Wildlife Biology/Ecology job search in the Hamburg area...

3 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, 

As you probably guessed from the title, I am looking for wildlife or ecology jobs in the Hamburg area.

I need your guys' help with any information about finding job boards, job postings, or maybe a list of where to find companies hiring English speaking biologists/ecologists. I am not familiar with the companies or agencies in Germany that hire wildlife biologists, so I'm at a bit of a loss where to even begin looking. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome!

I live in Bremen and will graduate with my MSc in Ecology within the next month. I have basic level German skills, and plan to enroll in an A1 or A2 German course as soon as possible. I have worked for ecological consulting companies, wildlife conservation agencies, and refuges. 

On 9.2.2019, 07:56:58, AllieCat said:

I need your guys' help with any information about finding job boards, job postings, or maybe a list of where to find companies hiring English speaking biologists/ecologists. I am not familiar with the companies or agencies in Germany that hire wildlife biologists, so I'm at a bit of a loss where to even begin looking. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome!

https://www.wila-arbeitsmarkt.de/

Wila compiles job ads related to Umwelt und Natur from across the country and publishes them once a week, however, I don't know how many (if any) of these jobs don't require German. You can get a 4 week test subscription for only 10€.

I live in Bremen and will graduate with my MSc in Ecology within the next month.

Will you receive your degree from a German university?

I have basic level German skills, and plan to enroll in an A1 or A2 German course as soon as possible.

A2 is not going to help you get a job where the working language is German. If you don't have a degree from a German university, getting a work permit as a non-EU recent grad who doesn't speak German will be difficult.

Hello engelchen, 

Thanks for the advice about the job ad site, I will look into it. I have just graduated in April from Uni Bremen with an MSc in Ecology, but the degree was taught in English. And luckily, I don't need to worry about a work permit, as I am also an EU citizen (from the UK. . . might not be for too much longer). But still, I am worried about not speaking better German.  That's why I was hoping to learn about perhaps some international consulting companies or the like who might need an English speaker (at least until I can learn more German!) :)