Can you support a family of 4 in Karlsruhe when another parent is stay-home parent?

50 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Nesdie said:

Thank you all for your answers. I really didn't mean to start a conversation about asylum seekers, stabbings etc and I hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings with my (probably false!) prejudices about Pforzheim. I'm looking forward to our "new life" later this year somewhere in B-W :)

There are very few places in Germany that are unsafe, so regardless of where you end up in and around BW you're going to be fine! I was surprised when I moved here that Maklers (real estate agents) invariably warned me about certain areas of the city as 'dangerous', despite the fact that I'm a foreigner too. What they meant was multi-cultural. When you get here take some time to walk around different areas, you can quickly see which areas don't appeal and which do.  

3 hours ago, Nesdie said:

Thank you all for your answers. I really didn't mean to start a conversation about asylum seekers, stabbings etc and I hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings with my (probably false!) prejudices about Pforzheim. I'm looking forward to our "new life" later this year somewhere in B-W :)

Just a typical day or two on this hilarious forum. 🙄

7 hours ago, Nesdie said:

Very useful information, thank you swimmer!

Good point and just to be clear we are not "avoiding" Pforzheim for its high rate of immigrants (we're foreigners and non-English - speakers ourselves there!) but for it's bad reputation: high unemployment resulting to social problems and unsafety BUT this is just what I have read / heard and we're totally ready change our minds on this if Pforzheim really isn't that problematic. ☺️

Maybe you should though.  If you are planning to live in Germany for a while (who knows), you might want your kids to adapt well to the German school system, learn German well, go to gymnasium instead of hauptschule etc. and their odds in the school system are better if they are in a school where the majority of the kids are German.  German friends of mine opted to send their daughter to Catholic school instead of the public school because of that ratio.  They actually got the tip from E-European neighbours. 

10 hours ago, Nesdie said:

I'm just curious, where did you get your previous information from?

BTW, train in Germany is pretty expensive, I think a daily commute from Karlsruhe to Pforzheim is not a great idea, especially since the whole conversation started about the cost of living ...

At your place, I'd rather live in Pforzheim and might avoid those areas where around 40% voted for AfD ... just my personal preference ... I don't want to be surrounded by racists ... 

On 7.2.2019 klo, Thai said:

I'm just curious, where did you get your previous information from?

BTW, train in Germany is pretty expensive, I think a daily commute from Karlsruhe to Pforzheim is not a great idea, especially since the whole conversation started about the cost of living ...

At your place, I'd rather live in Pforzheim and might avoid those areas where around 40% voted for AfD ... just my personal preference ... I don't want to be surrounded by racists ... 

I think initially from some basic google-searches about Pforzheim and then when I asked about it in an (internet) forum of expats (from my home country) in Karlsruhe they also suspected/suggested that Pforzheim is not that "thriving". 

Large population of right wing extremists is certainly unappealing... However we'll definately visit Pforzheim next month and see how it feels ☺️

On 6.2.2019 klo, swimmer said:

Unemployment in Pforzheim area is about 4% and 6% in the city.   The first is pretty close to natural rate of full employment :blink:.    Are you sure someone is not telling you tall tales, or you are thinking of the right place?   At the very least, you might want to read some up to date information.    My city centre district of a town further north has higher unemployment than that and it is a brilliant place to live, there would be zero reason for me to instead live in my nearby thriving big foreigner-friendly city (Frankfurt).   If it was an unemployment blackspot, you would also probably not be getting a good job there.   As I said, it is foreigners who drive our growth.   To me, there is nothing to frighten the horses at all there - typical south German setting by the sounds of it.

ttps://www.pz-news.de/wirtschaft_artikel,-Arbeitslosigkeit-in-Pforzheim-und-der-Region-geht-zurueck-Goldstadt-weiter-Schlusslicht-_arid,1188963.html

As to the point on rental prices,  German city centres often have very diverse housing.   You get comfortable fully serviced residential blocks next to that which is less comfortable (older, not maintained, near busy roads, no outdoor space).  My advice is always to look at micro-location carefully.   Look past the generic list of offers to the detail of the property and its locale.  Compative rental prices are of couse and indicator of that.

Very useful information, thank you swimmer!

On 6.2.2019 klo, Thai said:

According to this article, Pforzheim is the second safest city in Baden-Wuerttemberg:

https://www.pz-news.de/pforzheim_artikel,-Interview-zur-Kriminalstatistik-Pforzheim-weiterhin-zweitsicherste-Stadt-im-Land-_arid,1219036.html

Maybe someone right-wing who is afraid of foreigners told you those negative stories about Pforzheim ...

It might not be a particularly exciting place, but not particularly scary either. 

On 6.2.2019 klo, jeba said:

Migration of foreigners because they found work isn´t necessarily a reason to avoid an area. I´d be more worried about those who are out of the labour market. I used to live near Karlstadt a. M., a small town with a lot of Turks since there were jobs for them. However, they didn´t cause problems. They might have changed the fabric of the town quite a bit it still was a nice little town with low crime and I felt perfectly safe there.

Good point and just to be clear we are not "avoiding" Pforzheim for its high rate of immigrants (we're foreigners and non-English - speakers ourselves there!) but for it's bad reputation: high unemployment resulting to social problems and unsafety BUT this is just what I have read / heard and we're totally ready change our minds on this if Pforzheim really isn't that problematic. ☺️

On 06/02/2019, 08:16:51, jeba said:

That´s the average income, not the median (which separates the upper 50% from the lower 50%) according to the link you postet.

Durchschnittliches monatliches Nettoeinkommen der Familien in Baden-Württemberg seit 2012 nach Anzahl der Kinder*)

*) Durchschnittliches Nettoeinkommen (Median)

On 06/02/2019, 13:24:09, Nesdie said:

That's a very good question! Reason: my job is in Pforzheim and I'm a bit worried about it, especially the safety and the schools in there, the reputation of Pforzheim is quite bad, do you know is it really so unsafe...? 

Smaller towns near Pforzheim seem idyllic but we're a bit worried about how easy it is for foreigners in a small town. 

I live just outside Pforzheim, it’s true that it looks like a pretty shitty city and the character is different to many other German cities due to the number of foreigners, but it really is not a problem. (It’s much nicer here than the British town my wife comes from.) There’s (nearly) everything here that we need and I don’t feel unsafe in the town. It’s not perfect, for example the big swimming pool in the centre closed as the town couldn’t afford to repair it, but at the same time one of the parks that had a bad reputation has been cleaned up. There are plenty of parks and outdoor pools on the summer. It is true that there a lot of kebab shops, but other options such as curry or sushi are opening up here. 

As with any town there are good parts and bad parts, with that wage in Pforzheim you’ll be fine. Equally the schools are mixed, but some of them do have good reputations, even if the building doesn’t look great. 

On 2/3/2019, 9:54:46, Nesdie said:

First of all; I apologize for any mistakes I make in language, I'm not a native English -speaker.

My question may sound weird but we are contemplating moving to Karlsruhe so that only I would initially work and my husband would stay home to learn more German and to help the kids adjust etc. We come from Scandinavia and both of us work outside of home at the moment. Rents in Karslruhe seen relatively high. My work would require commuting by train - thus it makes most sense to rent a flat quite near the train station, obviously not the cheapest area. Is it madness to think that I could support alone for the whole family (for at least a few months - year, before my husband would hopefully also find a job)? With Kindergarten fees also, because kids need to learn German, my eldest probably would go to school at age 6? My salary would not be quite bad, approximately 5800€/month before taxes and places we have been looking for have been around 1000 - 1200€/month WARMMiete. The taxation is so different (I know that size of family has an impact on your tax rate) that I have no idea what to expect and also the costs of living are really difficult to calculate in advance...

Thank you for your responses!

You may also consider seeking government help. Your husband can temporarily go on government assistance since you are the only one who will be working and you can also apply for social apartment since you have a big gamilx

and you would have higher chance of getting one.