Registration & healthcare HELP!

96 posts in this topic

I would say it evens out at least.   Four years of residency is practically at permanent residency (five), which would be more valuable to many than having to start now.     Hindsight is 20-20 but that might appear current more valuable than a few years of healthcare payments (and established membership of the German healthcare system) to many in the current setting.    

When UK nationals are transitioned to third party nationals,  personal circumstances and means of support and all of that usual stuff will obviously be input into the decision on what permission to stay here.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

yeah but you'll also have to provide evidence that you were insured somewhere in the EU *til now*

eta:  not to register, but to get health cover here.  and you NEED that to stay here legally

Not sure what you mean. I would be telling them I have only now decided to live full time in Germany so will need to get German health insurance but up until that point my place of official residency was Britain and therefore covered by normal British health care. Why would I have to prove that?

52 minutes ago, Daisick said:

Not sure what you mean. I would be telling them I have only now decided to live full time in Germany so will need to get German health insurance but up until that point my place of official residency was Britain and therefore covered by normal British health care. Why would I have to prove that?

Daisick-ARE you still in the NHS system? Yes or no? Key question??

IF you are AND can prove you are still a UK resident) ...eg utility bill, still registered with a GP there etc etc ), it could work with you registering NOW and saying you have been visiting your girlfriend to help her very often AND you COULD then apply for so-called voluntary membership of German public health insurance as someone LIVING OFF SAVINGS.

ie NOT self-employed. If you don’t have any worldwide income from eg renting out a couple of penthouse suites?, you MIGHT get away with paying the minimum monthly contribution of around 190 euros a month.

Disclaimer: I am a one-eyed independent insurance broker and authorised as an advertiser on Toytown??

If you have not lived in the  UK for 12 years, and stayed off the radar of health issues, taxes, utility bills etc, then you may not be considered a UK resident, and  questions raised as to your status within the NHS.

The German Krankenkasse may request proof of your NHS coverage, and that requires documentation from the UK. You may be an honest guy, but paperwork, proof is needed these days.

Ownership of a house here indicates centre of life.

Where do you pay taxes?

John g is an expert in matters of insurances , so listen to him!

5 hours ago, Daisick said:

To be honest I've been away from the UK for 12 years, half year living in Portugal

I guess you were also not officially registered in Portugal?  

Alternatives for Daisick:

private German insurance? If you have stacks of money in a bank account, you might be able to get into a German private insurance as a so/called Privatier ( ie living off savings/investments ) but you would be looking at real money at age 52...you would also need a copy of your Anmeldung ( but no hassle with proving current NHS membership or not ) and be able to pass a medical check up at a doc in Germany! AND you would need a German tax ID number!

Second alternative: private international insurance- maybe affordable now but prices are guaranteed to go up every year.

The “ best “ option, IMHO, is German public insurance - if you can get into it.

Otherwise: as has been suggested on here- a quick shotgun wedding before Brexit!?

56 minutes ago, Daisick said:

Your last sentence: guilty till proven innocent?

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

yeah but you'll also have to provide evidence that you were insured somewhere in the EU *til now*

eta:  not to register, but to get health cover here.  and you NEED that to stay here legally

24 minutes ago, john g. said:

Daisick-ARE you still in the NHS system? Yes or no? Key question??

IF you are AND can prove you are still a UK resident(eg utility bill, still registered with a GP there etc etc ), it could work with you registering NOW and saying you have been visiting your girlfriend to help her very often AND you COULD then apply for so-called voluntary membership of German public health insurance as someone LIVING OFF SAVINGS.

ie NOT self-employed. If you don’t have any worldwide income from eg renting out a couple of penthouse suites?, you MIGHT get away with paying the minimum monthly contribution of around 190 euros a month.

Disclaimer: I am a one-eyed independent insurance broker and authorised as an advertiser on Toytown??

Hi John thanks for the reply. I can't prove I am a uk resident as the address I use is a friends so have no bills etc in my name. I have no income from anywhere and as we don't have to pay rent or a mortgage here in Germany can afford to live from my girlfriends wages and slowly renovate the house. I guess I am no longer registered with a GP as I do not own a property in Britain. I do have the standard British health insurance card but have never used it. When we lived in Portugal it was in a motorhome and when I go back to Britain I also live in the van. I guess it's an unusual situation and before Brexit was hoping to use the E11 health card if ever I needed to. I know legally I should have registered but didn't want the hassle. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

21 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

I guess you were also not officially registered in Portugal?  

No not registered there as such but did have a tax number and bank account.

1 minute ago, Daisick said:

No not registered there as such but did have a tax number and bank account.

OK.  Only asking as I think they have health insurance linked to residency.  Which might have knocked some years off.

31 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

If you have not lived in the  UK for 12 years, and stayed off the radar of health issues, taxes, utility bills etc, then you may not be considered a UK resident, and  questions raised as to your status within the NHS.

The German Krankenkasse may request proof of your NHS coverage, and that requires documentation from the UK. You may be an honest guy, but paperwork, proof is needed these days.

Ownership of a house here indicates centre of life.

Where do you pay taxes?

John g is an expert in matters of insurances , so listen to him!

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I have stayed completely off radar. In the 12 years away from Britain I did own a house there up until 6 years ago so was registered with council and bills etc. I don't pay taxes as I don't have an income. But guess I am registered for taxes in Britain as I have my main bank there.

1 hour ago, Daisick said:

Whoops, quoting wrong bit here! ?

But anyway:

my latest summary: either get a part time job ( even if only for three months ) but NOT a 450 euro MiniJob and get into the public sytem as an employee.

Could your girlfriend employ you officially for, say , 50O euros a month?

I have just gone through this with an unmarried couple , who have done exactly that to get the partner publicly insured.

If you did this and used a brand new Anmeldung- no backpayments.

Residency - where we spend our time - normally decides where our tax reporting is.   Our choice of bank or similar does not determine that.   Germany requires residents to report their affairs for taxation.     How much tax we might have to pay (or not) does not matter.   Even people making losses - on business etc - have to report. 

No income?   Those savings you live off not earned one cent of bank interest or dividend (even if rolled up into accumulated funds) or other gain in four years :blink:?    You need a new investment advisor possibly :ph34r:.   I would also say that, when it comes to considering your permit after Brexit, the authorities may likely scrutinise "living off savings" proposals for residency to ensure they generate the necessary income.    If you mean it is literally cash under the bed, that is going to have to move to being documented.

54 minutes ago, john g. said:

23 minutes ago, john g. said:

23 minutes ago, john g. said:

4 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Residency - where we spend our time - normally decides where our tax reporting is.   Our choice of bank or similar does not determine that.  

Germany requires residents to report their affairs for taxation.     How much tax we might have to pay (or not) does not matter.   Even people making losses - on business etc - have to report. 

No income?   Those savings you live off really not earned one cent of interest or dividend or other gain in four years :blink:?  You might need a new investment advisor :o.  

Thanks for the reply. I'd love to know how I could get interest from my savings in a British bank. ?

1 hour ago, Daisick said:

Because every one does. I'm reading a board for Germans returning from the UK to Germany ahead of Brexit and it's full of stories how the German public health insurers require proof of previous EU insurance, but don't actually have a standard procedure in place on how to deal with it, so all kinds of hilarity ensue.

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

By the by, just wondering if you are an unwell Welshman?? ( your moniker!)...

You're thinking of RhysThrowup. 

17 minutes ago, Daisick said:

Thanks for the reply. I'd love to know how I could get interest from my savings in a British bank. ?

UK banks pay interest.   My UK family mainly uses Santander - it pays interest, for sure.   Higher than here, because base rates are higher.     I think it is really the "I live off my savings" and "I earn exactly zero from my investments" that would be unusual or surprising,  such as when making a case for a permit.   Also bear in mind that third party nationals cannot usually just walk down the road and find any old job when the money runs out like we EU nationals can - not how it works for them.

As to the point on healthcare, the ability to enter the German Krankenkasse system on the basis of previously being a UK resident requires proof of participation in the NHS.     This is a concession from being in the EU and note it is  specifically UK resident, not citizen.    Third party nationals enter via specific routes (usually a job or a spouse).    We have to be eligible to enter it.   Everyone does, in their own way, as the last reply says.

13 minutes ago, john g. said:

Whoops, quoting wrong bit here! ?

But anyway:

my latest summary: either get a part time job ( even if only for three months ) but NOT a 450 euro MiniJob and get into the public sytem as an employee.

Could your girlfriend employ you officially for, say , 50O euros a month?

I have just gone through this with an unmarried couple , who have done exactly that to get the partner publicly insured.

If you did this and used a brand new Anmeldung- no backpayments.

Cheers John. The marriage idea went down like a ton of bricks ?. She doesn't want the 'hassle' of paperwork etc that goes along with it! If I get a part time job do the government then give me free health insurance or does it have to be the job that pays the health insurance? Getting my girlfriend to employ me sounds even more illegal than me not bothering to register here and I think my girlfriend wouldn't want anything to do with that either ?. To be honest I've no idea what the monthly health care insurance whether private or basic government is in euros. My girlfriends said when she was paying before she had a full time job was only about 150€, is that wrong or because she is resident and holds a German passport?