I traveled to Russia. My visa was expired. Now Luftansa wants me to pay their penalties.

34 posts in this topic

They probably manage with their existing staff who are already getting paid.

Ever check out their profits? They ain't hurtin.

57 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Ever check out their profits? They ain't hurtin.

However they canned the restoration of the Lufthansa Super Start (Constellation aka Connie)  and now they've even canned the JU52!

9 minutes ago, HEM said:

... and now they've even canned the JU52!

What?  Where did you hear that?

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

What?  Where did you hear that?

I heard that yesterday from a LH captain (& glider pilot) whose day job is flying the A380 & is the longest-serving JU52 pilot.

Hes pretty upset.

See in Wikipedia here under Section " Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung, ab 1984, D-CDLH (D-AQUI), „Berlin-Tempelhof“ "

Im Januar 2019 wurde bekannt, dass die Lufthansa den kommerziellen Flugbetrieb der D-AQUI nicht länger finanziell unterstützt und der bisherige Rundflugbetrieb eingestellt werden muss. Die Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung ist nun auf der Suche nach einer alternativen Lösung, um die Maschine flugfähig erhalten zu können.

Which references here...

Thanks for all the responses!... (random posts about a plane being taken out of service excluded... for a second their I thought someone had posted a useful link to the court case.  Hopes dashed. :()

Yes, I was fined in Russia for failing to have a valid visitors visa (my failed job) and yes Lufthansa was fined by Russia for not doing theirs.  My fine was about 45 euro.  It appears that Lufthansa is not charging a service fee but I need to confirm that... but it would makes sense they have higher fines:
Dumb person makes a visa mistake = small fine. 
Dumb company who makes a business out of moving people = bigger fine!

My questions is really around if they already know it's not defensible, so they're just hoping I pay.  If they fully expect me to pay because I really am required to pay, then I expect they will send it to a collection agency and then fees go up a lot, and then if I still don't pay then the collections agency posts my "failure-to-pay" on my Schufa (German credit rating), then you can't buy anything that requires credit nor sign up for contracts (like cell phones).  I've already been down this road with a fraudulent car rental agency in Sicily.  No pun intended.  

I'm not a fan of cheating the system so if i "should" pay, then I will, but I hate paying if it's just a company hoping they can stick me with the bill for their failure to do their job.   

Does anybody have an actual link to the Lufhansa court case?  That seems like a useful reference when talking to them.  I tried googling it in English and German without success.

Interesting.  This would almost certainly be a problem for me.  So it really gets back to whether or not I actually need to pay them, or they're just bluffing/hopping. 

10 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

S/he certainly won't be able to fly Lufthansa (or any of their subsidiaries) again, ever, without them confiscating the payment to pay the outstanding charges and fees. Not sure how much of a loss that will be.

If I were you, I'd be the no more dumb person, pay the fine and learn from it. No Schufa problems, no drama, lesson learned.

They may even allow a payment plan if necessary. Ask them.

10 hours ago, HEM said:

See in Wikipedia here under Section " Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung, ab 1984, D-CDLH (D-AQUI), „Berlin-Tempelhof“ "

Which references here...

Oh shit!!

I was going to do that this year!  I got money for my birthday at the end of last year from family to do it. I was really looking forward to this and now I'm gutted!

I only looked last week to see if the new schedule was published (or when it would be) and it still said March.  But I just looked again and now it says that there will be no more flights!

https://www.dlbs.de/de/Ju-52-Rund-und-Streckenfluege/index.php

(I think I might go back to bed and cry!)

According to my sailplane pal (who flies - or rather flew) the JU52 currently all 3 motors are removed from the airframe as part of the planned maintenance work. 

12 hours ago, ewalberg said:

Does anybody have an actual link to the Lufhansa court case?  That seems like a useful reference when talking to them.  I tried googling it in English and German without success.

Here is a link to the press release of the BGH. It includes the file number of the previous case.

BGH press release

Come on kids, take the discussion about old planes somewhere else.  I must admit I'm a little surprised there's no moderator "punishing" people for totally unrelated posts.  Some of the forums I've been on in the US, you guys would be getting "time-outs".  

Anyway, thanks to the people who's contributed!  I do appreciate it.  This is interesting.  

Vronchen, in particular, thank you for the link!  This case is exactly applicable to my situation.  I'll report back what ultimately happens so people have the information.  I'm trying to get some answers out of them, like confirming the actual charges, fees, and penalties... it appears to me that they're dragging their feet, but it could just be the slow-moving bureaucracy.  

Fraufruit, the lesson was best learned as I stood in the airport at Friday evening at 22:00 and realized I had let my friends down; I wasn't going to be visiting them as we had planned.  The possible 800€ "Straff" is surely an inconvenience, but it doesn't change the lesson.  In any case, we agree... my plan is to avoid excessive Schufa drama.  It is, however, worth a minimum of homework to see if I can at least negotiate a fine reduction.  For example, if I can negotiate it down to 400€, that will "pay" for my next flights to St. Petersburg.  :)  Wish me luck!  

18 minutes ago, ewalberg said:

The possible 800€ "Straff" is surely an inconvenience

Just for the record, I realize they may call it a "Straff" where you live, but the real word for fine is "Strafe".

Good luck to you, but I wouldn't get my hopes up without a specific final court decision that you can refer to.