The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

329 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Metall said:

That is greatness.

Out the bullies!

Out the pervert!.

Out the trolls!

Well, you know, as a lesbian who once lost a job due to outing, I think turnabout is always fair play.

39 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

This is for Camlough who accused me of following conspiracy theories. It is a speech given by JF Kennedy in 1961 at the Waldorf Astoria:

There is a movement to avenge his death and bring those responsible to justice. 

They need to move quick because those responsible are either dead, dying or have dementia, he was assassinated 55 years ago.

38 minutes ago, French bean said:

They need to move quick because those responsible are either dead, dying or have dementia, he was assassinated 55 years ago.

Er, no. The Deep State responsible for JFK (it is alleged the GHW Bush was there in Dallas but I am uncertain) was also responsible for this:

You all know the two towers went down that day but quite a few don't know a third tower also fell - Building 7. Fuck me I was down to the last five for a UN job in the building nearby. Thank God I never got the job.

https://www.tikkun.org/newsite/trump-the-deep-state

https://www.amazon.com/American-Deep-State-Democracy-Library/dp/1442214244

Peter Dale Scott invented the term Deep State.

19 hours ago, Anna66 said:

We all have a free will, and we all choose what we do. Sure there is the herd mentality, and a good role model doing the right thing does help, but at the end of the day you cannot change bad people's behaviour. Just like you cannot make a rotten apple turn fresh again.

Free will is a nice idea, and there is an element of it in certain ways, but on the whole, we don't 'really' have so much free will as we think. No, you won't change everyone's "bad behaviour" (apart from murder, rape, theft, cannibalism and incest, it's a pretty subjective idea anyhow), but you can make a dent. The recidivism of criminals is not simply because they are choosing to be criminals. The continued use of heroin or meth by addicts is not simply free will. That's obvious enough to us. The less obvious influences on our behaviour are what the religious, legal types, evolutionary scientists, psychologists, economists, etc. disagree with. You can see by the recent APA statement on masculinity, which is of course partly political. It wasn't that long ago that homosexuality or transgenderism were considered genuine mental illnesses. Of course these are altered due to changing mores and politics, they blow with the wind. They can blow back, too.

Otherwise, I'm in agreement.

I don't like the ad because I find it just more corporate pandering and bandwagoning. The message is OK, but cliche patronizing whateverness. Sure takes real guts to join the back-slapping parade a year after it started. P&G is hypocritical, but that's the nature of the marketing beast. Riding the moral high horse while flogging (mostly) unnecessary products preying on invented insecurities is a bit rich for my blood. For example, do women really need to shave their body hair? Not really, but cosmetics marketers (P&G being a juggernaut) have done a great job of convincing most Western women they do. Oh, it's free will of course, never mind the pink tax. Gillette and P&G hope to capitalize on a trend, no more no less. As mentioned above, lots of people are talking about Gillette, so mission successful. Someone at P&G is going to get a promotion. Still, when Europe becomes an Islamic caliphate (note: sarcasm), and shaving is haraam, Gillette will be the first putting out commercials playing nasheeds to sell Imam-approved moustache combs and beard shampoo.

3 hours ago, theGman said:

Sure, you generally cannot change an individual, like you say, an arsehole is an arsehole. And I also continue to smoke despite the pictures on the packet. But that's not the point. You said so yourself. There is herd mentality, role modelling and general societal culture.

Back in the day everyone used to think it was OK to punish people with torture for steeling a loaf of bread. Now it's not. Not that long ago homosexuality was a big fat no no. Now finally those times are slowly disappearing. Only some years ago people used to smoke on planes, in offices, in restaurants. Remember how disgusting that was? Society changes.

This "advert" just falls into that (wrapped in all it's cynical glory). Just like the smoking pictures. It's just part of societal change.

It is good to see change, but sadly I have met people who despite their upbringing, privilege and age still think like dinosaurs. I found it really shocking and sad. I certainly would not like to go back to the way it was ever.

When you think women were granted suffrage 101 years ago, we have come a long way since then. Then the civil rights movement etc etc...

Still a long way to go and there are still countries who live under extreme laws were people still are tortured and their lives are still restricted. We live in luxury compared to that.

The ad was made by Kim Gehrig who is a hardcore feminist. I don't understand why women, especially ones with animosity towards men, should define what a man should be like if men shouldn't do the opposite to women. The ad, itself, is just an attempt get on the virtue signalling bandwagon but according to this marketing professor, it wasn't such a good idea:

Why Gillette's New Ad Campaign Is Toxic

18 hours ago, BayrischDude said:

I am a man, masculine and proud.  I've been called an arsehole at work.  A title I wore proudly.  I've never been called one by any woman in me personal life. 

To call masculinity toxic is utter shite!  Yes there are arsholes in this world who abuse women.  There always will be.  it's a fact.  As there are arshole women.  Another fact.

I agree and you shouldn't be ashamed for being an old school bloke but it seems this forum has some issues against men. First this man-free space idea and the glorifying of this commercial. I can't speak for others but I prefer my men masculine.

21 hours ago, pappnase said:

I loved this quote from a guardian article about it all yesterday:-

The same could be said for the designated minority groups as well. However what you are trying to do is change a certain group's behaviour while going against nature. In this sense you are trying to impose your will on that group. Most women wouldn't want an ad how to behave so why should men?

21 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I tell you what will happen if this #meetoo things continues to be out of hand: the sexual revolution of the 60´s will die. Men will be afraid to approach women. And dildo sales will go off the roof.

ahahaha I think this has already happened or am I just living in Germany? I've noticed that men rarely approach women here. Perhaps I'm just an ugly witch but that wasn't the case in other places.

12 minutes ago, WiccaChica said:

I agree and you shouldn't be ashamed for being an old school bloke but it seems this forum has some issues against men. First this man-free space idea and the glorifying of this commercial. I can't speak for others but I prefer my men masculine.

Beautifully written.

10 minutes ago, WiccaChica said:

I agree and you shouldn't be ashamed for being an old school bloke

But it depends on what "old school bloke" means. Just look at all the 70's TV stars going through the courts these days. Their defence, "well that's what it was like back then". Casting couches, pats on the arse, copping a feel of the 16 year olds. Casual racism. Homophobia.

I hate the whole "things were better back in my day" argument. No they weren't. I've got family members that say this but when you drill down into it, they really weren't better times.

10 minutes ago, WiccaChica said:

ahahaha I think this has already happened or am I just living in Germany? I've noticed that men rarely approach women here. Perhaps I'm just an ugly witch but that wasn't the case in other places.

Absolutely right! German men don´t know how to speak with women. Maybe that´s why Germany is one of the countries in Europe where more men pay prostitutes.

8 minutes ago, theGman said:

But it depends on what "old school bloke" means. Just look at all the 70's TV stars going through the courts these days. Their defence, "well that's what it was like back then". Casting couches, pats on the arse, copping a feel of the 16 year olds. Casual racism. Homophobia.

I hate the whole "things were better back in my day" argument. No they weren't. I've got family members that say this but when you drill down into it, they really weren't better times.

And I suppose we are better human beings than the scum of old. A very feel good narrative but not true. The so-called Hollywood celebrities were always pervs and still are. They are just quieter about it.

And I'm not talking about random ass grabbing. Drunk losers do these things not real men.

59 minutes ago, WiccaChica said:

And I suppose we are better human beings than the scum of old.

Sure, I already see it with my generation compared to the next. Smoking, drinking, teenage pregnancy rates all down. Treatment of people with disabilities, LGBT acceptance, levels of xenophobia and racism. I can't think of any better time in history to grow up than now. Can you?

18 minutes ago, WiccaChica said:

The same could be said for the designated minority groups as well. However what you are trying to do is change a certain group's behaviour while going against nature. In this sense you are trying to impose your will on that group. Most women wouldn't want an ad how to behave so why should men?

Wednesday night there was a Facebook post on one of the nearby 'spotted' town threads. A lad was asking for his friend the name of a girl who worked in a bakery. I newly spewed my beer on the Computer screen! I replied that a real man would simply ask her directly... and a real mate would tell him to do so.

The comments to my remark was astounding...both men and women and most of the women asked why men don't do so.  Weicheier! ??

6 minutes ago, theGman said:

Sure, I already see it with my generation compared to the next. Smoking, drinking, teenage pregnancy rates all down. Treatment of people with disabilities, LGBT acceptance, levels of Xenophobia and racism. I can't think of any better time in history to grow up than now. Can you?

Oh how little history you know (Have you ever heard of La Belle Époque and what followed it?) ! Many generations thought they were better than the ones in days of yore only to have it all crash down. History is not linear but circular and repeats itself. As for the levels of xenophobia going down, you are only looking at a small segment of a very large world. You have no idea what's to come. Enjoy it while it lasts.

11 minutes ago, BayrischDude said:

Wednesday night there was a Facebook post on one of the nearby 'spotted' town threads. A lad was asking for his friend the name of a girl who worked in a bakery. I newly spewed my beer on the Computer screen! I replied that a real man would simply ask her directly... and a real mate would tell him to do so.

The comments to my remark was astounding...both men and women and most of the women asked why men don't do so.  Weicheier! ??

This is due to virtue signalling and political correctness. You have to pretend to be a complete twat in order to remain within th e lines of polite society. Just another example why I, against all odds, swing right/conservative.

13 minutes ago, WiccaChica said:

Oh how little history you know (Have you ever heard of La Belle Époque and what followed it?) !

You are going to have to enlighten me of your point here. It was an era of progress, scientific and technological advancement, culture and arts. Yes it was also an era of a large divide between the rich and poor (like now), and it's end was marked by the beginning of WW1, but I still don't get the point. Are you saying we shouldn't try to better ourselves because in the end it will all collapse and result in war?

Many generations thought they were better than the ones in days of yore only to have it all crash down.

???

History is not linear but circular and repeats itself.

I don't agree. Of course there are ups and downs. And some things go and come back again. But for sure today is better than yesterday. Which era would you have rather have grown up in?

As for the levels of xenophobia going down, you are only looking at a small segment of a very large world. You have no idea what's to come. Enjoy it while it lasts.

This is tin-foil hat territory here.

Seriously, what is the point? The world is shit, always has been, always will be and so we shouldn't try to better ourselves or reduce levels of abuse/homophobia/racism etc etc?

I haven't seen the ad and have no inclination to do so, but

1. Gillette's marketing team deserves a big bonus simply for keeping their name in lights. Going viral, yeah baby.

2. it annoys/enrages all the right people, causing them to secrete nutritious servings of "Not All Men" and "Women Do It Too"*. Glorious.

*Both of which facts are true, but say nothing about masculinity as a set of oppressive gender expectations inculcated through thousands of years of cultural conditioning and emotionally defended as essential biological fact.

1 hour ago, WiccaChica said:

Oh how little history you know (Have you ever heard of La Belle Époque and what followed it?) ! Many generations thought they were better than the ones in days of yore only to have it all crash down. History is not linear but circular and repeats itself. As for the levels of xenophobia going down, you are only looking at a small segment of a very large world. You have no idea what's to come. Enjoy it while it lasts.

This, I agree with.  Things are bad.  The Nazis are increasingly proud to be Nazis again.  They have a tendency to catch up to the present jargon and use it against itself. Tricksy.  Eventually, they want to drop the pretences and be loud and proud again.  Not have to "virtue-signal" anymore, indeed, they want to stigmatize the very act of using language and behaving in ways to do not oppress.  It's getting worse and worse, they're getting louder and prouder, there's nowhere on Earth to hide from it, and the only thing to do is to witness unapologetically: "Your lying nostalgia is bad, it is a Nazi thing and will kill again."