Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do you get unemployment benefits in Germany if you lose your job but you are still self-employed?

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I want to start self-employment as a side job to my part time job. Could somebody advice me with the questions below. Since it's a very specific case, I could not find any answers:

• Do you get unemployment benefits in Germany if you lose your job but you are self-employed at that time?
  • If yes, is there a limit of how much you can earn from self-employment?

Please let me know if there is anything else to be aware when having a part time self employment next to your job - really appreciate. 

Thank you!

43 minutes ago, SaraBerlin said:

Hi all,

I want to start self-employment as a side job to my part time job. Could somebody advice me with the questions below. Since it's a very specific case, I could not find any answers:

• Do you get unemployment benefits in Germany if you lose your job but you are self-employed at that time?

Generally yes, but there are some conditions:

43 minutes ago, SaraBerlin said:
  • If yes, is there a limit of how much you can earn from self-employment?

Yes, it only remains as much as you have earned with part-time self-employment on average over the last 12 months. Anything that goes beyond this will be credited and ALG1 reduced accordingly. The additional income must be declared monthly to the employment office. 

The second condition: The part-time self-employment must have been exercised for at least 12 months in the last 18 months before the start of the entitlement to ALG 1.

Third condition: Self-employment is carried out for less than 15 hours per week. 

(And of course you must have paid at least 12 months into the unemployment insurance to get anything at all. With 12 months of deposits, that's 6 months ALG1.)