Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving from Germany (Frankfurt) to Switzerland (Zurich)

17 posts in this topic

I've got the opportunity to relocate from Frankfurt to Zurich, and was wondering if anyone has had experience of working in Zurich so can compare lifestyles and quality of life.

From what I can gather from https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Germany&city1=Frankfurt&country2=Switzerland&city2=Zurich the net wage would need to be around 76% more to offset the high cost of living in Zurich , but I don't know how accurate this is having never lived there. 

I know that Switzerland is often held up as having one of the highest standards of living in the world, but would it really be a significant step up in quality of life from living in Germany? 

The other question is when looking on immoscout, most of the available housing in and around Zurich seemed to resemble lego, and one of the things that my girlfriend loves about Germany are the variety of older, characterful period homes. For example, the street we live in now in Frankfurt has a mix of what in the UK would be probably be called Victorian and Edwardian homes on one side of the road, and chalet-style houses on the other, whereas the available stock in Zurich seemed to be along the theme of similar looking white boxes - stereotypical I know, but we were both kind of expecting more chalet style homes in assorted colours?

If you want to exponentially increase your chances of getting current feedback from English speaking folks who have actually done the move to the canton Zurich in CH then you should register with, and post your questions on, TT's Swiss sister community forum.

English Forum Switzerland

They're nothing like as impatient with newbies or as unhelpful as we TTers are reputed to be, but you might still want to be careful how you approach them. They don't bite (hard) but they do insist on very strict observance of ze Haus roolz! So read 'em before posting!

Wee swearies or lack of proper table manners are discouraged immediately by acclamation!!

They seem to like to give cuddles and award teddy bears, love avatar gifs :angry: and multicolour fonts and oversized signatures. Reading some of their threads always felt to me a bit like being stuck in an amusement arcade...  if it wasn't for the mumsnet attitude (of the blokes!).

Still, I'm sure they'll be happy to fall over themselves to either encourage you with tales of their champagne high-life style or to warn you with horror tales of the impossible localized CH roolz of hoop jumping für Ausländer.

Good luck ...with learning the Toblerucolas'sprächen! :lol:

2B

Commenting generally, I think net incomes are a lot higher in Switzerland.  That would be what someone moving there really had to nail, in my view.   

I lived there for a while many many years ago now, on the corporate buck.  Yes there are more options, or where then, right out to the lake.    These days I do have favourite spots about 10 mins from the centre of Basel which have some glorious housing but villa not chalet.  I would move there in a heartbeat if I needed somewhere else.  So it may be a matter of locating them.  (And then asking the price :ph34r:).  I find consumables to be generally noticably better quality, just stuff you buy in supermarkets etc.

I would say Sui is a typical step for corporate professionals in this area.  You might not leave FFM for many places but that would be one.  Quite a few people I came across over the years here have made their next step there - but for a price that was right to support them.

8 minutes ago, swimmer said:

I find consumables to be generally noticably better quality, just stuff you buy in supermarkets etc.

As in the more expensive stuff in the Swiss supermarkets is better rather than being the same but with just double the purchase cost at the till?

8 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Commenting generally, I think net incomes are a lot higher in Switzerland.  That would be what someone moving there really had to nail, in my view.

The Numbeo website seems to imply a 76% increase in net salary would be required because of the cost of living increase, but I don't understand if that would give me an almost like for like situation to the one I have in Frankfurt (in which case possibly not worth a move) or if the Swiss quality of life would be better.  

4 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Swiss beer is horrible, so it's basically a no-go area for me 👻.

There is such a thing?!?! :o:blink:

15 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Swiss beer is horrible, so it's basically a no-go area for me 👻.

Even compared to Dutch beer?

4 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Even compared to Dutch beer?

Haha, forget Heineken or Amstel, but Grolsch and Hertog Jan are good.

Cleanish.. safe-ish... but a stupidly expensive city to live in... 

Return Flights from Zurich to London at the weekends are on average 450€ as long as you book well in advance..

Ask the company to send you for a fortnight... you will want to come back rather sharp-ish, I would have thought...  

On 1/24/2019, 12:53:13, 2B_orNot2B said:

English Forum Switzerland

They're nothing like as impatient with newbies or as unhelpful as we TTers are reputed to be, but you might still want to be careful how you approach them. They don't bite (hard) but they do insist on very strict observance of ze Haus roolz! So read 'em before posting!

Far FAR more erudite than this forum, for certain.

23 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Cleanish.. safe-ish... but a stupidly expensive city to live in... 

Regarding living costs, if it wasn't for Brexit and uncertainty about residency permits if working cross-border, I would probably consider accepting a move to Zurich but stay living in Germany, especially since it wouldn't be a mandatory office attendance Mon-Fri role.

On 25/01/2019, 12:07:24, SpiderPig said:

Ask the company to send you for a fortnight... you will want to come back rather sharp-ish, I would have thought...  

London-based friends told me the same about Frankfurt back in 2017 and I'm still here :P

Looking in to this further I believe that I cannot get a "G permit" as I'm not in the border regions but instead in Frankfurt. The job would be starting in April, but I think the earliest that I can contractually move out of my current rental apartment is end of July. 

If I lived/worked in Zurich during the week, but returned to Frankfurt of a weekend, am I resident in Frankfurt or resident in Zurich as far as my tax is concerned? I understand that working in Switzerland, I'd have to pay Swiss tax, but am trying to work out if I would also have to pay tax in Germany on the difference between Swiss and German tax, if I was returning back to Germany whilst the apartment rental contract is still in effect.

May depend on contract, but normally residency mainly goes on where the time is spent. 

Where does Brexit fit in? Is this possible for Britons to just freely move to Swi. after Brexit?   I understand that a work permit linked to an employer would get you in, if needed but freedom of movement ends (and as it stands in 7 weeks' time) and so we get "locked" living in the EU state where we are, unless other EU EFTA citizenship.  I do not need to follow the cross-border working impact of Brexit but I understood generally this (which is what your recent post is) will not be so free either.

My understanding from "Britsh in Europe" @swimmer is that the withdrawal agreement has some specific things in place about cross-border work and allowing FOM between residence and country of work.

On 2/8/2019, 7:01:38, swimmer said:

May depend on contract, but normally residency mainly goes on where the time is spent. 

I can't think of a scenario where it would be otherwise. As far as I know, it's a legal term valid across Europe (at least).

Alexandra from  Cargolution