Verdi - terrorist union

212 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Well, just for the record: it's not that simple. He first has to make an application for the Pflegegrad (in the past there were three Pflegestufe, today there are five Pflegegrade) to be increased, then an expert comes and checks the application. If the application is approved, the Pflegegrad rises - this means, however, that the need for care has already risen and the costs have also risen. And with the increased nursing care level, the amount to be paid by both the Pflegeversicherung and the patient rises.

Because he has enough to pay his share himself. My mother is now in the highest care level (5) - her own contribution is higher than her pension. If we could not pay it out of her assets, we would have to pay it. When she was still living at home, an application to increase the care level (from 1 to 2 on the old scale) was rejected twice - the increased care effort was still there and had to be paid for by her own. 

Until now, he has not been able to get to the next Pflegestufe after all of his applying for it. Mind you, the Rotkreuz is in his house and assists hims with these applications. All he really needs is a cleaner once a month. He is able to pay for one but won't. I will not visit him any more because his little apartment stinks so much. 

He has been this tight with his money all of his life and that is why he is still able to support himself with his savings, small pension and some pension he gets from being in the war. Mind you, his pensions combined are almost as much as Himself gets since he retired, 35 yrs. later. Oh,  and Opa and his wife never had a nice life because he was to tight.

Of course, if we would have to contribute, we would. We hope we have planned our own retirement so that Himself's son won't have to contribute. My son is in the U.S. and wouldn't have that requirement.

2 hours ago, swimmer said:

Can someone who has lived in insurance-obsessed Germany even ask this question

Insurance doesn´t help if there aren´t enough carers available. When my mom returned to Germany she would have received money for a caregiver, but none of the care providers had capacity. She was told to wait until someone else died. Only then would they be able to send someone. This is as self-inflicted as Brexit. Germany should learn from Cyprus and allow non-EU carers at low wages in so that you don´t have to leave your country in order to be able to afford private care. But then again - what would the unions say?

Also, what kind of insurance premiums would you have to look at in order to make private care at current German conditions available?

There you go again. Cheap imported labour. No one forced you to leave the country, if you retired at 38 then could you have gone back to work? We don't need people on shit wages because they don't pay taxes and all it does is subsidise private companies. We need people to be paid enough to have some standard of living and to be fairly rewarded for the skills they have. How many surgeons do you know who would work for half of what they're being paid? If you want a decent level of service, you have to pay for it, end of. You can't get something for nothing and carers are people, not monkies and so shouldn't be paid peanuts. Cyprus probably allow cheap labour in because wages are low there anyway.

Oh, and in the land where people are happy to insure themselves against any eventuality, why didn't you invest in a elderly care scheme, you had the money to invest in stocks and shares.

It was the end of July in Bayern forty years ago, the beginning of the 6-week school vacation, and a teacher friend of ours was surprised with the news that his mother had been hospitalized with terminal cancer. The hospital was ready to send her home to die, and told him to find care for her. Coincidentally, August being a general vacation month in Bayern, the carers were vacationing too, with the result that our friend brought his mother home and spent his vacation caring for her.  She quickly became demented, was incontinent, screamed vulgarities and insults from the window, claimed he was killing her - and the end came only when she died shortly after school resumed. 

Not quite the end - our friend had a nervous breakdown and spent a month in a convalescent resort recovering.

18 minutes ago, French bean said:

There you go again. Cheap imported labour. No one forced you to leave the country,

I wasn´t talking about myself. I´m still quite fit, thank you. Cheap imported labour would solve a big part of the problem while helping those living in abhorrent conditions in third world countries to have at least less abhorrent conditions (like a roof over their heads, food on the plate, running water, toilets...). Of course, wages in Cyprus are lower but the terms of the residence permit for those workers make it quite clear that they are here merely for the benefit of Cypriots. E. g. they have to leave after 6 years unless their employer is still alive and renews the contract (http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf/All/5314ED0D3F68CA9EC2257E4B00277425?OpenDocument). I´m not supporting those terms though.

You have a lot to say about my suggestion but I´m still waiting for your proposal. Send elderly to old age homes?

Well every tax payer has to pay social versicherung, as the government spending is under control then there is no reason why tax couldn't be used to help with elderly care,especially as the baby boomers are getting old and are placing an ever greater burden on those of working age. There is also the idea that the Krankenkasse's might want to look at owning a few homes. The are not allowed to make a profit, any money left over has to be ploughed back into benefitting the members. I bet if they did a trial of running a few homes themselves, especially as a lot of their money goes into health care for the elderly, they could probably have better standards than some of the service providers and for a lower cost to the resident and family.

4 minutes ago, French bean said:

Well every tax payer has to pay social versicherung, as the government spending is under control then there is no reason why tax couldn't be used to help with elderly care,

It´s a pie in the sky dream to believe that public systems could finance private care at current terms. Nursing insurance contributions would probably have to be as high as health insurance - if not more.

But it can help to reduce cost rather than take over costs. The private companies also need to be regulated, non of this self regulation business. If they know there is public money going into something then they will put prices up whether it's justified or not.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Cheap imported labour would solve a big part of the problem while helping those living in abhorrent conditions in third world countries to have at least less abhorrent conditions (like a roof over their heads, food on the plate, running water, toilets...).

Would solve one problem, would create hundred of other problems. Who will pay for their health insurance, education, social services, etc?

Your 3rd world argument is worthless. Following your reasoning, we should import 6 billion people?

4 hours ago, French bean said:

But it can help to reduce cost

This is exactly my point.

4 hours ago, French bean said:

The private companies also need to be regulated, non of this self regulation business. If they know there is public money going into something then they will put prices up whether it's justified or not.

Following your way of thinking (raising wages) even the justified cost would be much too high. So I´m still waiting to hear a solution from you.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Would solve one problem, would create hundred of other problems. Who will pay for their health insurance, education, social services, etc?

If you apply the Cypriot solution the cost of their healthcare is deducted from their salary and once the employer dies they will have to leave the country. They merely get temporary residence (see the link I postet above). Still unfair, I know but not more unfair than leaving them in their current circumstances.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Your 3rd world argument is worthless. Following your reasoning, we should import 6 billion people?

Why? Just as many as needed.

16 hours ago, jeba said:

Tell me what you´d do if you or your parents were faced with the choice of going to an old age home or employing a live-in carer at terms you can afford? What´s your solution? Employing 2 carers for north of € 5000/month if your pension is a not even a third of that (average pension is around € 1500.-)?

First, having 2 private caretakers is already a big privilege, if every old person was entitled to have 2 private caretakers we wouldn't have enough people to do other jobs.

And what would I do? I don't know, my parents are 79 and 68 and taking care of themselves, when the time comes I will let you know.  But I guess, they did what every other not entitled person did, specially when you live in a neoliberal third world country following the magic of American dream free markets, because "they fix the problems by themselves", they saved a bit their whole life and have some assets to rely on when things get bad.

One question, as far as you have said, you are not working, after breakfast you are free.   Can't you take care of your mother?

12 hours ago, john g. said:

Here in Greece..or to be exact on Crete, where I am...average wage for those with qualifications eg teachers, engineers and the rest of it..is around 900 euros a month. If you don´t have family to support you and you´re old and infirm...you´re fucked. IF you say to someone, I´ll give you 500 euros a month to help my old mum..they´d jump at the chance.

I understand jeba.

He moved to Cyprus, that's now a different scenario, he is there living there and hiring helpers following the local rules, nothing wrong with it.   The problem was with his mentality that we should not have minimum wage so he can import cheap ILLEGAL labor from "poor" countries like Poland.   Sure, Poland is a very poor country.

8 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

No, not 6 billion people, just 2 Polish to take care of his mother.

4 hours ago, jeba said:

So I´m still waiting to hear a solution from you.

I have one... 

Pack up shop... head off to Cyprus.. take your Mum.. ... Live in their cheap climate.. Keep your German property and rape your Tennats of their Money...  Then come on TT and call these people who want a decent lifestyle for their coleagues a bunch of terrorists..

How does that sound?

47 minutes ago, Krieg said:

First, having 2 private caretakers is already a big privilege

Which is only necessary because of German labour law (requiring 11 hours of rest between 2 shifts). You don´t need that in Cyprus.

they saved a bit their whole life and have some assets to rely on when things get bad.

They will need to have saved a lot, not just a bit if they want to employ a private carer in line with German laws.

Can't you take care of your mother?

That´s what I did until 2 months ago (when she passed away). Still suffering from the lumbago I acquired when lifting her.

He moved to Cyprus, that's now a different scenario, he is there living there and hiring helpers following the local rules, nothing wrong with it.   The problem was with his mentality that we should not have minimum wage so he can import cheap ILLEGAL labor from "poor" countries like Poland.

No, my point was that it shouldn´t be made illegal to hire cheap carers so my mother wouldn´t have had to leave Germany to avoid ending up in an old-age home. Btw while hiring a carer in line with local regulations had been our plan it didn´t come to fruition since we had to return to Germany since Cyprus doesn´t allow doctors to prescribe potentially lethal doses of morphine even if needed to fight cancer pain (in Germany they can do that).

And what would I do? I don't know,

No comment needed.

46 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

I have one... 

Pack up shop... head off to Cyprus.. take your Mum.. ... Live in their cheap climate.. Keep your German property and rape your Tennats of their Money...  Then come on TT and call these people who want a decent lifestyle for their coleagues a bunch of terrorists..

How does that sound?

Sounds reasonable as long as you call only those terrorists taking the public hostage for their unreasonable demands (like raises of more 30%). Plus I´d rather get rid of German property since you´ll have to pay tax on German rental income. Mine is on the market now. If you´re interested let me know. You can have it free of commission.

4 minutes ago, jeba said:

That´s what I did until 2 months ago (when she passed away). Still suffering from the lumbago I acquired when lifting her.

I am sorry for your loss.

4 minutes ago, jeba said:

No, my point was that it shouldn´t be made illegal to hire cheap carers so my mother wouldn´t have had to leave Germany to avoid ending up in an old-age home.

But allowing to have cheap labor is not the solution either, it might solve your particular needs but it is very bad for the country in general.   Before the minimum wage laws here in Berlin plenty of people were working full time jobs for 450 EUR a month because they had no other chance.   It was hell.  Businesses said they would be bankrupt because they wouldn't be able to afford the minimum wage salaries, some years into it and everything is OK.

Jeba.. I am also sorry for you losses, Your Wife and your mother.. 

It could be greif that is causing you to become a moaning old Jeremytwo.

As you are now free from most burdens, why does it bother you so much how much of a pay rise folk get?

A 30% pay rise will mean that these badly paid workers will get an increase of 9€ to 11.7€... 

You come across as a right tight arse and selfish person. 

Stop being Greedy... get a job and stop living on handouts!

2 minutes ago, Krieg said:

it might solve your particular needs but it is very bad for the country in general.

It wouldn´t have covered just my mom´s particular needs. There are many elderly facing the same dilemma. You have to offset that against those working in lowly paid jobs who will get their salary topped up by the state anyway if needed. Where I used to live (Franconia) the minumim wage is meaningless anyway because nobody will be prepared to work for it. Even a cleaner paid under the table will charge you more. And as I said before even if you are prepared to pay a company and have insurance cover it doesn´t help if they don´t have free capacity. That´s why at least for private households it should be legalised to employ cheap foreign labour.

On 7.2.2019, 08:22:46, jeba said:

Verdi is taking innocent travelers hostage again. I´m fed up with them. Not only are their demands unreasonable (like pay hikes of 30%) but they are disrupting the lives of lots of people who have no say in the matter anyway. There should be laws against strikes in which groups with control over essential functions can inflict pain on so many people. At the very least they should have to announce strike action well in advance so that people can make alternative arrangements.

Do you want to return to the "good old days" when the employee was treated like a slave? No rights and even having to ask his employers permission to marry who sometimes only allowed this if he could spend the first night with the bride to be. No sickness pay,holidays, or  pensions. The employers are 99%organised in their employers asociations, and could lock out  or sack their employees but they should , according to your contribution not be allowed to strike?

9 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

A 30% pay rise will mean that these badly paid workers will get an increase of 9€ to 11.7€... 

No, they are getting € 13 already and want € 20.-.

why does it bother you so much how much of a pay rise folk get?

Because in my book pay rises should be determined according to inflation and changes in productivity. Everything beyond that is skewing the balance between differnt groups of people. Plus my main point is that they are taking innocent bystanders hostage. Especially vulnerable ones. Do you understand what it means for someome who is wheelchair bound and cannot use the toilet in a plane if there is a delay of their journey?

Stop being Greedy... get a job and stop living on handouts!

What handouts?