Freelancing : statutory insurance without social security contribution

11 posts in this topic

Dear Community,

I have been employed in Germany for last 4.5 years and start enternzeit in some months.

I have been contributing to social security all this time with TKK as my insurance provider.

After elterzeit, I plan to start working as freelancer and plan to apply for steuernummer during elterzeit.

My questions are - 

1. Is there going to be any issue to receive freelance visa. I have not yet got niederlassungserlaubnis.

What kind of documents, I need to present.

2. Is there an issue to apply steuernummer during elternzeit. Can I even do now when I am working ?

3. I want to continue being enrolled by TKK, but I would like to avoid paying into social security contribution for atleast 2 years. I have to yet create a client portfolio and may not have enough income in the initial years.

Thank you.

You want health insurance but don't want to pay for it? I'm going to try that principle with my next supermarket visit. 😀

58 minutes ago, McDee said:

You want health insurance but don't want to pay for it? I'm going to try that principle with my next supermarket visit. 😀

Actually, elfben does mention he wants to continue paying into TK but questions whether he has to pay into the State pension. This is a different issue and whether or not he has to pay depends which type of professional activity he will be in, income etc. So he should get professional advice.

12 hours ago, john g. said:

Actually, elfben does mention he wants to continue paying into TK but questions whether he has to pay into the State pension. This is a different issue and whether or not he has to pay depends which type of professional activity he will be in, income etc. So he should get professional advice.

Thanks for clarifying on my behalf; Yes, I definitely want to keep paying for insurance. I just don't want to switch to private insurance.

But I would want to know if there are freelancers who can request some exemption from paying into  pension payment (renten versicherung). I read on internet that this paying into renten versicherung is not must for freelancers, but I am not sure if this applies when I go for statuary insurance.

This is common misconception, elfben. If someone switches to self-employed status and are currently publicly health insured, they do NOT have to switch to private health insurance.

14 hours ago, elfben said:

Thanks for clarifying on my behalf; Yes, I definitely want to keep paying for insurance. I just don't want to switch to private insurance.

But I would want to know if there are freelancers who can request some exemption from paying into  pension payment (renten versicherung).

Some "freelancers" are obliged to take out pension insurance, others only on request, some are not obliged to take out insurance and some can be exempted from payment for three years on request.

Without knowing what activity you are going to perform, no one can say which group you belong to.

14 hours ago, elfben said:

I read on internet that this paying into renten versicherung is not must for freelancers, but I am not sure if this applies when I go for statuary insurance.

It has nothing to do with statuary health insurance at all. 

On 10/02/2019, 13:00:56, john g. said:

This is common misconception, elfben. If someone switches to self-employed status and are currently publicly health insured, they do NOT have to switch to private health insurance.

Thank you, that give me  direction. I shall take courage to talk to TK people now. Thank you.

23 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

Some "freelancers" are obliged to take out pension insurance, others only on request, some are not obliged to take out insurance and some can be exempted from payment for three years on request.

Without knowing what activity you are going to perform, no one can say which group you belong to.

Ok, I got the point that it does not have to do anything with statuary health insurance. I had an understanding that if I have to take public health care, paying pension insurance, goes hand in hand.

I shall further research if my profession falls into where I am liable to pay pension insurance as freelancer. I already read this https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/126457-freelancers-and-state-pension-contributions/

23 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

6 hours ago, elfben said:

Ok, I got the point that it does not have to do anything with statuary health insurance. I

You sure about this? ;)

had an understanding that if I have to take public health care, paying pension insurance, goes hand in hand.

No. Self-employed teachers can also have private health insurance, but are still subject to pension insurance. 

I shall further research if my profession falls into where I am liable to pay pension insurance as freelancer.

Yes.