Sailing in Berlin

8 posts in this topic

I checked the all previous posts and could not an up-to-date answer. 

I really want to join a sailing team in Berlin. I am a sailor who has experience, I was racing before I had sailboat etc and want to join a sailing club that I can participate in workload and rent sailboats and attend the local races with people and socialize etc.

Is there anything like this or similar?

A main yachting district is Grünau, the Olympic water venue (albeit not sailing) in the south east on the Dahme. Lots of watery action there, big boat scene, starts round Alt-Koepenick where it joins the Spree, often easy to feel the area is nothing but sports clubs :). Streets called Regattastr., Wassersportsallee etc further down towards the main arena.  It's glorious area - Watery, foresty, lots of space :lol:. Away from the big city scene, East European vibe, no way international. My estate agent is a huge fan and my British visitors all rave about it too. It is not totally "undiscovered" because a better-to-group always gravitate to such places, but it is relatively low key, and not busy.   Connectivity is mainly tram and a bit of bus but there's lots of parking space. 

Just to north / east is the also fantastic Müggelsee, a giant reservior thing.  The northern waterfront at Friedrichshagen feels more upscale, but again the district itself is not. 

I addition to what has already been said, there are a bunch of sailing clubs on the Stoßensee, both along Havelchaussee and on Pichelswerder. Lots of action on the Havel during the better season!

9 hours ago, ages said:

want to join a sailing club that I can participate in workload and rent sailboats and attend the local races with people and socialize etc.

In which Bezirk do you live? How well do you speak German?

If you don't speak German, you might want to first try the Deutsch-Britischer Yacht Club or the American International Yacht Club (both in the western part of the city). It'll probably be difficult to find clubs around Grünau where English is widely spoken. 

In Berlin a sailing licence is required for all boats (and until recently even to windsurf!). You can find more info on the website from the Prüfungsausschuss.

Thanks for all 

I have international sailorman license but I guess it does not work in Germany 

13 hours ago, engelchen said:

In Berlin a sailing licence is required for all boats (and until recently even to windsurf!). You can find more info on the website from the Prüfungsausschuss.