Germany - all-Laender brexit advice for resident Brits

120 posts in this topic

Keefy, suggest you check the UK  gov. Website for info.

But, your UK pension is based on your contributions while working in the UK. So your pension rights remain whether you are UK or German citizen.

What could be affected is the amount. This is conjecture as we do not know what might be agreed upon.

Currently, UK pensions paid out in EU are same as in the UK. 

Those in Canada and Australia who receive Uk pensions do not get index linked increases. Whether this rule may be applied is unknown.

43 minutes ago, Keefy said:

OK, I'm late with everything. Life's been extremely difficult. Was hospitalised 4 times last year, and now am officially registered as 70% "behindert".

I've applied online to register in Berlin, but am now too late to apply for citzenship whilst retaining British citizenship as well in the event of "No-Deal".

Basic question is this... IF  I apply for German citizenship and then have to give up UK citizenship, will I the lose my UK State Pension and a small private ("final salary") pension I'm receiving?

This is all I have in the way of income.

Thanks in advance.

How long have you worked in the UK? If you have worked over 10 years in the UK your state pension stays in the UK. I would not expect you to lose it but am not sure what happens with a a no deal. You might not get the rise every year etc. Bramble might know more.

I hope you are ok.

Thanks RM.

My understanding is that if the UK leaves with a deal, indexing will continue. In the case of No-Deal, it won't, unless the amendment to "ring fence" citizens' rights is agreed by the EU.

If the UK leaves with a deal, I'll also have the "transition period" to apply for dual nationality.

It's all a pain in the butt right now.

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

How long have you worked in the UK? If you have worked over 10 years in the UK your state pension stays in the UK. I would not expect you to lose it but am not sure what happens with a a no deal. You might not get the rise every year etc. Bramble might know more.

I hope you are ok.

Yes, I'm as well as can be expected thanks, although often pretty weak on my feet. Not dead yet, though, and haven't lost my appetite, at least (!) - off for a Nepalese Thali this evening. Yummmmmmmm...

I'm now 67 and receiving my pensions, both private and State (some 35 years contribution to the State scheme).

The main reason for my question about "No-Deal" and maybe then applying for German citizenship thus losing UK citizenship was really the question "Give up UK citizenship, lose UK pension(s) by dint of the fact that I'd no longer be British?

13 minutes ago, Keefy said:

Yes, I'm as well as can be expected thanks, although often pretty weak on my feet. Not dead yet, though, and haven't lost my appetite, at least (!) - off for a Nepalese Thali this evening. Yummmmmmmm...

I'm now 67 and receiving my pensions, both private and State (some 35 years contribution to the State scheme).

The main reason for my question about "No-Deal" and maybe then applying for German citizenship thus losing UK citizenship was really the question "Give up UK citizenship, lose UK pension(s) by dint of the fact that I'd no longer be British?

NO, I have close friends who worked in the  UK, but were EU and Non EU citizens, and they receive UK pensions. It is work based/NI Contributions that count.

You would just need to inform  them of any changes in your situation.

Relax, keep stress levels down and enjoy your  Thali .!

2 hours ago, Keefy said:

I do not believe that that happens.  There are Germans who receive a UK pension (I personally know one who will receive one as she was first married to a British Army officer & worked for the army as a translator).

On 2/18/2019, 10:35:01, Sir Percy B said:

That must of been a bundle of fun, the Beamter must of got really pissed off having to try and communicate using hand signals, when did you feel the response was cold when the Beamter pointed to the door?

You must learn German RF.

And you must learn English grammar.  Shocking!

24 minutes ago, McDee said:

Thanks for your input.

From where I come from you'd be strongly advised to go take lessons in sex and travel.

3 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Relax, keep stress levels down and enjoy your  Thali .!

I did, I did - scarf, chomp .... plus a couple of beers to wash it all down. And they had some pickled chillies and a kind of sambal in the condiments tray, both of which were really scharf and spiced up an otherwise non-scharf meal. Having said that, it was still well-prepared, plenty of tasty sauce and well above-average for Germany.

Cheers! (Buurrrp!)

8 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You might not get the rise every year etc. Bramble might know more.

I'm not in the same situation as Keefy. I haven't given up my British citizenship. I also don't know whether after a no deal Brexit I will still get the yearly rise. I don't think anyone knows. I certainly haven't been notified of any changes yet.

3 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

Thanks for your input.

From where I come from you'd be strongly advised to go take lessons in sex and travel.

That doesn't make any sense. Back of the class for you hehe. Maybe back home to brush up on your...  I give up. Ciao Bella.

Thanks for your input.

From where I come from you'd be strongly advised to go take lessons in sex

Thanks for your input.

On 2/18/2019, 10:35:01, Sir Percy B said:

That must of been a bundle of fun, the Beamter must of got really pissed off having to try and communicate using hand signals, when did you feel the response was cold when the Beamter pointed to the door?

You must learn German RF.

I do not see why its an all-Laender or German only situation.

Why is this not  an EU situation ?

Surly within the EU, everybody from outside the EU should be treaded the same across the whole of the EU. Not just an all-Laender situation.

9 hours ago, bramble said:

I'm not in the same situation as Keefy. I haven't given up my British citizenship.

I believe citizenship is not relevant.

I also don't know whether after a no deal Brexit I will still get the yearly rise. I don't think anyone knows. I certainly haven't been notified of any changes yet.

I would reasonably assume that you / we are only informed if & when there is an increase & in the case of no increase in any one year there is just silence.

9 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I do not see why its an all-Laender or German only situation.

Why is this not  an EU situation ?

Surly within the EU, everybody from outside the EU should be treaded the same across the whole of the EU. Not just an all-Laender situation.

Because the situation in each country is different.

There are > 300,000 in Spain, mostly retired compared to a few hundred in countries like Slovenia, Croatia and the Baltic countries.  

So what works for one country does not work for another.  

Plus, even with the Schengen agreement individual countries still decide their own visa policies for non EU citizens coming to live and/or work in their country.

Getting 27 countries to agree upon the fine points of every detail would probably anyway end up with 27 different variations on most of them.  You would effectively just add an extra layer of bureaucracy on top of what anyway needs to be done.

^ The EU have agreed almost PAN-EUROPEAN issuing and acceptance of a blue card. Therefore, collectively, like trade agreements or anything else, the EU most certainly CAN agree on the fine points of immigration status.

If it wants to...

11 hours ago, McDee said:

Corrected, happy now?

That must have been a bundle of fun, the Beamter must have got really pissed off having to try to communicate using hand signals, when did you feel the response was cold when the Beamter pointed to the door?

15 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

11 hours ago, McDee said:

That doesn't make any sense. Back of the class for you hehe. Maybe back home to brush up on your...  I give up. Ciao Bella.

You might be a grammar queen but you don't know much about the English language. Shocking!

Sex and travel

54 minutes ago, paulwork said:

^ The EU have agreed almost PAN-EUROPEAN issuing and acceptance of a blue card. Therefore, collectively, like trade agreements or anything else, the EU most certainly CAN agree on the fine points of immigration status.

If it wants to...

Not all EU countries are part of the blue card scheme.

And the cards are still issued on a per country basis, with the countries defining their own detained criteria as to how exactly it works.

It took ~4 years from proposal until it came into effect.

And there were problems as not all countries fully respected all the rights which they should in regards to it (I'm not sure if this is still the case or not).

I do agree that an EU wide solution is easier from the British perspective.  But I don't think it is practical given the lack of time.

55 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I do agree that an EU wide solution is easier from the British perspective. But I don't think it is practical given the lack of time.

I'd also agree but brings into question exactly what has the EU (Juncker, Barnier, Tusk etc) been doing for the past 2 years, surely they should of planned for all scenarios.

For me this defies what a Union really is, if each individual state has to decide on their own the fate of its UK residents then it's not a Union, as I said in another post, the UK is leaving the EU not Germany, Spain or France.

3 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

For me this defies what a Union really is, if each individual state has to decide on their own the fate of its UK residents then it's not a Union, as I said in another post, the UK is leaving the EU not Germany, Spain or France.

The concept of subsidiarity is one of the main tenets of the EU. 

Just an update to the topic for people in Cologne. From the link that Paulwork mentioned there is another part of the Stadt Köln site that mentions they will be writing to Brits during March regarding Brexit and people can then make an appointment at the Ausländeramt or, if people don't want to wait for the letter then they can go to the Ausländeramt before receiving the letter - https://www.stadt-koeln.de/artikel/68000/index.html

I hadn't received anything so went down this morning and was told that until Brexit actually happens Brits don't need to register for an Aufenthaltserlaubnis or worry about it. As I was in the office they said I could write a note on a blank bit of paper saying who I was and that due to Brexit I would need an Aufenthaltserlaubnis, which I did and they also took a copy of my passport so that when (if?) Brexit ever happens it would show that I had already started the application process.

So if you are in Cologne it's not worth bothering doing anything until Brexit actually happens and then depending on whether there is a soft or hard Brexit, people will have a certain amount of time to apply for the residency permit.