Getting German citizenship when renouncing my current citizenship takes too long

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I recently applied for German citizenship and was wondering what to do if renouncing my current citizenship takes too long. There is a procedure for that, but the renunciation process does not work well and frequently lasts over 5 years. 

It is ridiculous to wait that long to get the German passport, but I've seen somewhere that it is possible to claim that renouncing your citizenship is impossible or too complicated, and still become German. My question is how long I would have to wait before I can claim that the process has taken unreasonably long? Also how long is the process going to take in Germany and what do I need to do (I hope I won't need to go to court)?

Also is there any chance that the officials here in Germany would just say that I have to wait as long as it takes.

thanks a lot

best wishes

Lemonade

8 hours ago, AntarcticLemonade said:

It is ridiculous to wait that long to get the German passport, but I've seen somewhere that it is possible to claim that renouncing your citizenship is impossible or too complicated, and still become German. My question is how long I would have to wait before I can claim that the process has taken unreasonably long?

There's no deadline in the law, the law says:

"(1) 1The requirement of § 10 (1) sentence 1 no. 4 is waived if the foreigner is unable to surrender his previous nationality or can do so only under particularly difficult circumstances. 2This is to be assumed if

1. the law of the foreign State does not provide for the withdrawal of its nationality,

2.the foreign state regularly refuses dismissal,

3.the foreign State has refused to release the foreign national for reasons for which the foreign national is not responsible or has made the release subject to unreasonable conditions or has failed to decide within a reasonable time on the complete and formal application for release,

(...)"

https://www.buzer.de/gesetz/4560/a63198.htm

Various sources cite two years as the minimum duration.

*e.g. https://www.frag-einen-anwalt.de/Absage-weissrussischer-Staatsangehoerigkeit-sehr-lang,-much-more-difficult---f262271.html

https://www.anwalt.org/asylrecht-migrationsrecht/einbuergerung/

https://www.stuttgart.de/item/show/334738

Also how long is the process going to take in Germany and what do I need to do (I hope I won't need to go to court)?

Why do you always talk about courts and what should you want to achieve in court?

How long it takes depends on one of a number of factors that you can only partially influence: If your documents are complete and undoubtedly genuine, if no extensive checks are necessary, if not many applications are being processed at once, etc., you can be sure that your application will be processed in a timely manner. 

Also is there any chance that the officials here in Germany would just say that I have to wait as long as it takes.

Anything can happen. What will hardly be possible is that you don't even pursue your release from your first citizenship because you think that it will take too long anyway ... 

Have you applied for release yet?

Thank you for the info.

I am still waiting for the decision of the German side, only then can I apply for renunciation.

The problem is how to prove that the release is regularly denied. I know that this is the case because many acquintences of mine applied many years ago and are still waiting. There are also forums of expats that confirm this.

But when I spoke to the officer at the citizen's office in Germany, they told me that they don't have this information because very few people from my country ever applied for German citizenship. Hence they said that they would estimate how long it takes based in another country from the same region, which they said should be quite similar. In that country the process takes about 1 year, which they said is reasonable, and hence is not a problem.

But it's nowhere near 1 year in my country, it's 5-8, and up to infinity. So I'm trying to figure out how to avoid being in a limbo state for what might be an eternity.

23 minutes ago, AntarcticLemonade said:

The problem is how to prove that the release is regularly denied.

The only way you can prove that is to apply for release from your citizenship and then wait. If nothing happens for two years, the German side can waive the requirement of dismissal.

What is said in any forums or by compatriots does not matter. It is only about you and your application. As I said, what will hardly be possible is that you don't even start the process of your release from your first citizenship because you think that it will take too long anyway ... 

Applying is not a problem, I'll do this as soon as I get the confirmation from Germany. But for my application to be successful, the president has to sign it. He rarely does.

Just thought that there might be a list of countries where it's considered problematic to give up the citizenship. The law says that the requirement can be lifted if the exit is regularly denied. But to know that it is indeed so in case of a particular applicant, they should have a list of problematic countries of origin.

But I can't for the life of me find this list anywhere .

If only you were British, eh :rolleyes:?

Your President is one of the people who has contributed to some of us - including me - now being in a possible position of having to renounce our citizenship in order to take up or keep German (after Brexit).   Spent a lot of your state cash on it.

He is very keen for other nations to lose citizens, but not for his.

Hard lines.

27 minutes ago, AntarcticLemonade said:

Just thought that there might be a list (...) But I can't for the life of me find this list anywhere .

So you don't find a list that you think should exist ...?

Even if you are looking for a way out, you must prove individually that you have tried to be released from Russian citizenship. 

A list that may or may not exist doesn't change that. There is no general renunciation of the naturalisation requirements for Russians who want to become Germans. 

And obviously your compatriots also have very different experiences, for some the dismissal only takes six months:

"4. Vom Antragstellen beim russischen Konsulat bis zur Ausbürgerung daurt es in der Regel 6 Monate, kann aber auch schneller gehen."

https://forum.aktuell.ru/viewtopic.php?t=11270

24 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Even if you are looking for a way out, you must prove individually that you have tried to be released from Russian citizenship. 

I am not Russian. Selected this when registering for privacy reasons, because nationality was a compulsory field.

I wish I was though - then I would just wait 6-12 months and become German, rather than post here.

Suffice it to say that I'm from one of the former Soviet states, that still clings to some of the old practices. 

32 minutes ago, AntarcticLemonade said:

I am not Russian. Selected this when registering for privacy reasons,

Then I don't waste any more time because of wrong information ...

1 hour ago, AntarcticLemonade said:

I am not Russian. Selected this when registering for privacy reasons, because nationality was a compulsory field.

As @someonesdaughter pointed out, wasting the valuable time of people you want to provide you with help by providing false information is only going to piss them off until nobody responds to your posts at all.

Your location in Germany is another important piece of information you haven't supplied which is critical in respect of the process times and methods used by the various Einbürgerungsbehörde since their internal administrative instructions are provided by their state ministries.

If we knew which state you were dealing with we might know where you could find a copy of their rulebook.

Albeit, the way you are talking about how you are considering dealing with it, I doubt you will succeed before they reject your application due to lack of active cooperation on your part. 

2B

I never provided anyone with any sort of false information. Neither did I know the country of origin would be displayed on my profile. 

What exactly do you mean by lack of cooperation? That I will apply to renounce my citizenship? Or that waiting 8 years is unreasonable?