Guten Morgen, Abend, Hallo

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Sorry for my English, I speak Spanish. 

I'm not new to Germany, nor Berlin, but it's always that always happens to me when I'm in Germany. 

When I'm see a neighbor (in the same building) I use to say Hallo, Morgen, Abend. But most of them never reply nor turn to where I am. Or ignore me. 

The other day, I was at the backyard of the building then came a man, who was looking towards a window then I said Hi,Hallo, and he turned his face to me giving me a look of hate, and rudeness,  and he turned again to keep seeing to the window. And he didn't reply to my Hallo. It was so rude and a crazy attitude. 

I rather not say anything anymore. I'm tired of being open, polite, but I'm not receiving the same treatment. 

Of course, I'm not generalizing but this is something that has happened to me most of the times in Berlin. 

I'm now applying the "wherever you go, do what you see"... 😑

I always say guten morgen no matter what time of day it is and smile. Sometimes people don't reply but most of the time I get at least a 'morgen' muttered back although I don't really care. If I get a smile back that's fine and if some find it annoying that's fine too. 

Not to respond to being greeted is rude according to German standards. Seems you´re living in the wrong neighbourhood. Or city for that matter.

In our Cretan village, I often get the evil eye from some people when walking past their houses with dogs. The hostility from some is open...how to take the wind out of their sails? Smile and say " kalimera, sas " (good morning with the formal/respectful sas/sir/madam)...what can they do but respond " kalimera, sas " and slink away disappointed I´ve not taken their bait.

;)

ie: not only in Berlin but just---some people are friendlier and more courteous than others and genuinely so.

Unfriendly people are generally unfriendly to themselves anyway and don´t love their life...that is the issue..maybe.

In my building in Munich we have 11 apartments and everybody greets each other, so it's possible :).

1 minute ago, LukeSkywalker said:

In my building in Munich we have 11 apartments and everybody greets each other, so it's possible :).

Here too. Do you look at all unusual Cinthia?

24 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

yeah - our building too, plus our "sister" building that shares our bike parking and Innenhof. We always greet each other in a friendly way

(ok there is one guy I'm not friendly with, but he's a troublemaker, and being nice to him always leads to a bizarre and uncomfortable conversation of some kind.  avoid) 

I think the bigger a building-at least in Berlin-, the longer it takes to get to know people. It took me almost two years to get to know the lady below me and that was only in a 3-apartment building. By getting to know, I mean that I started to exchange two or 3 sentences with her. 

In another place in Berlin I lived for 15 months and I rarely greeted anyone in that building, which had maybe 16 apartments in my entrance. In another house in Berlin, where I took care of children, I definitely greeted everyone and they greeted me. There were 6 apartments in that house. I suppose it varies with people and situations.