Switching from Private to Public health Insurance

91 posts in this topic

On 21.11.2019, 21:05:02, Ohrwurm said:

It is surely madness to stay in Private insurance here. I also happened to do this mistake , 5years ago and I regret every moment. Apart from private room in hospital, I really dont see any great benefit compared to public insurance. Unfortunately , my husband who is the only earning member in the family, cannot switch back to public insurance, because his salary is not going to go lower than 4250euros per month. However I am not working and with 2 children, we are paying a Premium Private insurance !

Can I and my children alone switch back to public insurance? Because I do not have a job, will the Private insurance allow only me and my kids to switch back to Public insurance? does anybody know about this ?

That would not really help you much on the cost-side, I am afraid. Because you husband is privately insured, you would have to pay around 50% of the max. public health insurance contribution (which is around 400-450 EUR then) per month plus each child will also have to pay extra at around 150-180 EUR per month for public health insurance. Therefore I doubt that it is financially very beneficial for you to switch...

Private insurance can have a lot of benefits, especially for dental coverage (depending on how old your children are and what was excluded, perhaps, when signing them up, the far better and comprehensive coverage for orthodontic treatments in private health insurance for children can be a huge plus in the overall calculation) but also regarding some outpatient services and coverage. But it is certainly not the best solution for everyone and it may well have been that your husband was ill-advised with signing up for private health insurance way back when.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

On 11/25/2019, 8:46:53, Starshollow said:

Private insurance can have a lot of benefits, especially for dental coverage (depending on how old your children are and what was excluded, perhaps, when signing them up, the far better and comprehensive coverage for orthodontic treatments in private health insurance for children can be a huge plus in the overall calculation) but also regarding some outpatient services and coverage.

While I despise being in private insurance (also ended up in private insurance through some bad advise), I can vouch for the dental coverage statement.  My 2 children (9 & 11) both need orthodontic work.  about €16,000 between them, which will be fully covered by health insurance (if the little buggers see out their treatment correctly and wear their mouth plates).  At least I finally get some value for money.

Meanwhile for me - 4 years with Axa, never made a claim and it still goes up about €50/month annually...

Your children will have 16,000 euros of dental treatment paid for, global? And you are complaining?

I am surprised, by the way, that you as a famíly got recommended private insurance ( unless your wife has her own eg public insurance ) instead of supplementary private insurance as a top up..but anyway,

By the way, public insurance costs are going up in January for " high earners " ..and AXA are increasing their prices in some tariffs-in some cases.by quite a high amount.

Your never having made a claim: it has nothing to do with you personally. It´s group dynamics! The whole pot. Same as for public insurance.

First world problem?

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

It has been a long while but my son's braces were paid by public insurance but as you said, he had to complete the whole program.

@fraufruit : that must have been indeed a good while ago...because nowadays the public health insurances only cover anymore orthodontic cases in group III,  IV and V,  which are really serious deformation of the jaw/teeth. Anything below that which is more considered "cosmetical" is not covered anymore.

https://www.kostenfalle-zahn.de/projekt-kostenfalle-zahn/kieferorthopaedie/kieferorthopaedie-bei-kindern-ist-kassenleistung-13434

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Thanks for the info. He may have qualified under the new laws because he has a form of cleft palate since birth. That affected his teeth.

Just now, fraufruit said:

Thanks for the info. He may have qualified under the new laws because he has a form of cleft palate since birth. That affected his teeth.

that might indeed be considered as qualifiying...

Cheerio

Hi all - I have a couple of questions around this topic due to my work situation next year. I currently have private health insurance but from March next year I will be going part-time (same job, prorated salary) which I think will bring my salary below the threshold. What is the threshold for 2020? Is it based on your total yearly salary or monthly? If I am below the threshold, does this mean I *can* change to public, or that I *must*? I am EU citizen for now (UK...), have been working here for 3.5 years and I was briefly (6 months) enrolled in public health insurance (TK) when I first came to Germany, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

if and when your gross salary falls below the legal threshold, you'll be compulsorily insured in public health insurance. I.e. you MUST go there. Should you plan on going back later to private health insurance, it would be wise to set up a so-called "Anwartschaft" which lets you back at the same prices (and without additional health risks) later anytime.

Cheerio

PS: the legal threshold in 2020 will be a gross salary of 62.550 EUR per year or 1/12 of that per months. If your monthly salary drops below that threshold, you'll be forced to move to public insurance right away.

62.550 Euro
62.550 Euro
62.550 Euro

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2019‎ ‎09‎:‎50‎:‎11, Starshollow said:

if and when your gross salary falls below the legal threshold, you'll be compulsorily insured in public health insurance. I.e. you MUST go there. Should you plan on going back later to private health insurance, it would be wise to set up a so-called "Anwartschaft" which lets you back at the same prices (and without additional health risks) later anytime.

Cheerio

PS: the legal threshold in 2020 will be a gross salary of 62.550 EUR per year or 1/12 of that per months. If your monthly salary drops below that threshold, you'll be forced to move to public insurance right away.

62.550 Euro
62.550 Euro
62.550 Euro

Unless your over 55, and have an offer for your first job in Germany for over 20 years, were insured when you arrived as a family member of GKV and moved with your husband to an international Insurance for just under 2 and a half years because of his job.

Then you're completely up S*** Creek without a paddle.

Hello All,

I am sailing the same boat as many and I don't seem to get the PKV and GKV story to an end.

In January I started with a sabbatical and therefore entered into the GKV. TK was very happy to take me into their insurance and it went all well.

This is how it all occurred: 

The employer first sent me a letter in January informing me that I would have to be public insured from January onwards and that he had informed the TK also (since I was registered there before going for private). When I contacted TK, they informed me that I would join TK in coordination with my employer, and private health insurance was also informed of my termination of the contract with them. As a result, I became a member of TK Versicherung from January 2020.

Due to the continuing travel restrictions related to the corona crisis, I had to cancel my sabbatical. But before I canceled my sabbatical, I spoke to TK employees in their branch on March 4. I specifically asked whether the termination of my Sabbatical and the effective increase in my salary (through the JAEG) from March would be a reason for TK to terminate my membership. TK consultant assured me that this was not the case.

He also pointed out that even a monthly salary, which is below the monthly limit, is sufficient to enter TK insurance by law. It was also mentioned that the reassessment of insurance entries and exits should occur at the end of the year and not sometime in the middle when the salary increases again due to the termination of the sabbatical. Because of part-time work or for other reasons, it can still happen that the annual wages do not exceed the JAEG limit.

My January and February salaries were below the JAEG limit and are therefore valid for entry into the Public Insurance. Even if the wages exceed the JAEG limit, statutory health insurance should give me the option of voluntarily staying in the same insurance.

But I received a letter from TK yesterday stating that they have cancelled my insurance since I am not "versicherungspflichtig" and that I should just send them back my insurance card. 

Please let me know about my options to stay with TK because I have already canceled the other private insurance and I have no way of getting it back.I also declined the "Anwartschaft" since I was assured by TK that everything was under control and I didn't need to worry. 

I would be very grateful for your help and suggestions in this matter. Thank You.