Switching from Private to Public health Insurance

74 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am urgently looking ways to switch my health insurance from Private to Public as every year the premium is increased by Insurance provider. That too when our Medical expenses are almost null. 

I have heard that one way is if the income goes below 54k pa then one will automatically be switched to Public health insurance. 

So my question is does it also apply if the working hours are reduced to decreased the income? 

Thanks,

Ashfra

correct!!

:)

By the way, Ashfra....OUR medical expenses??? Who else is on your plan?

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I hate these cherry pickers. When it's cheap they go private and buy a Mercedes.

When it gets expensive they want to go public.

That should be stopped completely.

@someonesdaughter:) I am 40 year old. 

@john g., My case is bit complicated.

Me and my 12 year old kid are privately insured.

My wife who is homemaker is publicly insured.

As my wife doesnt work I also have to pay her public health insurance premium along with my kids and mine private health insurance premium.

I get employee contribution only for my kid and mine private insurance part and not wife's part due to some shitty law which I dont understand.

Ok, Ashfra! If you can get your salary lowered, get everyone on your public insurance. If you later get more money from your job, you can still stay on public insurance

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

@AnswerToLife42, who cares about your likes and dislikes. Rather I dont like ignorant chaps who without getting complete background forms perception. 

- When we arrived in germany we were not correctly informed about insurance differences. The advice suggested pvt insurance is best 

- Since the time I am in germany I am paying for 3 members.

- we have hardly used the medical services by god grace.

- even then every year I see our premium is increased.

Now you ve background pls do keep quite if you cant be of any help.

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Ashfra said:

Lucky you! ;) 

(I concluded from your questions about the Baukindergeld that you are under 55 - I only wanted to anchor the restriction in the thread for future searches). 

A health insurance policy is not a flat rate for doctor visits and medication - but, like any insurance policy, it covers a risk. No matter whether the risk occurs or not. 

And HEM is right in principle, cherry picking should be prevented completely. 

Sure @someonesdaughterand thanks for your responses. 

And I am paying premium for last 14 years and since now I have reaching near to break even situation(earning = expense) I need to cherry pick for survival.

7 minutes ago, Ashfra said:

@AnswerToLife42, who cares about your likes and dislikes. Rather I dont like ignorant chaps who without getting complete background forms perception. 

- When we arrived in germany we were not correctly informed about insurance differences. The advice suggested pvt insurance is best 

- Since the time I am in germany I am paying for 3 members.

- even then every year I see our premium is increased.

Now you ve background pls do keep quite if you cant be of any help.

Thanks.

Major issue....expats not getting correct professional advice about health insurance and other insurances.

A disclaimer: I´m an independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser on Toytown  and face these issues daily- as do the people who contact me.   

5 minutes ago, Ashfra said:

I need to cherry pick for survival.

Well, anyone who can buy a property in Frankfurt is not exactly fighting for survival ...

4 minutes ago, john g. said:

Major issue...expats not getting correct professional advice about health insurance and other insurances.

Often the wrong end of the coin is used for saving. It's the same with tax issues, 'just do it' and when it goes wrong, the astonishment is great. 

*(especially if you consider that you get your commissions from the insurances and not from your clients). 

@john g., getting salary lowered for whole year will make financial situation even worse. Will increasing limit to pay first few hundred euros from pocket bring down premium? 

You need to contact your private insurance company to ask them about the options re excess/deductible. (German word: Selbstbeteiligung ). Or do you also have  " extras " which you do not REALLY need? eg private hospital room ?

@someonesdaughter, you can if you sell  property at you native place and buy here with that money. Ultimately loan installment is same as I used to pay rent. However now I am simply going to ignore responses which are not related to my query sorry.

4 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Well, anyone who can buy a property in Frankfurt is not exactly fighting for survival ...

Often the wrong end of the coin is used for saving. It's the same with tax issues, 'just do it' and when it goes wrong, the astonishment is great. 

*(especially if you consider that you get your commissions from the insurances and not from your clients). 

An untold issue from a broker point of view. I deal mostly with expats..if we do private German health insurance, I am liable to repay commissions pro rata  if they cancel/leave the country/ go elsewhere and sign up for something else/get unemployed etc etc within FIVE years!

Brexit is having an effect, too...I am asking around whether companies will accept applications from self-employed (mostly a possible problem ) Brits....in case of a No Deal or whatever...

Also with TK public insurance----they are not sure either!!! Last word was: NO DEAL...NO guaranteed acceptance of applications from newly-arriving self-employed Brits...

49 minutes ago, Ashfra said:

@john g., My case is bit complicated.

Me and my 12 year old kid are privately insured.

My wife who is homemaker is publicly insured.

As my wife doesnt work I also have to pay her public health insurance premium along with my kids and mine private health insurance premium.

I get employee contribution only for my kid and mine private insurance part and not wife's part due to some shitty law which I dont understand.

The shitty law refers to the so-called Hausfrauentarif...her public insurance price is based on 50 per cent of your earnings as a privately insured person.

https://www.krankenkassenzentrale.de/wiki/krankenkasse-tarife#   --from 2016 but there you are..quickest I could find this time of night and with one good eye!!!:lol:

The whole system is madness and overly complicated.

So it seems that you can go from private to public health insurance if you are under 55 and can find a job in 2019 paying around 60K or below. Then if your salary rises later you can stay on public insurance. My question is; How long do you need to be on 60K or under before you can be accepted for public health insurance ? For example could you get a job for 3 months at 60k and then once you are on public health insurance look for a job with a higher salary ? Just wondering.