Getting an EU recognised license for Tourist guide

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I will try to explain my question. I come from Greece and am doing my Master's in History in Berlin. In Greece now it's very difficult to get the tourist guide license, so I thought maybe I can get it here while I am doing my Master's. As far as I checked in the Greek ministry, you can work with foreign license if it's recognised by EU. What is the process in Germany? Where shall I adress? And will German be necessary (mine is not so high, at least for now). Any help/suggestion is welcome !

If you lived in Munich I could answer your question as I looked into this a couple of years ago.

There was only one official course per year, run by the authorities in the Rathaus and the course cost was just over €2000.

I have no idea if Berlin is similar, but maybe it's still easier back in Greece?

AFAIK it is still possible to become a Tour Guide in Berlin without needing to obtain a license, albeit you would need to obtain a Gewerbeschein (and register as a GbR [Gesellschaft der bürgerliche Recht] under your own name) so as to avoid difficulties with the Ordnungsamt, the Polizei or the Finanzamt.

To find out how you could get an EU recognised qualification you should talk to the IHK Berlin who will be able to advise you of courses offered by institutes authorized to instruct and examine candidates for any officially recognised qualification.

IHK-Finder — Deutscher Industrie- und Handelskammertag

HTH

2B

3 hours ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

AFAIK it is still possible to become a Tour Guide in Berlin without needing to obtain a license, albeit you would need to obtain a Gewerbeschein (and register as a GbR [Gesellschaft der bürgerliche Recht] under your own name) so as to avoid difficulties with the Ordnungsamt, the Polizei or the Finanzamt.

Small correction: A GbR is a "partnership under civil law" and consists of at least two persons. A single person (tradesman/Gewerbetreibender or freelancer/Freiberufler) cannot found a GbR. The legal form of the single person is sole trader/Einzelunternehmer.