Moving Expenses from USA

9 posts in this topic

Hello, all. I have posted here before about me and my husband's upcoming move to the Hamburg/Lübeck area this summer. He is currently going through negotiations with his company for things like, relocation assistance. Has anyone else moved from the United States who could give me a ballpark of what we should be asking for? There's only two of us, and we won't be bringing much furniture with us, but things like pictures, clothes, a small desk, etc. will still be (what I anticipate) a lot of money to ship internationally. What kind of relocation assistance did your company give you? Do you have any services or companies you would recommend?

Thanks!

We used Rainier https://www.rainieros.com/ moving from US and were very happy with them.  We moved a small amount of furniture and personal things, I think it was around $7000 (40ft container, Houston to Bremerhaven) but we also had to store our things on both sides for a short time.  They packed everything for us and unpacked at the other end.

I suggest that you get the company to pay for everything directly, rather than give you money.  If they give you money then you will be taxed on this similar to your normal salary.  

Other things to consider are;

• Tax advisor in Germany (at least for the first year)
  • Tax advisor in the US
  • German lessons for you both
  • Pay for the cost of the estate agent

Health  isnurance...  JohnG and Starshollow are the guys to go to...  ( Other insurances are recommended too)

Enough money to buy a new kitchen... (6-10 grand will get you a fairly nice one with appliances... )

I would estimate a relocation to cost in the region of 20-25 thousand euro if you are shipping Half a container ( 2 Crates) worth of stuff incling first few months of Temp accommodation and eating out for those few months...

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Health  isnurance...  JohnG and Starshollow are the guys to go to...  ( Other insurances are recommended too)

Enough money to buy a new kitchen... (6-10 grand will get you a fairly nice one with appliances... )

I would estimate a relocation to cost in the region of 20-25 thousand euro if you are shipping Half a container ( 2 Crates) worth of stuff including first few months of Temp accommodation and eating out for those few months...

I don't know how current this topic is, but unless you have furniture you are really sentimental about, don't waste time/money

bringing it over. You can get adequate furniture over here for a lot less than it costs to ship. This won't be Hülsta quality, but it will

serve your purpose initially. Ship stuff like clothes, books, pictures, personal items, but no beds, couches, etc. Needless to say,

leave all the 110V stuff at home. Good, used furniture can be readily had through ebay ads. As an example, take a look at

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de and enter Kategorie =  "couch" and "Hamburg". I had 1303 hits, so there is bound to be

something in there that will suit your needs. As a last resort there is always Ikea.

Do you have a place lined up already? It's a lot easier to go shopping if you know what you need.

As mentioned already, if at all possible, get the company to pay for the real estate agent. The agents ("makler") are the equivalent of

ambulance-chasing lawyers in the US, down on the social scale below cockroaches and dung-beetles. If you contract a Makler

to find you a place, you pay the fees. If you find a place advertised, the landlord is supposed to pay the fees. Either way the Makler

screws somebody. There are so many other things that come to mind, but a lot depends on how much help you will get from your

company, and of course, personal preferences. There should be people in your company that will help you get settled.

BTW, to put things into perspective, my wife comes from Hamburg and our youngest daughter currently lives there. I have been

traveling to Hamburg since 1974, and we would have moved there, had it not become so incredibly expensive to buy a house.

Hi, all! Thanks so much for all your replies, they are all so helpful. I will say, my husband's company has an EXCELLENT package for us, which includes moving costs, our US and German tax preparation, German language lessons (for both of us), paid trips home to the USA every year, temporary housing at no cost, assistance from a real estate agent, as well as a lump sum for pet relocation costs (we have 2 dogs), furniture purchases, and new technology purchases.

We visited Germany earlier in the month and actually found a place on our own. We stayed in an Airbnb and loved it and talked to the landlord about renting long term - so, no fees! The house comes mostly furnished. We do have a small desk we'd like to ship over, as well as our clothes, photos, etc. Nothing big. We have to produce two quotes to his company for the move, so I'm not overly worried about cost, I just need two reputable companies who I can contact - Rainier sounds like a good one I can try. If anyone else knows of one, let me know!

We are moving from Kansas to Konstanz. I’m considering UPackWeShip for the kind of things you are talking about. We aren’t bringing furniture. And since it’s a retirement move the cost is all on us.