What someone should never say to someone coming from your country

74 posts in this topic

Just spotted this about Scotland and Scots!

https://www.scotsman.com/news/12-things-you-should-never-say-or-do-to-someone-from-scotland-1-4867174

Maybe don´t take it too seriously but what questions/comments  would upset you if someone asked you about the country  you come from?

:lol:

PS: when I was younger, I used to get annoyed by things like: " is it always foggy in London?", " why aren´t you wearing gloves to dinner ? All English do.", " do you know John Lennon? He´s from England." I even once had : " why aren´t you gay (ie homesexual)? You´re English."  I would just smile these days!!!

:lol:

Ok, let me try it for Portugal

1) Portugal is part of Spain, right?

2) Oh, so you speak Spanish, right?

3) (after stating that I have worked for engineering companies in Portugal) Oh, I thought you guys only made canned sardines!

4) Your food is crap because you don't use sauces

5) I was once in Portugal for a few hours and I can confirm that your food is crap. I ate russian salad and chips (said by a member of this forum)

6) I don't understand why you are darker than the waiters on this restaurant (said by an English guest)

7) If it weren't for England, Portugal would have been Spanish for centuries (said by a british guest at my house, at which I replied: "yes, and to thank your help, we teached you guys on how to eat with fork and knife and to drink tea at 5 o'clock")

Why do you people always talk like you have a potato in your mouth?

Why do all your American dishes have corn in them?

Did you vote for Trump?

By the way, I remember once talking to a Brazilian (old man) a long time ago and mentioned os Estados Unidos (USA) to him and he said he´d never heard of that country. Now that is bliss! He couldn´t have any hang ups about the country!

:)

19 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Ok, let me try it for Portugal

1) Portugal is part of Spain, right?

2) Oh, so you speak Spanish, right?

3) (after stating that I have worked for engineering companies in Portugal) Oh, I thought you guys only made canned sardines!

4) Your food is crap because you don't use sauces

5) I was once in Portugal for a few hours and I can confirm that your food is crap. I ate russian salad and chips (said by a member of this forum)

6) I don't understand why you are darker than the waiters on this restaurant (said by an English guest)

7) If it weren't for England, Portugal would have been Spanish for centuries (said by a british guest at my house, at which I replied: "yes, and to thank your help, we teached you guys on how to eat with fork and knife and to drink tea at 5 o'clock")

1) Isn´t it? My memory isn´t what it used to be!

:lol::lol:

"Is that coffee? I thought you only drink tea?!"

To which I normally reply that that is exactly why I had to leave the island... :-)

I don't mind stupid questions about my homeland.  I answer them and somebody will be a little wiser for it.  

When I complain about the rain;  "You should be used to the rain, you are from England"

Me: "Yes, but I moved away from England to get away from it!.  (And actually I lived in the driest part of the country)"

21 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

When I complain about the rain;  "You should be used to the rain, you are from England"

Me: "Yes, but I moved away from England to get away from it!.  (And actually I lived in the driest part of the country)"

Is it really drier in Germany? Always thought that there is not much difference between the UK and Germany in the amount of rainfall .

1 hour ago, Namu said:

Always thought that there is not much difference between the UK and Germany in the amount of rainfall .

Depends where you are / were in both countries.

I moved from the North-West UK to Southern Schleswig-Holstein/Hamburg area so there hasn't been much change in that respect.

From South Africa.

Why are you white?

(What, I'm white? When did that happen?!)

Are there white people in South Africa?

(Nope, none at all)

11 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Do people drink coffee in a coffee shop in Amsterdam?

Do you guys smoke marihuana every day?

I have to admit I have had a related experience in amsterdam.  It turns out that ordering coffee in a "coffee shop" is far from a normal experience for the people working there and the first place I went to didnt have any, an entirely coffee free coffee shop. None of them were able to provide anything approaching a decent cup of coffee.

I know there are some excellent coffee shops (of the coffee selling variety) in amsterdam, its just extraordinarily difficult to get directions to them because everyone thinks you want to smoke and sends you somewhere else.  As far as I remember the best actual coffee shops are on Singel.

Generally don't talk about what people are like in my country - fat, unable to speak anything but English, can't cook - when we are eating a meal I have just cooked, speaking in German and you are three times bigger than me.

My MIL once went to the trouble of cutting out from the newspaper and keeping for my perusal a résumé of Brit traits, supposedly based on George Mikes' humorous observations, except it was not. Just a crass list of stuff like "The women are all ugly, dress badly, can't cook, it rains all the time...", etc. She asked me if it was true to which I replied, "of course it must be true, it's written in black and white, that's why I emigrated."

She's 94 now and I'm still waiting...

in my German Class my classmate said ich komme aus Russland
and I aked him didn't hear about that country and please tell me the nearst biggest country and he laughed at me like hell :D

50 minutes ago, anne k said:

Generally don't talk about what people are like in my country - fat, 

German friends in London remarking (in German) on how fat a group of English sitting near them were, discovered quite quickly they were German...

18 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

German friends in London remarking (in German) on how fat a group of English sitting near them were, discovered quite quickly they were German...

Reminds me of a story.  A Swedish friend went out on the town (Luxembourg!) after work with another Swede how was there on business.  The bar was fairly empty as it was early, then a group of women came in.  The guy was loud and saying very rude things about the ladies in Swedish!

When they left, they walked past him one-by-one and said "hej då" (Good bye in Swedish!).   Draw dropped, face went red!