Class trips - right to refuse?

32 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Marianne013 said:

So why not give them the reason ? 

answer: 

1 hour ago, Kommentarlos said:

This was the OP's question. 

No it wasn’t.  He knows why he doesn’t want to give them the reason. 

If that was his question, then I have the perfect answer. Don’t tell them the reason because “my 14 y/o daughter will be too tired” is going to make you look silly. 

I hope that helps. 

The concept may seem strange if you are used to a school system where such excursions are extra-curricular and optional.

Remember Germany's school system does not allow home schooling, in part because they do not want a parent's beliefs determining their children's education. The same would apply to class trips, which is why they are strict about participation.

2 minutes ago, kdak2 said:

The concept may seem strange if you are used to a school system where such excursions are extra-curricular and optional.

Remember Germany's school system does not allow home schooling, in part because they do not want a parent's beliefs determining their children's education. The same would apply to class trips, which is why they are strict about participation.

I agree with the above, class trips are seen as part of a child's overall education here.  I suspect the school may have to send a report to the Schulamt as to why some child is not participating and they are asking you for details because they want to tick all the boxes.

4 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Yes, but the cost of such trips also have to be within the means of parents.

Sure, but they are not that expensive.   Something around 150 - 200  EUR for a Monday to Friday trip is pretty reasonable.  At least that has been our experience in the primary school when they do not go further than 100 or 150 km from our city.

If you are under Hartz4 they pay for it as far as I know.

Clearly, but my understanding is that if a parent goes to the school and lets them know that it's too expensive for them, an exception can be made, or they will be given some financial help.  Basically, the school needs to know what the problem is because that child will not be attending "school" with it's classmates for that time. 

There was one kid in Kid#3's class who didn't do overnight school trips - they are strict Muslims and there were issues of oversight, so that reason certainly works.

If you have something like (for example) a family wedding the following weekend back in Blighty and the kid will be too tired to be an active participant, then you do have a point and best be completely up front and pretend plenty of regret. If it is more nebulous than that then I suppose the same except being less precise about the 'why'. I have never tried - but certainly in kid#2's Hauptschule there were various non-attendees, so at least in Niedersachsen it is theoretically possible. Last minute illness is a sure way, but you may need a doctor's note I suppose. Do all towns have a 'Doctor Holiday'? - ours will apparently write a note for anything for a price - never personally needed to test this!

About costs - many threads ago, I recounted the tale of the English Facharbeitkurs at kid#1's school, where in order to write your Facharbeit in the subject English, you had to go on a 2-week trip to the USA at a projected cost of 2000€, which although not completely impossible for us at the time was not something I would entertain for a 2-week trip for 1 person, on all sorts of grounds. I did try to challenge the headmaster on the questionable morality of a state school setting up that kind of trip, but failed due to mutual misunderstanding. Eventually  kid#1 was given permission to write her Facharbeit in History (much cheaper trip to Italy) in the English language instead - good solution but not addressing my central point at all. Usually I find the teachers put considerable effort into keeping costs down, and do a really good job of it with little help from the school itself.

There is always the caveat that if the family cannot afford it, apply to the school for assistance rather than have the kid miss out.

6 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

So you didn't read the first post and/or don't know the answer either?

Yes, I read it. I hadn't realised you were providing an enforced answering opportunity. Am I allowed to opt out without explanation?

On 1/21/2019, 2:49:16, Cammiede said:

answer: 

No it wasn’t.  He knows why he doesn’t want to give them the reason. 

If that was his question, then I have the perfect answer. Don’t tell them the reason because “my 14 y/o daughter will be too tired” is going to make you look silly. 

I hope that helps. 

My 28-year-old grandson?

yeah, he tires easily. Same reason he had to repeat primary school again, according to the medics. Chronic uncontrolled TT forum use 🤣

On 1/21/2019, 6:26:50, deadsoul said:

Yes, I read it. I hadn't realised you were providing an enforced answering opportunity. Am I allowed to opt out without explanation?

It all depends if you fulfil the Snarkpflicht in para 1 of the TT Grundgesetz

On 1/21/2019, 3:27:40, kdak2 said:

I’m used to the German system where typcially (other) parents seem to have no problem getting out of school to go skiing 🤣🤪

18 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

My 28-year-old grandson?

That changes everything, mate. I can only guess that he's the teacher. A note from Grandpa that he's too tired may not be the best idea. Cheers.