Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

paying taxes on a newly registered car

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

So I just received delivery of my new car 2 weeks ago and the dealership took care of registering the car for me. To my surprise however, I received nothing from the Finanzamt about my tax, how much it is or when's it due. 

How long does it usually take (a.k.a when should I start panicking that somethings off)?

Nowadays, you cannot register a car without handing out your bank details. Did you check your bank account for a debit? 

38 minutes ago, franklan said:

Nowadays, you cannot register a car without handing out your bank details. Did you check your bank account for a debit? 

Checked my bank account of course and nothing was deducted.

22 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Was the tax not included in the price?

No. They did the TUV and the registration for me. As far as I understood from a colleague, I should be getting a letter from the finanzamt about the amount of tax I have to pay.

27 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Was the tax not included in the price?

I'd say that the OP ia talking about the vehicle tax (e.g based on displacement of the engine) that you have to pay annually, and not about the VAT or whatever tax based on the price of the vehicle.

3 minutes ago, franklan said:

I'd say that the OP ia talking about the vehicle tax (e.g based on displacement of the engine) that you have to pay annually, and not about the VAT or whatever tax based on the price of the vehicle.

Well yeah, the kfz steuer as it's called. The VAT was of course calculated in the price I payed for the car.

2 hours ago, xcxvt said:

How long does it usually take (a.k.a when should I start panicking that somethings off)?

There bis no need to panic at all, as Franklin said you cannot register a car without handing out your bank details. You have given your account details to the tax authorities and issued a direct debit authorisation when you purchased your vehicle. There is no other way today. 

8 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

There bis no need to panic at all, as Franklin said you cannot register a car without handing out your bank details. You have given your account details to the tax authorities and issued a direct debit authorisation when you purchased your vehicle. There is no other way today. 

I assume then the dealership did that for me when they registered it at the zulassungsstelle

My experience is that normally you should receive a letter from the Amt which states how much Kfz-Steuer is due and then the money is deducted from your bank account about the same time.  It can sometimes be slightly before or slightly after you get the letter, I think depending on how efficient they are feeling at the time (and the time taken to deliver the letter).  But I can't recall exactly how long it is after registering a new car, but it can be a few weeks.   

Don't worry, The German state won't forget that you haven't paid it yet!!

I took delivery of a new car on January 8th, and I received the notice from the Hauptzollamt yesterday that they would be deducting the Kfz-Steuer from my account in the coming days. The dealer did the Zulassung for me, and I had to fill in a form, which included a Lastschrift for the Hauptzollamt. If you have any doubt, ring the dealer, but if you've successfully registered the car, expect to hear from the Hauptzollamt very soon.

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Don't worry, The German state won't forget that you haven't paid it yet!!

:D

27 minutes ago, Brockman said:

I took delivery of a new car on January 8th, and I received the notice from the Hauptzollamt yesterday that they would be deducting the Kfz-Steuer from my account in the coming days. The dealer did the Zulassung for me, and I had to fill in a form, which included a Lastschrift for the Hauptzollamt. If you have any doubt, ring the dealer, but if you've successfully registered the car, expect to hear from the Hauptzollamt very soon.

Got mine on the 12th of Jan. Let's see when I get the letter.

Thank you everyone for your time and answers!