Moving to Heilbronn area and after some info

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

My wife  just received a contract offer for a job in Heilbronn!  So it looks like we're moving! (From Australia) 

Can someone give me any information about the area?      

Cost of living, transportation, local treasures, etc

Thanks! - Shannon

7 minutes ago, ShannonWeedon said:

Hi guys!

My wife  just received a contract offer for a job in Heilbronn!  So it looks like we're moving! (From Australia) 

Can someone give me any information about the area? 

Welcome to Toytown, Shannon! (edit: I see you've been here longer, so actually you should know how to get the information...)

Please do not crosspost and try to be more specific: What information are you looking for?

edit: text deleted. Did you contact the IHK FOSA to have your qualifications evaluated?

5 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Welcome to Toytown, Shannon! (edit: I see you've been here longer, so actually you should know how to get the information...)

Please do not crosspost and try to be more specific: What information are you looking for?

edit: text deleted. Did you contact the IHK FOSA to have your qualifications evaluated?

Apologies, I will take that advice on board!  I've been with this form for a while but have no had much experience in using it.  😊

I am wondering what the city is like to live in,  cost of living, transportation etc 

Heilbronn is a midsized German city, with a rapidly increasing Expat(as well as german) population, fueled by the Headquarters of Kaufland and Lidl as well as the big production plant of Audi, in the neighbourhood town of Neckarsulm. There are then Bechtle, Unilever, Bosch and other Automotive supplier companies in a 10 kilometer radius. So, there are lots of Jobs here even for non-german speakers, and the bigger cities of Stuttgart ,Karlsruhe and Mannheim are all around an hour away.

All this sadly also makes Renting quite pricey, not quite as high as Stuttgart, but still one that would take a sizeable chunk of your Income away, especially if you choose to live within in the city. As a family, it may not be a bad idea to look in to one of the smaller villages outside the city area too, Flein, Lauffen,Weinsberg etc are viable options. Renting is the norm in Germany, and buying a property may not be that attractive at the moment, since the prices have been steadily on the rise these last years in the area.

The Public-transport infrastructure isn't the best, but there are buses until midnight to most places around at 30-60 intervals, trams in the east-west direction and to/back northwards Neckarsulm. Traif is available here: https://www.h3nv.de/fahrscheine/fahrkarten-preise/monatskarte.html. , so around 60 EUR per month, and most ppl get by fine without a car. If you, do choose the city to live, then everywhere is easily reachable on foot, and supermarkets/grocers/drugstores quite close by.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to join the Heilbronner expat community here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Heilbronners.of.Leisure/ ,we have many families too. I hope to see you guys at one of our expat events :)

3 minutes ago, notme said:

Heilbronn: Midsized German city, with a rapidly increasing Expat(as well as german) population, fuelled by the Headquarters of Kaufland and Lidl as well as the big production plant of Audi, in the neighbourhood town of Neckarsulm. There is then Bechtle, Unilever, Bosch and other Automotive supplier companies in an around a 10 kilometer radius. So, there are lots of Jobs here, and the bigger cities of Stuttgart ,Karlsruhe and Mannheim are all around an hour away.

All this sadly also makes Renting quite pricey, not quite as high as Stuttgart, but still one that would take a sizeable chunk of your Income away, especially if you choose to live within in the city. As a family, it may not be a bad idea to look in to one of the smaller villages outside the city area too, Flein, Lauffen,Weinsberg etc are viable options. Renting is the norm in Germany, and buying a property may not be that attractive at the moment, since the prices have been steadily on the rise these last years in the area.

The Public-transport infrastructure isn't the best, but there are buses until midnight to most places around at 30-60 intervals, trams in the east-west direction and to/back northwards Neckarsulm. Traif is available here: https://www.h3nv.de/fahrscheine/fahrkarten-preise/monatskarte.html. , so around 60 EUR per month, and most ppl get by fine without a car. If you, do choose the city to live, then everywhere is easily reachable on foot, and supermarkets/grocers/drugstores quite close by.

If you have more specific questions, feel free tcommunity o join the Heilbronner expat here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Heilbronners.of.Leisure/ ,we have many families too. I hope to see you guys at one of our expat events :)

Thank you so much! That is so helpful! 😊

Would be great to come to a event once we are over 😊

What notme said.

It is not the most beautiful city, the old town was completely destroyed in WW II (partially rebuilt after the war), but in the run-up to the Federal Horticultural Show a lot of ugliness has disappeared, especially on the Neckar. Heilbronn is also located in the largest red wine growing area in Germany - the recreational value is high, you can quickly get "in the green".