Moving out process done the right way?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a few questions on what is the correct procedure to handle my move out process.

Me and my girlfriend are moving in together, ETA May 1st. But before, she has to leave her current flat before the end of March. In the meantime, she will move in with me until our new flat is ready.

If I understood correctly, the steps we have to follow are below, but if someone could double check and advise, it would be great.

1. She gets the confirmation from her current landlord that she no longer lives at her flat from 31.03.2019

2. I request my current Verwaltung for an additional tenant

3. My current Verwaltung accepts

4. She does the Anmeldung with me at a local Bürgeramt

5. I send the leave notice to my current Verwaltung effective 30.04.2019

6. We get the confirmation from my current Verwaltung that we will no longer live at the current flat as of 30.04.2019

7. We move in together

8. We register at the new address in a Bürgeramt

Also quick questions:

- What to do if my current Verwaltung does not accept an extra tenant? And if they do, should I expect an increase in rent? (I need to double check my contract on this)

- Should I add a month of buffer on my leave date in case the new flat is not ready on time?

Thank you in advance!

You need to inform your current landlord of your plan to leave and ask if she/he wants you to find another tenant and, if so, what the new rent will be.

You are not finding an "extra tenant". You will be finding a new tenant if your landlord agrees.

I don't think your gf should give notice until you've gotten permission from your verwaltung.  However, I think she can actually just live with you if it's only for a month without any special arrangement but can't quite remember.  

neither of you need "agreement" or confirmation from the landlord that you will be leaving your apartments.  You do need to send the notice in writing, delivered by post using einschreiben einwurf, then print the delivery confirmation for the letter using the tracking number.  If you can get a written sign off, of course it's better but it's not strictly necessary.  Has she sent her notice yet?  If not it may already be too late to end her lease as of March 31 as normally the notice period is three months so she would have needed to cancel at the start of January.  I think you are already too late to give notice to quit at the end of April, too, now that I think about it.  Check your contracts!

you completely missed the moving out inspection and handover of the keys!  you need to complete an übergabeprotokol to note any damage you caused (or better, to get it in writing that you didn't cause any damage) and that kind of thing.  lots of threads on this.

I would also not give notice on your current place until you have a fully signed contract for the new place with a move in date.  In the worst case, if the apartment isn't ready, you'd have a case against your new landlord.  I honestly have never heard of a rented apartment not being ready by the contractual date, but if it happened you could demand the landlord cover a hotel or other temporary digs while s/he gets their act together.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

You need to inform your current landlord of your plan to leave and ask if she/he wants you to find another tenant and, if so, what the new rent will be.

You are not finding an "extra tenant". You will be finding a new tenant if your landlord agrees.

I think the OP meant he wanted to get permission to have an extra tenant = extra person in the flat.

I would not get into looking for a nachmieter unless I wanted out "early" :)  But unless they have short notice periods, they may well need to try this since end of march move out is not possible with a three month frist, and end of april is also not likely to work even if they both gave notice immediately.

32 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I think the OP meant he wanted to get permission to have an extra tenant = extra person in the flat.

I would not get into looking for a nachmieter unless I wanted out "early" :)  But unless they have short notice periods, they may well need to try this since end of march move out is not possible with a three month frist, and end of april is also not likely to work even if they both gave notice immediately.

The permission is for my girlfriend to move in with me, not for seeking a Nachmieter. When I give the notice to leave the flat, I will offer that to them.

Since we are only moving in together and out of my current flat in May, that might be the case as the three month notice will not fully cover the "interim" period.

38 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I don't think your gf should give notice until you've gotten permission from your verwaltung.  However, I think she can actually just live with you if it's only for a month without any special arrangement but can't quite remember.  

neither of you need "agreement" or confirmation from the landlord that you will be leaving your apartments.  You do need to send the notice in writing, delivered by post using einschreiben einwurf, then print the delivery confirmation for the letter using the tracking number.  If you can get a written sign off, of course it's better but it's not strictly necessary.  Has she sent her notice yet?  If not it may already be too late to end her lease as of March 31 as normally the notice period is three months so she would have needed to cancel at the start of January.  I think you are already too late to give notice to quit at the end of April, too, now that I think about it.  Check your contracts!

you completely missed the moving out inspection and handover of the keys!  you need to complete an übergabeprotokol to note any damage you caused (or better, to get it in writing that you didn't cause any damage) and that kind of thing.  lots of threads on this.

I would also not give notice on your current place until you have a fully signed contract for the new place with a move in date.  In the worst case, if the apartment isn't ready, you'd have a case against your new landlord.  I honestly have never heard of a rented apartment not being ready by the contractual date, but if it happened you could demand the landlord cover a hotel or other temporary digs while s/he gets their act together.

Hi,

Good point with the inspection, I need to account for that too, thanks! Regarding the notice on our current place I am indeed just waiting for the contract to arrive and sign, after which I will send the notice. I am aware the deadlines are tight but I don't mind covering an extra month of rent if need be, I am lucky it is a rather cheap place.

My only concern with the next flat is that its construction is still being finalized. The move-in date is May 1st, but I want to be a bit on the careful side in the event the construction company is the same as the BER airport. In this case I could just submit the move out date end of May, for example, and still have a one month buffer.

Cheers