Berlin, I Love You

23 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, john_b said:

Uh oh...think we have right stinker here , folks.:wacko:

But what a cast - from Helen Mirren on down.

Even worse, it could become a big hit and encourage another few hundred thousand people to move to the city.

Sorry folks,

shitters_full.jpg.ece9659cfacb77ab72f297

I mean city. City's full. Bear out front shoulda told ya.

I mean, look at this guy. Can you imagine him NOT saying "GTFO"?

5c420b2cb7977_376px-Country_symbol_of_Be

I enjoyed his  Paris je t'aime , and New York. Lovely, funny vignettes!

They also had a variety of great actors in those, so look forward to this one.

Although to be fair, my neighborhood couldn't possibly get any twattier than it's already become. It'll be some other nice calm working class area that gets gentrified to fuck next.

Is it a movie or a series?

C'mon, all movies and series peddle such things, Metall. 

Can you suggest one that doesn't?

(ETA - I don't think anyone is going to drag up roots and move to Berlin based on a movie.)

4 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Even worse, it could become a big hit and encourage another few hundred thousand people to move to the city.

I don't get it.  Isn't this what you want?  The more the merrier?

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

(ETA - I don't think anyone is going to drag up roots and move to Berlin based on a movie.)

I know for a fact people moved to Berlin because of David Bowie back in the day, thinking they could be artists, too...

12 hours ago, Metall said:

I know for a fact people moved to Berlin because of David Bowie back in the day, thinking they could be artists, too...

That makes some sense.

I can't for the life of me work out why anyone would want to live in an ex-Communist tower block paradise. btw Munich is equally awful, especially since the Allies "re-engineered" (my phrase) 60% of it in WW2. It used to be a beautiful city before then.

No wonder everyone when they get a family moves out to the Alps. 

I think, for the first time,  net migration is the other way.   Something also attributed to the increased conservatism of the Bavarian government.   Read that in coverage of the last election.

I can only say for the bits of  east Berlin I know that, especially outside the centre, there's some spectacular nature - lakes, forests etc.  Just no mountains.   It's also got that modern urban thing happening where  areas round rivers never used to be in demand (industrial, polluted etc) and thus got used for commodity housing etc but are now as more appealing.   Where I moved back to part-time, many very random post-war buildings of various shapes / sizes / colours / quality are set in attractive surrounds.   And while some popular districts are really densely populated, a lot of the rest remains fairly empty (the one I mentioned is about 500 per sq km, and neihghbouring ones down to 250).

21 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

17 hours ago, fraufruit said:

between the grunge movement and the movie Singles, roughly eleventy bazillion people moved to Seattle in the early 90s, and that was even before they started getting job offers from Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, Nintendo, the biochemistry sector etc

17 minutes ago, zeeklafreek said:

Couldn't even make it through the trailer. :/

properly awful.  What primarily got me through was identifying all the locations

It's happened in many many forms.  In the 80s, in the UK, there was a whole thing about moving to France, largely based on a book A Year in Provence.    A bit chicken and egg possibly of course though in that there often has to be some sort of build up often, before people put money into the art, or better known artists follow in.     Phenomena like people moving to places from having at least heard of them through football / sports teams is also a familiar thing in the UK (would bet Dortmund gets a bit of that here).

18 hours ago, Metall said:

*pukes*

Another movie peddling stereotypes and false dreams...

19 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

between the grunge movement and the movie Singles, roughly eleventy bazillion people moved to Seattle in the early 90s, and that was even before they started getting job offers from Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, Nintendo, the biochemistry sector etc

I've now had the curse TWICE to live in the "coolest" city in a place during the height of its national/global appeal, and it's exactly that, people come flocking from around the everything to chase the feeling they got from a bit of carefully scripted cinematography.  Pathetic really..

It baffles me in the sense that when I tell people where my family live (and we do not), I invariably get "oh, that's trendy".  They were getting that in years starting with 19, more than 20 years ago, and of course now it's one of those places the malls have gone up and all of that.   A relative in a fashionable district of a UK city gets that and I remember her getting that in the early 1980s, and almost ever since (except possibly the periodic gang war shooty years) :rolleyes:.  It always seems to be the in thing to the next set, but up-ing the level of gentrification.

That 90s period I think was when we started seeing the middle classes switching from cherishing the suburbs to wanting a slice of urban action.  Even inner London was unfashionable then.   Then the crash bought a second wave.

Agree the trailer is pure cringe. I also couldn't finish it.

But c'mon... nothing finer than a bunch of foreigners in Berlin who -- wait for it, this is great -- complain about other people moving to Berlin for the same 'romantic' reasons they did. :lol: 

Interesting place to visit, good shopping in some respects. Also a good place to be a weirdo and blend in, I guess. Can't think of much else.