The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

308 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, AlexTr said:

@Anna66 Since there are examples of men doing the right thing in the ad, I don't really understand how you could be left thinking it was an "all men" ad without willfully ignoring those parts. The ad is literally saying "be like these guys and do the right thing."

Oh I do agree. You misunderstand.

My point was, that you cannot change people no matter what you do from being nasty arseholes into nice people. It just doesn't work. You cannot change people if they are like that.

Same with the pictures on the cigarettes, I just used it as an example. If someone really loves smoking, it doesn't matter what you do to shock them, they will continue to do it.

We all have a free will, and we all choose what we do. Sure there is the herd mentality, and a good role model doing the right thing does help, but at the end of the day you cannot change bad people's behaviour. Just like you cannot make a rotten apple turn fresh again.

I agree wholly that this boys will be boys etc is wrong. People should not do it, say it etc... People should think before they speak, but they don't...

Yes, people should protect those weaker than them and stand up to the bullies, but whether they actually do it or not is another thing.

Also as others have mentioned on the thread, it is not just males, females can be just as bad too. Maybe Gilette should integrate the same idea into their next Venus advert?

Gillette marketing selection meeting:

Favoured: "Add another blade to the razor head, double the weight of the handle. Animate with magnetic levitation and have a girl kiss his cheek."

Rejected: "Make a video clip about decent behaviour"

"Unfortunately, with another blade, it won't be possible to shave the chin without simultaneously removing an eyebrow."

"Shit. Now what?"

The funniest thing to me is that despite all this showboating, gillette dont get a crap about women or equality.  They are one of the big offenders with their "pink tax" on, well litterally on pink razors.

30 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

The funniest thing to me is that despite all this showboating, gillette dont get a crap about women or equality.  They are one of the big offenders with their "pink tax" on, well litterally on pink razors.

They don't add to the profit line. If however an influential group said for example they're boycotting Gillette because of their pink tax and going to be buying Wilkinson Sword, they will do something about it ASAP

24 minutes ago, French bean said:

They don't add to the profit line. If however an influential group said for example they're boycotting Gillette because of their pink tax and going to be buying Wilkinson Sword, they will do something about it ASAP

My point is that they charge women 44% more for the same item but coloured pink, then point at men and accuse them of being sexist.

Hello, Pot, yes?  There is a kettle screaming something at you.

I just watched an advertisement from a company that makes shaving products.  I've decided to change my entire life and outlook.  I've decided to be more in touch with my feminine, sensitive side.  Seriously?  WT-absolute-fook!  Life advice from a company that makes shave gel?  I don't fookin think so.  I'd prefer being directed by a true expert:  A deo company.

I am a man, masculine and proud.  I've been called an arsehole at work.  A title I wore proudly.  I've never been called one by any woman in me personal life. 

To call masculinity toxic is utter shite!  Yes there are arsholes in this world who abuse women.  There always will be.  it's a fact.  As there are arshole women.  Another fact. 

After watching this ridiculous advertisement, I see it for what it actually is.  Gillette is in the limelight.  Well played.  They used a current pop-theme to their advantage.  People are talking Gillette now, which is what they actually wanted.  They probably give less than a fook about what this campaign is about.  They want their name mentioned.

I use an electric Braun razor to shave where my beard isn't.  Beard:  A sign of masculinity and is non-toxic. 

21 minutes ago, BayrischDude said:

I just watched an advertisement from a company that makes shaving products.  I've decided to change my entire life and outlook.  I've decided to be more in touch with my feminine, sensitive side.  Seriously?  WT-absolute-fook!  Life advice from a company that makes shave gel?  I don't fookin think so.  I'd prefer being directed by a true expert:  A deo company.

Well you might not be amused when Gillette's Venus brand releases its "don't be slutty" ad.  

Some people don't have a sense of humor.  

5c40c5f2d6025_Gilletteadtoxicmasculinity

Lifted from Comic Strip of the Day, found on dailycartoonist.com.

4 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Gillitte Mach3. Is that the best you've got? 

You miss the 'cut throat'.

Got Mach 5 too.

3 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

And if you are doing it correctly, there's a badger missing a few tail feathers!! 

That IS correct.

They all have to die sometime...