to eat is just an amazing feeling, and if it’s right for you it can be brilliant. I feel much healthier on it too!

Oh, and as a follow up, I don’t see the need for any supplements if you are eating fresh meat, veg etc. Perhaps for some people, but it seems that the amount of veg I consume gives all that is necessary.

The only weird things I have bought are Mandelmehl (to use instead of flour for things like cake bases, pizza bases and brownies/biscuits), psyllium husks (Flohsamenschalen) which you can use to thicken sauces instead of starches (and also gives loads of fibre), stevia/erythritol for occasional sweetener use in cakes and Xanthan Gum (which I got from work) which I use in one recipe to bind shortbread together. I could do without the Xanthan and psyllium if necessary.

There isn’t much money to be made recommending that people eat fresh vegetables, salads and meat. If I see low carb cereal bars etc I ignore them - I don’t think they are needed and they are just adding unnecessary, processed foods just to try to make some money. Eat a few mixed nuts instead! People want to monetise the Keto way of eating, especially as more and more people are doing it, so you have to watch out for ridiculous health claims. As always, on all sorts of different diets.

weightwatchers worked for me 20 years ago (I lost 66kg) but I ate a lot of processed rubbish with low fat or lite versions of everything. The weight was back two years later. With Keto it is hard to stick to it, especially when eating out, but at least I am eating fresh, natural food. And although I have slipped into bad habits over the last two years, I never gained back all the weight I had lost in those first few months. This year I am trying harder. We will see!

1 hour ago, NativeFraulein said:

I haven't heard much about Keto here in Germany, and I am sort of assuming that it might never catch on because...brötchen. :)

Good for you. I know all the theory - Corden's Paleo diet, Gary Taubes, Rob Wolff, all of it. Problem is in Germany this is a bread and beer heavy diet, and avoiding the daily wheat based life is almost impossible. About 4 years ago I managed it along with a daily Chinese yoga system, and I lost 10 kg quickly. However when I did eat any kind of carb - the coffee cake thing - I'd almost collapse and have to lie down. I reasoned that at Christmas I would enjoy the food thing but get slim after. Er...I am at least going out Nordic skiing but foodwise, not yet!

Whatever works for each individual. I'm not against any diets when they are healthy and work.

My sister was a yo yo dieter all of her life and she has been on Keto for years - before it got really popular. I remember her explaining ketosis, etc. to me years ago. I'm not sure how strictly she follows it these days but she has stayed a nice size. 

If find diets like this far too restrictive.  And I seriously question the wisdom (for me) of using a bunch of strange ingredients to make fake biscuits, wraps, etc.  For me, any "diet" has to be sustainable and delicious without a lot of pfaffing around.  I don't have any problem with the concept of eating lots of veg - but it should highlight the VEG, with no attempts to transform it into something it's not - like a flourless pizza or so

anyway I do have good luck when I cut out bread - but I think this is mostly because cheese is much less appealing on its own ;)

19 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

anyway I do have good luck when I cut out bread - but I think this is mostly because cheese is much less appealing on its own

I wish I felt that way. I do prefer crackers, though, as my cheese conveyance.

yeah if I were off bread I would not be eating crackers either ;)

nor pasta nor dumplings nor anything flour based

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've heard of any diet fads in Germany but that might be because I'm not reading a lot of German publications. Small portions and exercise seem to make dieting obsolete here although I'm sure there are those who do it.

3 hours ago, Auntie Helen said:
3 hours ago, Auntie Helen said:

for many people Keto isn’t the right option for them, but for someone with the genes to be fat (my parents, grandparents and sister and nieces are/were almost all obese), and this is because we always feel hungry and never full, Keto is just brilliant. It completely frees the mind!

i liken my genes to a labrador’s. They are always hungry and will eat too much if you allow them. Going into ketosis and losing this constant urge to eat is just an amazing feeling, and if it’s right for you it can be brilliant. I feel much healthier on it too!

weightwatchers worked for me 20 years ago (I lost 66kg) but I ate a lot of processed rubbish with low fat or lite versions of everything. The weight was back two years later. With Keto it is hard to stick to it, especially when eating out, but at least I am eating fresh, natural food. And although I have slipped into bad habits over the last two years, I never gained back all the weight I had lost in those first few months. This year I am trying harder. We will see!

I agree and identify with so many of the points brought up in this thread. I think we can all agree that at the end of the day weight loss is all math---calories in vs. calories out. When people say that Keto, Vegan, Paleo etc work for them best I believe them, because the thing we all have in common is that we probably carry a calorie defcit most of the time. 

I know a few people who did not have good luck with WW in the long term because a lot of people cannot manage just going by a `'points system because they often eat too much of one type of macro (protein, carbohydrate or fat.)

I am curious too about what is going to become of hardcore Keto dieters in 10 years time. I have cooked a few Keto recipes and the  amount of butter and heavy cream in them...that's too much for almost everyone. I made a Buffalo Chicken Soup but left out the reccomended 6 tablespoons of butter...yea no.  

I average about 50 net carbohydrates a day so I am not sure if I am in with the most devoted of the Keto crew, but what I love is that I do not feel hungry and suffer with the Insulin spikes that I did before. I wasn't going to do Intermittent fasting either, but it turns out that twice a week when I have to go to my German course late, not eating works better.

I carry most of my weight in the middle and have struggled my entire life with staying fit. I am from a Native American background and everyone I know was Diabetic by 40. I am 35 and during my pregnancy I kind of went crazy with the food...my blood test results in September were not what a new mother wants to see. I was inspired by them to go back to this diet and get the blood pannel results I had in 2017. 

I don't think Keto would survive here LOL but has anyone else  noticed that there are new 'high protein' products appearing everywhere now? Haha my husband brought home some Tip (Real brand) Protein Tortillas...

Eat less, move more works for me. I haven't been moving much over these winter months but I'm not gaining either. Never was a sweets fan. I just don't think it has to be so complicated. We all know what we put in our mouths and how much we move.

10 minutes ago, NativeFraulein said:

I carry most of my weight in the middle and have struggled my entire life with staying fit. I am from a Native American background and everyone I know was Diabetic by 40..

I may have read this somewhere but doesn't that ethnic group have a predisposition to those issues? I do know for sure that the Asian community in the UK have issues with it.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Eat less, move more works for me. I haven't been moving much over these winter months but I'm not gaining either. 

Now that we both agree on Frooty. I'm attempting to move more with Nordic skiing.

I did a pretty strict version of keto-diet as a 15 year old and lost 18kg within 6 weeks. I paid the price in the form of kidney stones.

19 minutes ago, NativeFraulein said:

I know a few people who did not have good luck with WW in the long term because a lot of people cannot manage just going by a `'points system because they often eat too much of one type of macro (protein, carbohydrate or fat.)

omg I HATED ww.  I don't even remember why I tried it, as I really don't "diet".  But when I did I became SO food obsessed it was truly disturbing.  Like...every moment of every day thinking about how I was going to "spend" my points...ugh!  

no thanks.  In general I really don't think about food at all and I tend to eat "real" food as opposed to processed stuff so while I've always carried a bit of chub, I'm the same size now at 50 as I was in high school, so I think I'm doing ok.  Aside from taking a second thought for "do I really want/need to eat this?" food is just not on my mind the overwhelming majority of the time. I'm good with that.

what worked better for me was to track my food for a few months using a calorie counter, as it allowed me to identify theoretically benign foods that are really easy to overeat (pasta, rice, nuts, usw)  I didn't eliminate these foods, just made a more conscious effort to keep an eye on portions with them.  I never have been into counting calories, but it's good to go through the motions once in a while just as a reality check.

Oh yes. Portions. I have a special little bowl for nuts and such. I used to eat right out of the bags. It is always enough with the bowl.

48 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Eat less, move more works for me. I haven't been moving much over these winter months but I'm not gaining either. Never was a sweets fan. I just don't think it has to be so complicated. We all know what we put in our mouths and how much we move.

This is what we should all do. However, the massive and constant hunger that some of us have, plus not feeling full even when we have eaten much more than we needed, means ‘eat less, move more’ is a willpower thing. And willpower, for the rest of your life, is very hard.

For me, with my genes/insulin resistance, eating a Keto diet (under 40g net carbs per day) means I am not hungry. When my colleague at work offers me a twix I can easily say no. I am not hungry. When eating a usual carb diet, despite having had breakfast I am ravenous by 11am so say yes. With Keto I eat no breakfast but am not hungry at 11am so can say no.

This is a huge difference for lots of people who follow the Keto way of eating and it is why we get a bit evangelistic about it. For the first time in my life I am not constantly hungry. It is such an amazing feeling of freedom! Even if I didn’t lose weight on it, it would still be something I would like to stick at as it means I can be so much more relaxed about meal times, about refuelling on long cycle rides and more.

Lots of other people have natural appetites and feel full and stop eating when they have enough. They don’t need to consider Keto, unless they want the other benefits. But lots of us aren’t like this, and will power (when being bombarded with adverts) is a finite resource!

I do feel fortunate in that way. Having said that, I don't break fast (what my mom used to say) until around noon or so. I usually sleep until 10:00. Maybe that has something to do with not being hungry all day. Three leisurely cups of coffee and then I start to think about eating something.

Himself, on the other hand, starts making his breakfast as soon as get gets up and he needs 3 meals each day.

10 hours ago, Auntie Helen said:

It is such an amazing feeling of freedom!

I know what you mean. But firstly this freedom comes with a price in the form of craving for rolls (for me at least - I started dreaming of them) and secondly with health risks like e. g. kidney stones and gout. Losing weight might be worth that risk but still people should be aware of it.

I look at diets very simplistically. If you go on a diet you can certainly lose weight by adopting any number of 'fad' diets. If the diet works then great, but most people then stop the diet and return to the eating/lifestyle behaviour that caused them to pile on the pounds in the first place.

Forget diets, change your lifestyle to one that you can live with in the long term.