The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

1,068 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

I am not implying that lift wingers want late term abortions, however when I am told " MY BODY - MY UTERUS - MY CHOICE " there was no exception made for late term abortions or anything else.  This is the attitude on the left that I am also against.  

I know that most current laws prevent late term abortions and I agree with the "up to the first trimester" rule. 

We are vehemently in agreement.

Well, of course you are wrong:

It is not arbitrary, in my opinion, but scientifically based.  We consider someone dead when all brain activity has ceased, so why would we not consider someone alive until brain activity begins?  

And brain activity in the foetus begins exactly three months after conception?

5 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Obviously (to me) it should not be allowed to abort when the baby is near full term and both mother and child are perfectly healthy and the mother just decides she doesn't want it.

You can sleep easy, because that is another of those right-wing boogeymen. Not saying you can't find cases where a healthy viable baby was terminated because "woops I changed my mind lol", but it is extremely rare. Late-term terminations are overwhelmingly cases where it has been discovered only late that something is very wrong with the baby. Blanket bans based on X number of months don't really solve anything. 

4 hours ago, alderhill said:

Not saying you can't find cases where a healthy viable baby was terminated because "woops I changed my mind lol", but it is extremely rare.

It shouldn't be allowed full-stop and if it is (I genuinely don't know if there are jurisdictions where this is allowed), it should make any decent person puke.

I don't know how coined the phrase but it looks like 2020 is the year that woke culture dies. It took a few very brave celebrities to speak up (and oddly enough support from Netflix) but the dam is starting to break. Notice this on twitter

Prospective leadership candidate, Erin O’Toole, has posted a video to his social media, lamenting the censoring of Canadian greats from our history books, and attacking cancel culture

Also Steven King has now joined JK Rowling in standing up the to hate brigade.

A miracle is happening. 2020 might go down as the year that woke culture died. Numerous celebrities emerged in the final inning of 2019 to fly the flag of common sense. Ricky Gervais, Dave Chappelle, Louis CK, Sarah Silverman, and JK Rowling found support among the masses, and now we can add the great novelist Stephen King to that list.

Explaining his Oscar-nomination votes, King tweeted: “As a writer, I am allowed to nominate in just 3 categories: Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Screenplay. For me, the diversity issue—as it applies to individual actors and directors, anyway—did not come up. That said, I would never consider diversity in matters of art. Only quality. It seems to me that to do otherwise would be wrong.”

Perhaps god willing one day your average Joe will be to say, publicly, that sex is binary and not have to worry about visited by the police or getting fired. 

@Rushrush: Unfortunately, woke culture won't die out anytime soon. My employer, like so many others, is fucking obsessed with "diversity" and other such nonsense. And because I'm afraid of either losing my job or being ostracised by my colleagues (most of whom seem on board with it), I have to put with it.

12 hours ago, alderhill said:

You can sleep easy, because that is another of those right-wing boogeymen. 

Unfortunately, it isn't so. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/abortion-extremism-in-new-york-and-virginia-paved-the-way-for-alabama-and-georgias-laws/2019/05/17/ffad643a-78f0-11e9-bd25-c989555e7766_story.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47066307

As mentioned above, most people tolerate abortions in the first trimester.  

The language used in Virginia was political dynamite.  

7 hours ago, BMurphy said:

@Rushrush: Unfortunately, woke culture won't die out anytime soon. 

It will boomerang in the other direction.  

The excesses of wokeness will be used to justify repression. 

Like watching a train wreck in slow motion. 

@balicus: Repression? How do you mean? Most opponents of "wokeness" don't want to repress anyone; we just want an end to the stifling climate of political correctness.

3 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

@balicus: Repression? How do you mean? 

anti-LGBTXYZ, traditional values, nativism, etc.

The reaction will overshoot its target rather than simply curbing the excesses IMHO.

27 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

@balicus: Repression? How do you mean? Most opponents of "wokeness" don't want to repress anyone; we just want an end to the stifling climate of political correctness.

Exactly how does it "stifle" you currently?  You can't tell dirty jokes in board meetings?

@BradinBayern He would prefer that the social norm reverts to no one noticing and commenting on his lack of respect and compassion for other people. It is very difficult for such folks to control their mouths and not speak out loud their baser thoughts about other people.

11 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Perhaps god willing one day your average Joe will be to say, publicly, that sex is binary and not have to worry about visited by the police or getting fired. 

You want government to control who a private company can fire and for what reason? Maybe you want to think about that.

18 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

You want government to control who a private company can fire and for what reason? Maybe you want to think about that.

Are you happy for companies to fire people because of their views ?

9 hours ago, BMurphy said:

@Rushrush: Unfortunately, woke culture won't die out anytime soon. My employer, like so many others, is fucking obsessed with "diversity" and other such nonsense. And because I'm afraid of either losing my job or being ostracised by my colleagues (most of whom seem on board with it), I have to put with it.

Do your colleagues also have to put up with your views ?

57 minutes ago, balticus said:

anti-LGBTXYZ, traditional values, nativism, etc.

The reaction will overshoot its target rather than simply curbing the excesses IMHO.

Yep it goes back once again to extremism from whichever side winning out.

1 side is on top their word is law and vice versa.

The word Nazi is bandied about nowadays to describe many right wingers like in the old days the word Commie was used a lot for the reverse.

Just because someone doesn`t agree with your viewpoint it does not make them an extremist.

Just now, Keleth said:

Are you happy for companies to fire people because of their views ?

Here's the thing about views: one can control when, where, and how they are expressed. This is in stark contrast to being black, disabled, brown, LGBTQ, or trans...all of which are inherent traits.

So, since I have held jobs where I could be terminated for making statements that put the company in a poor light , so do other people. I had a choice NOT to take those jobs.

Do you think black people have a choice NOT to be black? That's a rhetorical question. I know you don't.

So, the people with the choice run the risk by exercising the choice. Does that clarify my point?

8 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Just because someone doesn`t agree with your viewpoint it does not make them an extremist.

On the other hand, people are criticized for calling people racist, when in fact they are racist.  Or Nazis when they are in fact Nazis.  And they would be proud to tell you that if you asked them in private.  The AfD, for example, has members who self identify as Nazis. Is it wrong to say that?

14 hours ago, BMurphy said:

It shouldn't be allowed full-stop and if it is (I genuinely don't know if there are jurisdictions where this is allowed), it should make any decent person puke.

Are you also in favour of banning placing babies in bear pits in central town squares? You might as well get your knickers in a twist about that, too. It's non-existent.

Late-term terminations are already all but banned everywhere. It is really only ever when the baby will die upon birth, or be so severely handicapped/helpless/in pain, etc. that they will probably die young and in pain anyhow. These are based on doctors assessments. 

5 hours ago, balticus said:

Unfortunately, it isn't so. 

WaPo is behind a paywall, but the BBC link doesn't refute anything I said. The Virginia bill seems to have been an attempt to make medically necessary terminations less onerous on the mothers and the system. "Mental risk" is a bit of a vague catchall, but there's nothing there that says "lol, I changed my mind" abortions would be permitted.

@balticus: "anti-LGBTXYZ, traditional values, nativism, etc.

The reaction will overshoot its target rather than simply curbing the excesses IMHO."

I wish people would stop referring to gay people using those stupid bloody acronyms. I'm gay myself and find it ridiculous. 

And I don't see anything inherently wrong with a little bit of "traditional values" or "nativism". The ironic thing is, many people from ethnic minorities are themselves very traditional and nativist, yet in Western countries only the indigenous people are shunned for holding such views.