Can you support a family of 4 in Karlsruhe when another parent is stay-home parent?

50 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jeba said:

Migration of foreigners because they found work isn´t necessarily a reason to avoid an area. I´d be more worried about those who are out of the labour market. I used to live near Karlstadt a. M., a small town with a lot of Turks since there were jobs for them. However, they didn´t cause problems. They might have changed the fabric of the town quite a bit it still was a nice little town with low crime and I felt perfectly safe there.

Good point and just to be clear we are not "avoiding" Pforzheim for its high rate of immigrants (we're foreigners and non-English - speakers ourselves there!) but for it's bad reputation: high unemployment resulting to social problems and unsafety BUT this is just what I have read / heard and we're totally ready change our minds on this if Pforzheim really isn't that problematic. ☺️

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pforzheim isn't known as particularly unsafe to me - and I am from Baden-Wuerttemberg originally. Why I would avoid Pforzheim nowadays is it's high percentage of AfD voters - it was the highest in Baden-Wuerttemberg at the last elections. 

 

However, the percentage of AfD-voters in Pforzheim is particularly high in an area where 2/3 of the inhabitants are ethnic Germans who came from the former Soviet Union - who are technically migrants themselves. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unemployment in Pforzheim area is about 4% and 6% in the city.   The first is pretty close to natural rate of full employment :blink:.    Are you sure someone is not telling you tall tales, or you are thinking of the right place?   At the very least, you might want to read some up to date information.    My city centre district of a town further north has higher unemployment than that and it is a brilliant place to live, there would be zero reason for me to instead live in my nearby thriving big foreigner-friendly city (Frankfurt).   If it was an unemployment blackspot, you would also probably not be getting a good job there.   As I said, it is foreigners who drive our growth.   To me, there is nothing to frighten the horses at all there - typical south German setting by the sounds of it.

 

ttps://www.pz-news.de/wirtschaft_artikel,-Arbeitslosigkeit-in-Pforzheim-und-der-Region-geht-zurueck-Goldstadt-weiter-Schlusslicht-_arid,1188963.html

 

As to the point on rental prices,  German city centres often have very diverse housing.   You get comfortable fully serviced residential blocks next to that which is less comfortable (older, not maintained, near busy roads, no outdoor space).  My advice is always to look at micro-location carefully.   Look past the generic list of offers to the detail of the property and its locale.  Compative rental prices are of couse and indicator of that.

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to this article, Pforzheim is the second safest city in Baden-Wuerttemberg:

https://www.pz-news.de/pforzheim_artikel,-Interview-zur-Kriminalstatistik-Pforzheim-weiterhin-zweitsicherste-Stadt-im-Land-_arid,1219036.html

 

Maybe someone right-wing who is afraid of foreigners told you those negative stories about Pforzheim ...

 

It might not be a particularly exciting place, but not particularly scary either. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Thai said:

However, the percentage of AfD-voters in Pforzheim is particularly high in an area where 2/3 of the inhabitants are ethnic Germans who came from the former Soviet Union - who are technically migrants themselves. 

 

To my knowledge none of the 15 year old girls that have been stabbed in the last years were stabbed by AfD-voters.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swimmer said:

Unemployment in Pforzheim area is about 4% and 6% in the city.   The first is pretty close to natural rate of full employment :blink:.    Are you sure someone is not telling you tall tales, or you are thinking of the right place?   At the very least, you might want to read some up to date information.    My city centre district of a town further north has higher unemployment than that and it is a brilliant place to live, there would be zero reason for me to instead live in my nearby thriving big foreigner-friendly city (Frankfurt).   If it was an unemployment blackspot, you would also probably not be getting a good job there.   As I said, it is foreigners who drive our growth.   To me, there is nothing to frighten the horses at all there - typical south German setting by the sounds of it.

 

ttps://www.pz-news.de/wirtschaft_artikel,-Arbeitslosigkeit-in-Pforzheim-und-der-Region-geht-zurueck-Goldstadt-weiter-Schlusslicht-_arid,1188963.html

 

As to the point on rental prices,  German city centres often have very diverse housing.   You get comfortable fully serviced residential blocks next to that which is less comfortable (older, not maintained, near busy roads, no outdoor space).  My advice is always to look at micro-location carefully.   Look past the generic list of offers to the detail of the property and its locale.  Compative rental prices are of couse and indicator of that.

 

Very useful information, thank you swimmer!

1 hour ago, Thai said:

According to this article, Pforzheim is the second safest city in Baden-Wuerttemberg:

https://www.pz-news.de/pforzheim_artikel,-Interview-zur-Kriminalstatistik-Pforzheim-weiterhin-zweitsicherste-Stadt-im-Land-_arid,1219036.html

 

Maybe someone right-wing who is afraid of foreigners told you those negative stories about Pforzheim ...

 

It might not be a particularly exciting place, but not particularly scary either. 

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Migration of foreigners because they found work isn´t necessarily a reason to avoid an area. I´d be more worried about those who are out of the labour market. I used to live near Karlstadt a. M., a small town with a lot of Turks since there were jobs for them. However, they didn´t cause problems. They might have changed the fabric of the town quite a bit it still was a nice little town with low crime and I felt perfectly safe there.

Good point and just to be clear we are not "avoiding" Pforzheim for its high rate of immigrants (we're foreigners and non-English - speakers ourselves there!) but for it's bad reputation: high unemployment resulting to social problems and unsafety BUT this is just what I have read / heard and we're totally ready change our minds on this if Pforzheim really isn't that problematic. ☺️

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

 

To my knowledge none of the 15 year old girls that have been stabbed in the last years were stabbed by AfD-voters.

 

How do you know which party criminals vote for? 

 

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go for Pforzheim if I were you. If you can convince yourself that it's more or less as safe a place to live as Ka, then why put yourself through the commute if you don't have to? I must admit I'm a bit biased - I don't like Karlsruhe much. It's flat for one! There are some nice neighbourhoods in the hills on the outskirts of Pf. - I'd live somewhere there if I moved there. Downtowm Pf. has become less grungy in the last 5-10 years and probably has as much to offer in terms of cafes, restaurants, museums etc. as Ka. Downtown Ka. is depressing I find.

You're probably right about not fitting in easily in a small town/village. I live in one about 40 mins from Ka. and it's all still extremely strange to me! More chance of finding some sense of belonging in a city I think - strange as it may sound!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

 

To my knowledge none of the 15 year old girls that have been stabbed in the last years were stabbed by AfD-voters.

 

On the other hand we are talking about Pforzheim and not Freiburg.

 

28 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

How do you know which party criminals vote for?

 

I think it is safe to assume that rejected asylum seekers are not allowed to vote.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" my job is in Pforzheim and I'm a bit worried about it, especially the safety and the schools in there, the reputation of Pforzheim is quite bad, do you know is it really so unsafe...?  "

I am living in Germany for quite a while. However, I don't know, which places one would call unsafe to live.

My prejudice is, large towns in the north of Germany - people in the south are more Catholic ->less crime.

The crime rate in Berlin is three? times higher than Munich.

 

So, where are the unsafe places in Germany?

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get now that the OP has likely read racist fake news and such, not facts. The post re. AfD interest there helped me figure that out.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Actually, it was Answer to Life who mentioned the stabbings.

 

I'm assuming that he was referring to this one:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Kandel_stabbing_attack

 

When I mentioned Freiburg I was thinking of:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Freiburg_gang_rape

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Maria_Ladenburger

 

There have been quite a few articles in the mainstream German press about a systematic problem in Freiburg due to asylum seekers who are (falsely) claiming to be minors and have been committing crimes in the city.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I think it is safe to assume that rejected asylum seekers are not allowed to vote.

 

The only 15-year-old girl recently stabbed to death was presumably killed by her Bulgarian ex-boyfriend. The crime took place in Viersen. 

 

So, what do (rejected) asylum seekers have to do with it? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, engelchen said:

 

That's not really an answer to my question. Where does this fixation on (rejected) asylum seekers come from? 

 

14-year-old Keira was stabbed to death in Berlin by a 15-year-old German classmate. (Is there any information about which party the parents voted for? The perpetrator is not yet entitled to vote at the age of 15 ...) 

 

And to which party did the German Thomas H. give his voice before he killed his Bulgarian neighbour (24) and her child (6) with a knife? Are there any more detailed findings? 

 

 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

none of the 15 year old girls that have been stabbed

 

This made it sound like multiple stabbings of 15 year old girls was becoming the norm. 

 

I haven't heard of any recent incidents.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your answers. I really didn't mean to start a conversation about asylum seekers, stabbings etc and I hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings with my (probably false!) prejudices about Pforzheim. I'm looking forward to our "new life" later this year somewhere in B-W :)

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now