Claiming UK pension in Germany

25 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

That is still not clear to me. A widows pension yes, but for a spouse who has never made NI contributions or who only paid the married women's NI contribution I don't think there is anything until the husband dies. I would very much welcome being wrong as it would be very good for my wife, please clarify.

That´s exactly my situation. I never paid contributions to the public system but my wife had done so. When she died I started receiving a widower´s pension of 60% of what would have been her disability pension at the time she died. It think that level has been reduced to 55% now for those who married after a certain cut-off date.

I'll also look into this again...things do change...  I asked the UK pensions department a few years ago about what happens to my pension contributions if I die.  Would my husband get anything?  I didn't even get as far as him being a non UK citizen without having made contributions.  No, widowers get nothing.  It did sound like widows might though I wasn't paying much attention as it was irrelevant at the time.

I checked up on this today. Hope it makes sense to you : 

Source :  https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility 

You’re eligible for the basic State Pension if you were born before:

• 6 April 1951 if you’re a man
  • 6 April 1953 if you’re a woman

HOWEVER !

if you are younger than that, then you are eligible for the *new* state pension.

The state pension had a the 60% spouse clause.

The *new* state pension does not have that.

This spouse clause supplied up to 60% of the main earner's pension also to the spouse

even without their NI contributions.

That's my understanding of the GOV website. Please correct me if I'm wrong....

would also mean I get to claim the 60% (I read that I am too young)

3 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

I checked up on this today. Hope it makes sense to you : 

Source :  https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility 

You’re eligible for the basic State Pension if you were born before:

• 6 April 1951 if you’re a man
  • 6 April 1953 if you’re a woman

HOWEVER !

if you are younger than that, then you are eligible for the *new* state pension.

The state pension had a the 60% spouse clause.

The *new* state pension does not have that.

This spouse clause supplied up to 60% of the main earner's pension also to the spouse

even without their NI contributions.

That's my understanding of the GOV website. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

would also mean I get to claim the 60% (I read that I am too young)

Yes I certainly see what you mean reading the link you posted. My guess though is that would only apply if the spouse had no other income, e.g. not a German state pension, the get out being " you might qualify for a ‘top up’ to £75.50 per week ". In this case I bet the might implies it would be means tested and not a right. Good one to know though as my wife "might qualify" when she retires as I retired before April 2016.

@norris green please keep us updated.