Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How can I tell if a document is in PDF form

8 posts in this topic

I Need to Show proof of address. One way is to send them bank Statements. But they say These must be in PDF form.

So how do I know if my Statements are in PDF from. If not. then how do I convert them?

Thanks

Colin

If they are paper then scan them. Scanners usually save as pdf.

My bank lets me download statements to pdf form.

Do you have online access to your bank account?

Maybe if you login and go tot he statement section you have the option of pdf download.

pdf files have extension .pdf and are openable in adobe pdf reader.

Many printers also have the option to "save as PDF" in their Select Printer option.  Then it just goes to normal file manager save, not print. (Sounds weird until recalling that is how unauthorised add-ons to avoid paying for Adobe licences worked in about 2009).

14 hours ago, colincostello said:

So how do I know if my Statements are in PDF from. If not. then how do I convert them?

The file name will end with "pdf".  i.e. MyBankStatement.pdf

Additionally, in File Explorer you can right click on the file and click on "Properties" and you will see the file type being PDF.

12 hours ago, sonazeit said:

If they are paper then scan them. Scanners usually save as pdf.

More correct to say: many scanner software have the ability to save as PDF (in addition to JPEG & so-on).

Thus you need to select the appropriate option - assuming its available.

13 minutes ago, Krieg said:

The file name will end with "pdf".  i.e. MyBankStatement.pdf

Beware of filenames that look like: MyBankStatement.pdf.exe

These are often executables with intent to install a virus - the hope is that people will see "pdf" & thus click on them.

Additionally, in File Explorer you can right click on the file and click on "Properties" and you will see the file type being PDF.

That is probably a safer bet as it does not rely on the filename itself (which can be anything).

If you are using a Windows 10 computer you have a "printer" named "Microsoft Print to PDF".  It does just what it says on the tin:  Use it as the printer for any document you need in pdf form.  I can't recall when "Microsoft Print to PDF" was introduced but if you using a version of Windows without it you can use CutePDF Writer (available for free here http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp).  I am sure other members can provide similar solutions for non Windows computers.o

www.foxit-reader.com

Does everything Adobe Reader should do, for free, without the constant security leaks and infernal massive auto updates.

2B