Interpreter / English speaking Rechtsanwalt

7 posts in this topic

So... hoping to sign for my apartment either this week.  

I have got German to A2 / B1 level but would ideally like an English speaking Rechtsanwalt to review the draft contract from the Notar and ideally attend or dial in to the certification process - particularly as I understand from the Makler that the previous owner is not actually registered in the apartment owners in the building routinely refuses to give his approval for sales.  

Failing this, a good translator / interpreter would help!  

The certification process with the Notar is going to be in Sundern; can anyone give a recommendation for a Rechtsanwalt or translator?

29 minutes ago, altbobbins said:

The certification process with the Notar is going to be in Sundern; can anyone give a recommendation for a Rechtsanwalt or translator?

Before talking to a Rechtsanwalt or an interpreter (which is what you will need, unless you actually do want some written translation done) it might be a good idea to establish which Sundern the appointment is scheduled to be at.

in Nordrhein-Westfalen:

To find a Dolmetscher (interpreter) or Übersetzer (translator) you can use either of these search tools.

Bundesverband der Dolmetscher und Übersetzer e.V.

Federal Justice Ministry - (publically sworn-in) Translators & Interpreters- Search & Help pages in 5 languages

To find an English speaking Rechtsanwalt you can use the Extended Search (for Lawyers in Germany) : DAV - German Lawyers Society

5c4b9dbd0ff3a_ExtendedSuche-DeutscheAnwa

Click on the pic if you need to enlarge it.

In Box 1 you might try typing Grundrecht, Immobilienrecht or Vertragsrecht. After you start typing a dropdown menu will autosuggest completed words which you need to choose and click to enter them. You can add a second option albeit doing so, if you choose conflicting specialities in boxes 1 or 4, may cause no results to be returned. If that happens use your browser or keyboard to go back and click box 9 to reset your parameters. Don't forget to choose Englisch from the box 5 dropdown menu.

When contacting them bear in mind that even if a Rechtsanwalt does claim to speak English their telephonist or secretarial staff may not.

HTH

2B

If the choice of the Notar is not yet set in stone, you are still in time to find one that speaks English and he might be able to provide a translated version of the contract beforehand and read both the German and the English versions on the day of the deed.

Some Notare, even if they speak English, will not read the contract in English on the day of the deed because they do not want to have the responsibility of verifying that the translation is correct.  So in that case, another option is to have a lawyer who speaks English, who will translate the purchase contract and interpret on the day of the deed. So basically he/she would be translating as the Notar reads along in German.

Regarding certification of the translation, this is not necessary and it is a rather costly extra that you can avoid. Your notary can confirm this.

17 hours ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

Before talking to a Rechtsanwalt or an interpreter (which is what you will need, unless you actually do want some written translation done)

Actually having the translation done beforehand might not be sufficient if the Notar will read only in German on the day of the deed, because it is in his interest that you understand everything he reads. So in that case, the presence of an interpreter or of a Rechtanwalt who speaks English is still required, regardless of an existing translation of the contract. Your Notar will be able to advise.

20 minutes ago, cfq said:

If the choice of the Notar is not yet set in stone, you are still in time to find one that speaks English and he might be able to provide a translated version of the contract beforehand and read both the German and the English versions on the day of the deed.

Notar suche ( Notar search for Germany)

Notarkosten | Bundesnotarkammer

GNotKG - Index - Gesetz über Kosten der freiwilligen Gerichtsbarkeit für Gerichte und Notare

BNotO - Index - Bundesnotarordnung

2B

As a first step, get the notar contract in word document and then you can translate with deepl translator.This will give you essentially all the details. If you are satisfied with the contract then may be better to check with a specialized lawyer who may also help you for the notar termin. When we looked for a official translator for our notar termin 2~4 hrs, we could find some one for around 350 euros. But finally our notar said it is fine to bring a German friend along with us.So we didn't use the service of the translator. I prepared the translation with deepL and printed one page English and one page german which was quite helpful to follow the notar reading.

Thanks everyone, especially 2B. 

My preference would be to find a Rechtsanwalt(in) who can support with explaining the thorny topics in English - owing to the Grundbuch / non-consent issues.  What I absolutely need to avoid is being left to sort out a legal mess which I was promised by the Makler would be dealt with at the vendor’s cost!

Thanks to the link provided I have been able to contact a number of different Rechtsanwalt(in)s within 50km of Sundern (the right one!) who have expertise in property sale law and can speak English.  

All being well, come Friday I will be a property owner in Germany!  Well, not an owner for a few months, but a Besitzer at least!!