Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Timing of health insurance claims

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

A friend of mine who has private insurance with a deductible told me that her broker suggested that she send all of her health insurance claims at once, at the beginning of the calendar year, for all treatment during the previous year. Does anyone know why this would be better than sending in the claims individually at the time of treatment?

Thank you! 

Because...

1) the private health insurers don't want people to cancel (as is their right) when they announce the following years premium increase in September so they try to tempt them with the no-claims discount option which, at least for the first 3 - 5 years, appears to nullify the increase in premium,

or

2) it may in fact be true that when collected together the amount reclaimable is far less than the no-claim bonus in which case it would be a frustrating experience to retroactively find out that the 70 or 120 €s claimed and refunded had eliminated a potential 300 - 450 € no-claim discount.

Been there, done that.

Cost me plenty before I realized that my private health insurance providers' premiums were rising exponentially faster than the public health insurance providers premiums every year after the 5th or 6th anniversary.

HTH

2B