The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

300 posts in this topic

No! Don´t watch TV! But just listened to/ saw your link!

Immediate comment: what is all the fuss about?

8 minutes ago, john g. said:

No! Don´t watch TV! But just listened to/ saw your link!

Immediate comment: what is all the fuss about?

Exactly!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

Are you mansplaining to me on the Gillette thread?

Definitely parody.   

5 hours ago, balticus said:

Are you mansplaining to me on the Gillette thread?

Definitely parody.   

1) Only men can mansplain.

2) You are still using that word incorrectly. Is English not your first language? In order for a parody to occur, a serious original must happen. The word you are looking for is satire. 

My wife always says, " You win or you learn." Now you have learned. Be best.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

1) Only men can mansplain.

2) You are still using that word incorrectly. Is English not your first language? In order for a parody to occur, a serious original must happen. The word you are looking for is satire. 

My wife always says, " You win or you learn." Now you have learned. Be best.

While English is not my first language, your link provides the definition below.   There are others.   

parody” im Englisch. [ C or U ] writing, music, art, speech, etc. that intentionally copies the style of someone famous or copies a particular situation, making the features or qualities of the original more noticeable in a way that is humorous: He was an 18th-century author who wrote parodies of other people's works.

This forum has what I thought were humorous imitations of serious internet discussions.   I assumed that when you were incorrectly attempting to correct my use of language, it was a reference to the boardroom scene in the Gillette commercial in which the man standing places his hand on the shoulder of the woman and mansplains "what she really meant".   

Your personal details may help explain the gigantic chip on your shoulder.    Take it easy.   

39 minutes ago, balticus said:

While English is not my first language, your link provides the definition below.   There are others.   

parody” im Englisch. [ C or U ] writing, music, art, speech, etc. that intentionally copies the style of someone famous or copies a particular situation, making the features or qualities of the original more noticeable in a way that is humorous: He was an 18th-century author who wrote parodies of other people's works.

This forum has what I thought were humorous imitations of serious internet discussions.   I assumed that when you were incorrectly attempting to correct my use of language, it was a reference to the boardroom scene in the Gillette commercial in which the man standing places his hand on the shoulder of the woman and mansplains "what she really meant".   

Your personal details may help explain the gigantic chip on your shoulder.    Take it easy.   

Thanks for repeating the definition. I know it. Of course, this thread and most of the threads on TT fail to meet this definition in every way. I'd suggest you watch some famous movie parodies, maybe Spaceballs or Blazing Saddles.

Back to this thread: I'll be happy to entertain any serious discussion of this topic that you think this thread is parodying. Please, hold forth with your examples. 

Unless and until you can do that, how about you just refrain from using that word. It's a bit beyond your reach.

46 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Unless and until you can do that, how about you just refrain from using that word. It's a bit beyond your reach.

Bless your heart.   

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Thanks for repeating the definition. I know it. Of course, this thread and most of the threads on TT fail to meet this definition in every way. I'd suggest you watch some famous movie parodies, maybe Spaceballs or Blazing Saddles.

Sorry dear but your PC angry mob would forbid the making of that classic movie. They asked Mel Brooks:

Do you think Blazing Saddles would ever get made in politically correct 2016?

No!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mel-brooks-looks-back-blazing-saddles-could-never-get-made-today

Apparently there is one joke which never made it into the the movie:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mel-brooks-cut-just-one-joke-blazing-saddles-being-racy-1017404

Christ are these PC people able to actually laugh? They are constantly angry.

17 hours ago, Anna66 said:

My point was, that you cannot change people no matter what you do from being nasty arseholes into nice people. It just doesn't work. You cannot change people if they are like that.

Same with the pictures on the cigarettes, I just used it as an example. If someone really loves smoking, it doesn't matter what you do to shock them, they will continue to do it.

We all have a free will, and we all choose what we do. Sure there is the herd mentality, and a good role model doing the right thing does help, but at the end of the day you cannot change bad people's behaviour. Just like you cannot make a rotten apple turn fresh again.

Sure, you generally cannot change an individual, like you say, an arsehole is an arsehole. And I also continue to smoke despite the pictures on the packet. But that's not the point. You said so yourself. There is herd mentality, role modelling and general societal culture.

Back in the day everyone used to think it was OK to punish people with torture for steeling a loaf of bread. Now it's not. Not that long ago homosexuality was a big fat no no. Now finally those times are slowly disappearing. Only some years ago people used to smoke on planes, in offices, in restaurants. Remember how disgusting that was? Society changes.

This "advert" just falls into that (wrapped in all it's cynical glory). Just like the smoking pictures. It's just part of societal change.

2 hours ago, balticus said:

Bless your heart.   

So that's "No, I don't have any examples and know I'm wrong." Thanks for being the rented mule of the day. 

This has long been my solution for men who cannot behave appropriately in online spaces. Gillette is asking you nicely to be better than internet perverts and playground bullies. Women will start coming for you where you live if you don't want to do that, men. #OutThem 

But isnt "Outing them" a form of Bullying??

When I "out" J² for telling lies or untruths... I get accused of Bullying him... 

You've chosen to ignore content by SpiderPig. Options 

Here's one of my fave speeches by former Navy Seal William McRaven. 

Full speech:

In the full speech he describes accurately Seal Training. It is awe inspiring. 

Just listening to it again, I remember snorkelling the Red Sea when a shark hovered underneath us. Sharp exit!

4 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

I remember snorkelling the Red Sea when a shark hovered underneath us. Sharp exit!

It would have soon spit you out!   :lol:

46 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

But isnt "Outing them" a form of Bullying??

When I "out" J² for telling lies or untruths... I get accused of Bullying him... 

If you watch her video and agree with her logic, outing such people is the kind thing to do because it brings more truth into their lives. Jeremy might benefit from some truth in his life. Maybe someone should help him out and tell his wife what he's up to. 

You've chosen to ignore content by SpiderPig. Options 

This is for Camlough who accused me of following conspiracy theories. It is a speech given by JF Kennedy in 1961 at the Waldorf Astoria:

There is a movement to avenge his death and bring those responsible to justice. 

6 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

If you watch her video and agree with her logic, outing such people is the kind thing to do because it brings more truth into their lives. Jeremy might benefit from some truth in his life. Maybe someone should help him out and tell his wife what he's up to. 

Absolutely. I am ashamed to admit I spent this morning yes listening to that inspiring JFK speech on my headphones whilst washing a ton if evil dishes. This is the perverted activity I undertook yesterday:

Now I am off to walk my dog in as kinky a manner as possible. I ought to wear some kinky boots:

(Was looking for the original 60s song but failed!)

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

This has long been my solution for men who cannot behave appropriately in online spaces. Gillette is asking you nicely to be better than internet perverts and playground bullies. Women will start coming for you where you live if you don't want to do that, men. #OutThem 

That is greatness.

Out the bullies!

Out the perverts!

Out the trolls!