Germany - all-Laender brexit advice for resident Brits

120 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rodisi said:

My wife broke her leg two months ago.  She had to have screws put in, which were removed last week.  She has to keep going back to the hospital for check ups, bandage changes etc for another three weeks. 

We had to go to the AOK to get a letter showing proof of health insurance for the Aufenthaltsrecht in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland forms. They gave me one, which said insured up to 29 March.  So what do we do on Monday?  Do I get in the car and drive her back to blighty?

The AOK person said it could be extended to 12 April, depending on what the overpayed, over-expenses claiming, leeches in Parliament decide

Please don't worry, the worst that could happen in case of a hard Brexit is that AOK Hessen would change you over to voluntary membership, which would mean paying for public health insurance every month:

They are by law obliged to keep you on, albeit worst case as a paying member.

Have any other Brits reading this NOT received any kind of government communication about their status post no deal Brexit? My naturalisation application has been in the pipeline for a while now, but other than that I have not heard anything pertaining to my status as a non German citizen in Germany after Brexit.

Nope.  Here (BW) they are waiting and seeing.  They said to apply for residency permit once Brexit has happenned.  And status will depend on what sort of a Brexit it is.

3 minutes ago, Chocky said:

Have any other Brits reading this NOT received any kind of government communication about their status post no deal Brexit? My naturalisation application has been in the pipeline for a while now, but other than that I have not heard anything pertaining to my status as a non German citizen in Germany after Brexit.

I have heard nothing at all. I have learned more from here than I have asking questions at the geminde or kreishaus.

5 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Nope.  Here (BW) they are waiting and seeing.  They said to apply for residency permit once Brexit has happenned.  And status will depend on what sort of a Brexit it is.

2 minutes ago, SusieT said:

I have heard nothing at all. I have learned more from here than I have asking questions at the geminde or kreishaus.

Well that's somewhat reassuring, I guess..

Nope, nothing here in Cologne either. They are waiting until Brexit actually happens here before bothering contacting people or advising them to apply for a residency permit.

I've also been waiting for my application for German citizenship to be decided. I applied in Feb 2018 so it's been just over a year now although I had to wait 7 months to get an appointment to hand all of my documentation in so things don't happen very quickly around here.

12 minutes ago, warsteiner70 said:

I applied in Feb 2018 so it's been just over a year now

:o I guess because it's Kölln and it's one of Germany's biggest cities?

14 minutes ago, Chocky said:

:o I guess because it's Kölln and it's one of Germany's biggest cities?

Possibly but it would be nice if a higher population meant more people to deal with the applications but it's fine. I have the application in before Brexit so I will just go through the process of applying for a residency permit once Brexit happens and, at some point, the decision to my application for German citizenship will come through.

Just before I applied there was an article in the German paper (Express) talking about the amount of Brits who had applied for German citizenship in 2017 and one woman wrote that she waited 10 months for the decision so I don't think it's ever been a quick process here.

5 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

@rodisi What are your circumstances at the moment i.e. employed/unemployed, ALG1, Hartz 4, etc.?

Retired with pension from UK. Never worked in Germany. Retired here nine years ago because the wife's family live here.

@PandaMunich Thanks for the info.  Very useful.

3 hours ago, pappnase said:

EU has just published a bunch of 'No-Deal' fact sheets.  https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/factsheets-and-questions-and-answers_en

5 minutes ago, john_b said:

Useful EU- factsheets on travel between the UK and the EU in the event of “no deal”, the rights of UK nationals living in the EU in the event of “no deal”, the rights of EU citizens living in the UK in the event of “no deal”

https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/factsheets-and-questions-and-answers_de

Thanks for posting, John, but please try to keep up with the others here :D

It is weird that different places in the same land have different attitudes. Reading the sheet from  Landeshauptstadt Hannover, it has something at the bottom that says " Wenn Sie diese genannten Voraussetzungen oder Ausnahmen (noch) nicht erfüllen, kann eventuell nach anderen Bestimmungen eingebürgert werden. Lassen Sie sich von uns beraten." Whereas just outside their border it is to the letter with no room for movement. 

Just now, SusieT said:

It is weird that different places in the same land have different attitudes.

Its due to the Federal system in Germany.  Affects many walks of life.  Consistency is not an in-word.

3 minutes ago, HEM said:

Its due to the Federal system in Germany.  Affects many walks of life.  Consistency is not an in-word.

I have really discovered that with Brexit :angry:  I had thought that at least Niedersachsen would be consistant with itself - if I drove down to NRW I could understand it being different but what appears to be the next auslander office appearing to be more helpful is not good for my head!

So just back again from the ABH.

What I was told so please do not shoot the messenger or even worse troll the messenger (you know who you are).

I actually found someone eventually at the ABH who was extremely helpful and very good in English.

1) 29th March date still stands fro Duel Citizenship in case of a No deal Brexit (keeping UK passport). The ABH have not been told to move the date to April.

2) This I found extremely interesting, based on the current law the ABH cannot give permanent residency to Brits who have been here for more than 5 years. In the best case scenario they will give temporary residence for 3 years and then Brits can apply for permanent residency after this time. It is like on Brexit day based on the current law your time in Germany will start from 0. To give permanent residency to Brits who have been here more than 5 years there will have to be a change in the law which is unlikely. The temporary residence will affect applications for mortgages and credit.

I am not sure how true this information really is or whether it is really true at all.

Maybe @Krieg or @engelchen could comment further.

42 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

So just back again from the ABH.

What I was told so please do not shoot the messenger or even worse troll the messenger (you know who you are).

I actually found someone eventually at the ABH who was extremely helpful and very good in English.

1) 29th March date still stands fro Duel Citizenship in case of a No deal Brexit (keeping UK passport). The ABH have not been told to move the date to April.

2) This I found extremely interesting, based on the current law the ABH cannot give permanent residency to Brits who have been here for more than 5 years. In the best case scenario they will give temporary residence for 3 years and then Brits can apply for permanent residency after this time. It is like on Brexit day based on the current law your time in Germany will start from 0. To give permanent residency to Brits who have been here more than 5 years there will have to be a change in the law which is unlikely. The temporary residence will affect applications for mortgages and credit.

I am not sure how true this information really is or whether it is really true at all.

Maybe @Krieg or @engelchen could comment further.

Thanks for that, I would also be very interested to see what they say because I am totally confused. In the German AufenG 9a is for permenant residence, and 9b 3. defines the time in Germany thats required. I read it as including people here from UK, but I am probably totally wrong and have chilled a bit too early!!

§ 9b Anrechnung von Aufenthaltszeiten

(1) Auf die erforderlichen Zeiten nach § 9a Abs. 2 Satz 1 Nr. 1 werden folgende Zeiten angerechnet:
Zeiten eines Aufenthalts außerhalb des Bundesgebiets, in denen der Ausländer einen Aufenthaltstitel besaß und
a)
sich wegen einer Entsendung aus beruflichen Gründen im Ausland aufgehalten hat, soweit deren Dauer jeweils sechs Monate oder eine von der Ausländerbehörde nach § 51 Abs. 1 Nr. 7 bestimmte längere Frist nicht überschritten hat, oder
b.   die Zeiten sechs aufeinanderfolgende Monate und innerhalb des in § 9a Abs. 2 Satz 1 Nr. 1 genannten Zeitraums insgesamt zehn Monate nicht überschreiten,
Zeiten eines früheren Aufenthalts im Bundesgebiet mit Aufenthaltserlaubnis, Niederlassungserlaubnis oder Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt – EU, wenn der Ausländer zum Zeitpunkt seiner Ausreise im Besitz einer Niederlassungserlaubnis oder einer Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt – EU war und die Niederlassungserlaubnis oder die Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt – EU allein wegen eines Aufenthalts außerhalb von Mitgliedstaaten der Europäischen Union oder wegen des Erwerbs der Rechtsstellung eines langfristig Aufenthaltsberechtigten in einem anderen Mitgliedstaat der Europäischen Union erloschen ist, bis zu höchstens vier Jahre,
Zeiten, in denen der Ausländer freizügigkeitsberechtigt war,
Zeiten eines rechtmäßigen Aufenthalts zum Zweck des Studiums oder der Berufsausbildung im Bundesgebiet zur Hälfte,
bei international Schutzberechtigten der Zeitraum zwischen dem Tag der Beantragung internationalen Schutzes und dem Tag der Erteilung eines aufgrund der Zuerkennung internationalen Schutzes gewährten Aufenthaltstitels.