Thoughts on Connewitz?

3 posts in this topic

You may remember me for asking stupid questions about finding an apartment in Leipzig.  I have set up a short term apartment for myself and my four legged best friend.   We are to move to Leipzig in March. The apartment is on Biedermann Straße near the corner of Probsthiedaer Straße. I am a little concerned about the area.  I have never been to Connewitz, but have heard it can be rough around the edges.  Unfortunately all the available google earth photos, date back to 2008.   This is only a three month rental, while I search for a permanent apartment. When I do search I am looking in the West Zentrum, and Gohlis, and possibly Grunau.  Have been to Grunau and didn't find it terrible, just a bit isolated from the rest of the city.  I don't really care about the "party" scene as I am not of the partying generation anymore.  I do worry about a safe area, where I can walk my pet without being harassed, or worse.  I welcome your feedback. Just for what it's worth, I have lived in both the East Village in NYC, and in the Tenderloin area of San Francisco. I lived many years, in Berkeley California as well. My political views lean to the left, so that is not my concern.

Kenny

Good for you.   I have lost track of your German knowledge but if you can read it there is a hell of a lot of information about locations often.    When I set up in east Berlin, I found a large number of city reports about individual districts and their populace, income levels, social mix, prospects and plans and also challenges, and mountains more.  They drive planning and funding and such.   Very informative.  There is also a very long wikipedia entry on this area - it is growing which is usually not a bad sign and certainly not in this part of the country, where populations often decline.

Right on!!!!

I am so happy for you Kenny :)

unfortunately I can't offer any experience with Connewitz - hopefully someone comes along soon with some tips