car exhaust swap

22 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, xcxvt said:

I'm contemplating with retrofitting the AMG exhaust system that comes as optional. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that with the new sound regulation


If you want us to help you without your having to go to the trouble of trying to communicate in technical and legal German then you'll need to provide us with some more specific info.


You should post a link to the AMG exhaust system you're talking about. The suppliers website should provide details wrt exactly which MB E400 models this exhaust system has an ABE* for. They may even have a PDF of said ABE which will include the technical data of the exact combinations of motor and emissions controls the approval covers.


*Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis


You should also post the HSN and TSN of your MB E400. You'll find them in box 21 and 22 of your Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil 1 as shown in the lower pictured example here.




When ordering any automotive part in Germany you will find it is, from the suppliers POV, essential to provide the VIN and the HSN and TSN of the vehicle concerned. This is because, during any given production model year, there may be supply chain interruptions resulting in switching between several OEM suppliers which can result in several similar parts being listed for the same model/engine/year combination.


Certain VIN parameters combined with the HSN (Hersteller Schlusselnummer = manufacturer key number) and TSN (Typ Schlusselnummer = type key number) enable parts suppliers to identify such specific series changes.


If the part(s) have an ABE which specifically includes your specific vehicle model type then, provided you carry a copy of that ABE together with your KFZ-Zullasungsbescheinigung Teil 1 in your vehicle whist it is in use on the public thoroughfare then, for a short time, you may be able to talk your way out of any difficulty with traffic police controls.


ASAP after fitting such parts you should visit the KFZ-Zullassungsamt and have the exception referencing the ABE number entered into your KFZ-Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil II and a replacement of Teil 1 issued. Albeit you still must carry the ABE in the car, having it entered on Teil 1 will make life much easier for you if you should be subjected to a traffic police control in future.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now