The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

300 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, J0ker said:

Humans haven't changed all that much in the last few thousand years

If you say so...

3 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

If you say so...

Have you ever experienced war or the complete collapse of social order?  Or people doing what they have to do in order to survive?  When placed under such extreme stress social norms fly out the window and man reverts back to his primordial nature.

15 hours ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

The world can be both things simultaneously: in decline and progressing.

Rather than "both", I prefer "multiple" with respect to various trends and cycles.  

With respect to technology, humans may be as advanced as ever.     

Human nature may not change much.   We are still constrained by our brainware.   

8 hours ago, J0ker said:

Of course men are flawed.  But do we really want a 60 year-old "lesbian" redefining masculinity?  If anything guys would be more interested in Svetlana's or WiccaChica's opinion.

Some of my best friends are 60 year-olds.   

Don't measure all lesbians by the antics you see from Metall and AlexTr on this thread.  Their desire to even some score against men in general which stems from their own bad experiences actually causes more dissonance.   

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Rather than "both", I prefer "multiple" with respect to various trends and cycles.  

With respect to technology, humans may be as advanced as ever.     

Human nature may not change much.   We are still constrained by our brainware.   

This is so true. Our technology has advanced but we humans have not really evolved that much. As Joker says, you only have to experience war to see that we humans are not better in fact worse than animals.  Childbirth is still dangerous and can cause life changing injuries for example.. or even death. Sure medicine has advanced but it is still pretty brutal.

I think artificial intelligence is the future.  There have been enough films made about it, terminator, Robocop, I Robot, Alternate Carbon, Battlestar Galactica and not forgetting the amazing series Black Mirror...

Topic for another thread though ;)

18 hours ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

"Your lying nostalgia is bad, it is a Nazi thing and will kill again."

I missed this yesterday and it is brilliant and succinct. All of the people who are literally arguing for allowing the "boys will be boys" tripe are actually saying "Let me be an asshole. Don't make me responsible for the hurt and suffering I bring to the world. Allow me to use name-calling and ignorance as sword and shield." I see that Joker is posting. He has likely demonstrated all of that in his posts very well. These are the arguments of people who think accountability and consequences are for other people and that their own poor behavior should proceed with impunity. These are the arguments of weak minds.

13 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Renting is shit because you pay and pay and end up with nothing. your landlord has the power. 

You rent out your second house if I recall correctly.. 

Where does that put you?    

Are you the powerful one or are the one that forced your tennant into a shit situation ?

Rent is a cost of living that on can plan on paying in one's future financial plan. We have  a nice apartment in Schwabing that we could never afford to buy. Well, we could but then we would be house poor and not get to enjoy the things that we do now. Our little rental pays half of our rent so it isn't much more than paying house costs if we owned our own place. Zero money on repairs,etc. for 30 yrs and going.

Nobody lives for free.

you also have an excellent landlord, you lucky girl :)

but even with a bad landlord, this notion that they have all the power is just not true in Germany.

19 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Nobody lives for free.

Hang on a minute... didnt you say, not so long ago that you were a kept woman?  :huh:

A member of the editorial board of the Kansas City Star, one of the heartland's paragons, takes on the ad and reminds us that this type of lecture has been given since 1940, but only now do we have men so terrified of having to reject their inner Goofus that they wail and rail, bitch, whine, moan, and complain about it.

What kind of radical man-haters would try to pass off a normal guy’s native boyness as in constant need of correction? And what kind of humorless virtue-signaler, clearly consumed by misandry, would routinely paint the untamed male as the sort of dirty little cave boy who’d delight in frightening small animals and chucking rocks at birds?

Let me guess: Does this monster also taunt turtles and crush in...sects for fun? What a cartoon.

I refer, of course, to that old Highlights magazine highlight, the “Goofus and Gallant” comic, where Goofus has been behaving badly since 1946. (“There’s some Goofus and Gallant in us all,” the feature currently notes, in case we can’t figure that out. “When the Gallant shines through we show our best self.”)

That’s the same basic — really basic — and non-threatening message conveyed by the new Gillette ad that has so offended the likes of the actor James Woods and TV personality Piers Morgan. Morgan described the anti-bullying, anti-harassment call for men to be their best rather than worst selves “pathetic,” “virtue-signalling” and “a direct consequence of radical feminists” engaged in “a war against masculinity.”

You really have to wonder if the critics watched all the way to the end of the commercial, which runs a whole minute and 48 seconds.

If they did, I can’t see how they’d be aggrieved instead of inspired — and maybe even a little bit proud of the suggestion that these days, more and more men are letting their inner Gallant come out to play. It shows men standing up for what’s right — and for women and children, by the way — instead of just walking on by.

It shows one father encouraging his toddler daughter, and another breaking up a fight; that’s not radical feminism, but masculinity properly understood.

“There will be no going back,” to when bullying and harassment were excused or ignored, the ad says, “because we, we believe in the best in men.”

In responding with out-of-all-perspective outrage to the message that “You’ve got this,” are critics really saying that men are incorrigible? Or that it’s wrong to believe poor Goofus could ever learn from his mistakes?

Maybe the problem is all those coddled millennial 20-35 guys really have a problem with being told to control themselves because they have been expecting an award for just showing up. How dare we ask them to demonstrate social behavior that has been promoted for over 70 years?! Why that's outrageous!

To be fair society as a whole is becoming rude. Lack of manners. You see it all the time, people charging on the bus, not giving their seat up for elderly people etc etc..

Sure the old days were hard, people worried about getting enough food etc etc.. but there were better manners. Swearing is almost completly normal nowadays and accepted. Nearly everyone swears like a sailor and it is ok.

It is kind of sad that there has to be an advert saying "hey be nice to each other, be polite".

Morality kind of going down the toilet in a way.

13 hours ago, J0ker said:

We need to bring Al Bundy back.  He was a bad husband, father, employee, lover, provider but he was extremely effective against feminists.

J0ker have you checked out non-PC Bill Burr? I love his stuff. He's on Youtube..

13 hours ago, J0ker said:

Sorry to eavesdrop but I think WiccaChica's right in a sense.  Every civilization eventually dies so why do you think that the West is an exception?  The typical signs of a declining civilization are declining birth rates, a widening gap in the distribution of wealth, increased promiscuity, decline in traditions/religion, the unwillingness of the native stock to fight, decadence and all these are present in the West.  Ancient Rome went into demographic decline around the time of Julius Caesar when children were "a luxury that only the poor could afford" and had all these other signs as well.  They were able to offset the problem for a couple of centuries by quasi-immigration i.e.mass enslavement after which the slaves would become emancipated and their children/grandchildren would become full citizens.  But eventually the task was too great and the city eventually fell.

This may be a difficult pill to swallow especially for somebody with liberal leanings but that's just the way it is.  I'm actually a fan of Will Durant, a 20th century American historian.  Although he was a leftist, he recognized these inevitabilities in his research.

Have you checked out Plato's Republic? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato%27s_five_regimes

We are in the tyranny stage right now. 

If you wish to understand what is being done to the West, check out this chat by a KGB defector, Yugi Bezmenov:

" a slow process which we call...ideological subversion". You may be shocked.

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

Hang on a minute... didnt you say, not so long ago that you were a kept woman?  :huh:

Kept, I thought more unkempt.  ;)

20 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Er, more alphabetti spaghetti. But aren't you an adherent of a religion which expresses its masculinity by throwing gays off buildings and stones young girls for adultery?

Religions don't have agency, so I don't know how a religion could "express its masculinity". There are some Muslims who operate violent social orders that are fully contiguous with the vigorous masculinity that so many people here seem to prize and see as the backbone of "Western Civilization" -- yes, traditional "Western" masculinity comes from the same source as the ancient patriarchal practices in the rest of the world. 

In any case, to repeat an overused Hamlet quote, "There are more things on heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" or something like that.  I am large, I contain multitudes, I am a project of a conceptual art collective, all of my/our posts will be lithographed and buried deep in the earth where they will last until the sun bloats.

18 hours ago, J0ker said:

But do we really want a 60 year-old "lesbian" redefining masculinity?

Au contraire, I can't think of anyone better. If anyone is to redefine masculinity, it should be someone with the experience of being on the receiving end of its problems, who will know what is necessary to defang it.