Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can Anyone Recommend A Good English Speaking Psychotherapist?

4 posts in this topic

Hi, looking for an english speaking therapist who takes DAK insurance. Man or woman, doesn't matter.  Doesn't have to be a native born english speaker, although, yeah, I'd pick that one first.  But German is also ok, I'm going to language school, so in time, I can switch to German with respect to my german therapist (When u tell them u haven't learned to speak it yet, it stops being a therapy seesion and goes to a borderline nationalist scolding about the language and respect and whatever.  If u haven't learned the language yet either, I'm sure u've ran into that, too... yeah, I'm sick of that), but to start with, I need english.  Lotta work to start on, I'd prefer to start using my mother tongue. Also, want to find a traditional, almost freuden psychotherapist, not a behavioral therapist or a more of a short term goal orientated therapy style. Think Tony Soprano's therapist with a goal on continual progress, not 3 visits to fix something and be declared cured. Doesn't have to be a psychiatrist, I alread have a good one for meds, strictly therapy.

I don't think I've ever typed out the word therapy or therapist more.  :)

Hey, thanks for taking the time reading and have a good 'un!!!

-Billy Bob

I can't help you with names, but...

Are you familiar with how the system works here? For one, you need to decide, perhaps with the help of your Psychiatrist what kind of therapy you need - if you're not wanting Behavioural therapy, the DAK will cover either analytical or in depth psychology.

There is no such thing as a traditional therapist per se- within the analytical setting, there are Freudians who are very old fashioned (think lying on a couch, free association etc) and there are Freudians who mix a bit more and aren't quite so rigid. Think carefully before you decide on one. Read up on what they entail if you haven't already done so.

You know you are entitled to probationary sessions, around 5 or 6 methinks if I remember rightly, plus, a new stipulation is that every Therapist who is accountable to a Health provider must be reachable by phone at least for 50 mins a week, so getting initial contact should be easier (NOT actually getting a place!).

There are quite horrendous waiting lists, ususally months rather than days or weeks - if you can prove that you have contacted a fuckton of people and are getting nowhere but are in dire need, talk to DAK about private finance that they will reimburse.

If you go for analytical, the maximum is 300 hours, if you are in depth psych, it's around 180 I think. Again, think carefully what this means to you and your life - therapy is a fucker and messes you up before you get better.

Incidentally,. a Psychiatrist is NOT a Therapist by definition. Look out for a "psychologischer Psychologist" to make sure they know what they are talking about.

Best of luck.

^^Excellent summary by @camlough!:)

Welcome to Toytown (TT), @BBBPhilly :)

Some of these links may be helpful either in navigating  successful search for a therapist or wrt understanding the choices and options outlined above which you should be considering before making any appointments at all.

Look out for US/UK flag or the word English as a button tucked away in a corner of German webpages. If there are none you can copy paste up to ~300 characters into deepL.com or, for a rougher but full-page result, copy paste the page URL into translate-google.com

Einführung in den Patientenbereich der Bundespsychotherapeutenkammer!

» Germany International Therapist Directory

therapie.de - Psychotherapie-Portal und Therapeutensuche

Arzt- und Psychotherapeutensuche der KVSH | Med Doctor & Psychotherapist search for Schleswig-Holstein 

Off topic, but still a matter of some import to many TTers:

TT is not an SMS chat forum so there is no limit on the number of characters typed.

(When u tell them u haven't learned to speak it yet, it stops being a therapy seesion and goes to a borderline nationalist scolding about the language and respect and whatever.  If u haven't learned the language yet either, I'm sure u've ran into that, too... yeah, I'm sick of that)

As many members of the TT community are users of English as a second language it is understandable that errors of usage and grammar or spelling regularly appear so some tolerance of that should be shown.

However, although many of us may do so in jest or on fun topic theads, it is considered by many to be good practise of those TTers who are native speakers of English, and are capable of avoiding it, not to encourage misuse of their own language by excessive use of SMS speak.

tl;dr

Not2L8 4U 2stopThat b4U get TTgrammaCopz H8in onU!!:P

2B

Hi Billy,

I went through the same search process last year and found this place to be helpful: http://www.kvhh.net/kvhh/arztsuche/index/p/274

There you can search based on language and the area you are living in.

I got 91 hits in my area, called 63 of them and got 1 that is happy to take a look at my case. There are about 10 that i spoke to that despite being listed as English speaking - refuse to do theraphy in English. 

My therapist fits exactly to your description in terms of theraphy style - if you have no luck with the KVHH list, i would be happy to share her details.

Good luck,

Lulu