Registration & healthcare HELP!

96 posts in this topic

Daisick- have you read the UK gov. Website- moving to Germany? Still valid- up toBrexit!

Clearly states your obligatione on moving to another EU country- look at Moving to Germany.

15 minutes ago, john g. said:

By the by, just wondering if you are an unwell Welshman?? ( your moniker!)...

Yes John from Wales, but never ill, just a bit sick,lol.

16 minutes ago, john g. said:

By the by, just wondering if you are an unwell Welshman?? ( your moniker!)...

Yes John from Wales, but never ill, just a bit sick,lol.

My marriages didn´t go down too well , either!!:lol::lol:

There is NO free insurance! There is public insurance as an employee and the cost is about 16 per cent of your gross income (but divided up 50/50 with your employer ). Your girfriend was an employee was probably earning around 2,000-2,500 euros a month then. Seems standard and it´s not because she´s a German citizen but because was an employee in Germany - whatever her nationality would have been.

It is not illegal to employ a partner! It happens a lot for the same reason as it would help you - getting health insurance and a public pension (later).

You wouldn´t get private insurance ...for that option, you would need an income over 60,750 euros a year,

Hi Swimmer.

Ok I get a really, really small amount of interest. I basically live off my girlfriend as my time is invested in the house.

So when I register here as wanting to reside permanently in Germany and explain that I live in a paid for house owned by myself and that my German girlfriend pays all expenses but that I wish to pay into the basic German health care system that if I can't prove I have been living in Britain and am not registered with the NHS that they will refuse me to pay and join the German system and therefore refuse me permission to live in Germany?

If so it would be pointless me even registering here. ? ?

22 minutes ago, Daisick said:

Ok I get a really, really small amount of interest. I basically live off my girlfriend as my time is invested in the house

I knew it :wub:  Not least as I got a whole 10 Euro from my five figure German bank balance last year and rates are even lower here than the UK  :lol:.     (I am also both "self-funding" myself and in audit, so I know how it goes and what we may get asked).

I think  it is possible to just self-certify here that you have such a tiny income that you do not have to do the full declaration, but our obligation to report is still there.  

As I said at the start, I think your priority needs to be to take some time to thoroughly investigate these registration processes.   I do know Britons who tell me they just got in healthcare, no questions, albeit on employment.   (I don`t entirely swallow that, either, but that is what they tell me).

Thanks again John.

So if I tell them I only want to reside here in Germany and don't want to claim any money from the German system but would like to pay in and be covered with the German public health insurance I would be refused because I need to be employed?

Therefore to get around that by being 'employed' by my girlfriend I would then be allowed to join the system? As long as I don't have to do anything too 'sick' for her and get paid leave I guess it would be ok. ?

Daisick- will you be eligible for a UK pension?

Realise that your healthy body may soon start showing signs of wear and tear, or an accident while  working on your  house may require medical assistance.

You really need to look at legalising your status here. 

John g's suggestions are really excellent.

2 minutes ago, swimmer said:

I knew it :wub:  Not least as I got a whole 10 Euro from my German bank last year and rates are even lower  here than the UK  :lol:.     

I think  it is possible to just self-certify here that you have such a tiny income that you do not have to do the full declaration, but our obligation to report is still there.  

? I also have a German bank account but they take 3 or 5 euros off me per month just for the pleasure, and I only ever put in money never take any out!!

I do love Germany and want to stay here even though the Germans are really NOT efficient at much they are a friendly lot in general.

7 minutes ago, Daisick said:

Thanks again John.

So if I tell them I only want to reside here in Germany and don't want to claim any money from the German system but would like to pay in and be covered with the German public health insurance I would be refused because I need to be employed?

Therefore to get around that by being 'employed' by my girlfriend I would then be allowed to join the system? As long as I don't have to do anything too 'sick' for her and get paid leave I guess it would be ok. ?

Correct re your first point!  Second point: you are waking up! Yes! ( I love the paid leave bit..yep, statutory requirement! The system is NOT all that bad!! ):lol:

IF your girlfriend and you really want to be attached together for many more moons, something has to give but neither of you loves paperwork!!!

7 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Daisick- will you be eligible for a UK pension?

Realise that your healthy body may soon start showing signs of wear and tear, or an accident while  working on your  house may require medical assistance.

You really need to look at legalising your status here. 

John g's suggestions are really excellent.

Thanks, yes I know I should do things the 'legal' way. I've been lucky with my health but know it won't last forever ?. 

No idea with a pension, I would have a small army pension and up until 2006 always paid a private pension through a government job. I've always worked without claiming ANY benefits from Britain but by the British retirement age that keeps going up don't expect much at all. ?

Not related to health insurance, Daisick...but do yourself a favour and ask your German girlfriend if she has private Haftpflichtversicherung (as a German, she will know it and even a hater of paperwork probably has that as a German). If she has it, ask her for some mini paperwork and ADD you to it.

Your situation is precarious enough - don´t risk possible bankruptcy in life for not having that in Germany.

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

Not related to health insurance, Daisick...but do yourself a favour and ask your German girlfriend if she has private Haftpflichtversicherung (as a German, she will know it and even a hater of paperwork probably has that as a German). If she has it, ask her for some mini paperwork and ADD you to it.

Your situation is precarious enough - don´t risk possible bankruptcy in life for not having that in Germany.

Hi John yes the house is in both our names and bills for the house including the house insurance is in both our names if that's what you mean?

How would I be risking possible bankruptcy, you mean if I caused an accident here? 

28 minutes ago, Daisick said:

Therefore to get around that by being 'employed' by my girlfriend I would then be allowed to join the system? 

Maybe I missed it, but is your girlfriend self-employed? 

2 minutes ago, Daisick said:

Hi John yes the house is in both our names and bills for the house including the house insurance is in both our names if that's what you mean?

No, John means personal liability insurance, not house insurance.

How would I be risking possible bankruptcy, you mean if I caused an accident here? 

It's about covering damage you could do to others. 

Not house insurance or building insurance, Daisick. Personal liability insurance. Yep, for example, you accidentally knock some one over in the street whilst walking and they fall over and break their neck. Health insurance pays their bills and then send YOU their bill for the money back. If that person is then handicapped for ever and constant pain and loss of income etc..who pays? YOU.

Just ask your girlfriend. Serious tip. I had never heard of it either till I  moved to Germany nearly 30 years ago.

Just now, someonesdaughter said:

Maybe I missed it, but is your girlfriend self-employed? 

She has a 25 hour a week job and is NOT self employed.

I think I get what John means with my girlfriend employing me. Technically by working in our house renovating everything and I mean everything and she paying for everything I am already employed by her. Even though the time off and side benefits are poor ?

3 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

No, John means personal liability insurance, not house insurance.

It's about covering damage you could do to others. 

That's all in with the house insurance, if you mean if someone is injured on our property. Personal liability insurance outside the property I haven't heard of. 

33 minutes ago, Daisick said:

Thanks, yes I know I should do things the 'legal' way. I've been lucky with my health but know it won't last forever ?. 

No idea with a pension, I would have a small army pension and up until 2006 always paid a private pension through a government job. I've always worked without claiming ANY benefits from Britain but by the British retirement age that keeps going up don't expect much at all. ?

We all have our different views but I have always been fairly autonomous and freewheeling here, even with a local partner.  I am the same age.  Gen X is the individualist one, a lot of us are similar.  That mate I mentioned who just got  the healthcare too.      However, I personally see that autonomy as meaning it is really helpful to me to be properly supported by the local state and authority.   That is actually a key foundation for me, along with my property.  Without it, I am somewhat vulnerable. With it, not so much.   

Brexit is going to have Germany looking more closely at the affairs of UK nationals as they are moved to third party national status.     You will be required to transition to third party national by re-regisitering and attending a mandatory meeting and so on (by as early as end June if "no deal").     That much Germany has said, in its draft laws for Brexit.   Affairs will need to reasonably in order and stories fairly straight etc.

Similarly, it might be worth,  when you have a moment, chasing up those pensions to get an update on the current values.     We also have more options with some pensions to take lump sums etc or start earlier.   A lot of us are seriously considering this, or even doing it.      The  point about the interest is indicative of we "self-financers" needing to control our finances quite tightly.   And - absolutely - haptpflichtversicherung is a must :D.   

Get ye to a professional consultant eg tax consultant -- to arrange some kind of an employee contract! Get into the system, mate, before..well, before dunno what..Brexit, for example? Or you get ill or whatever.

:rolleyes:

I like your humour, by the way!!