I am on a limited 1 year contract but due to have a baby and go on parental leave. Will I still have the job after leave

3 posts in this topic

Hi so I could not find an exact answer related to my case. I have a 1 year fixed term contract at work which ends in November 2019. I am pregnant and going on maternity leave end of March then parental leave for 1 year after the birth of my child. I just wanted to know what happens to my contract during this time? Will the job be kept for me? As I have heard conflicting information, that there is a job protection during the time you take parental leave and that the contract just turns to a sleeping contract?

I would think it ends in November 2019 as scheduled.  Why would it not?  Yes an unbefristet job would be protected but your current job has an explicit time limit.  If the details of the contract specified that it runs for 12 WORKING months you might have an argument.  But if it simply states it runs til x date, my guess is you are out of luck.

1 hour ago, Lisasmith said:

I just wanted to know what happens to my contract during this time? Will the job be kept for me? 

No, your employment contract ends at the contractually agreed time.

"Arbeitnehmer, die in einem befristeten Arbeitsverhältnis stehen, haben wie alle anderen Anspruch auf Elternzeit. Allerdings hat die Elternzeit keine Auswirkung auf den Vertrag. Der Arbeitsvertrag wird nicht aufgrund der Elternzeit verlängert. Das bedeutet, dass Eltern, deren Vertrag während der Elternzeit ausläuft, sich entweder rechtzeitig um einen neuen Arbeitsplatz bemühen müssen, der an die Elternzeit anschließt. Oder sie sollten sich früh genug bei der Arbeitsagentur als arbeitssuchend melden, damit im Anschluss an die Elternzeit Anspruch auf Arbeitslosengeld besteht."

https://www.elternzeit.de/befristeter-arbeitsvertrag-elternzeit/

The last sentence is important – f you don't find a new job, you have to register as unemployed in time to get unemployment benefit (provided you have a claim on it and have paid long enough into unemployment insurance).