The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

1,098 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

His name was cast in to the cover... Hence the term being created " going to the crapper"... 

Its even weirder than that.  He did indeed invent a particular type of flushing toilet and it is true that his name is associated with toilets through him.  But by an odd quirk of history it turns our crap as slang predates him, and it is just a happy coincidence that a man whos name colloquially means shit ended up inventing toilet tech.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/crap

11 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Sure I respect your judgement as a parent, but I also respect the right of trans people to use the bathroom that is appropriate to them.  It is you who wants to tell someone else what they can and cannot do, not I. 

I respect the right of Trans people to use the bathroom.  

The messy part is defining who is Trans and what that means.   Is there some sort of a Trans certificate?    What is the difference between a guy who puts on a dress who is not Trans and a Trans?    

11 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

If you make a statement that allowing trans people to use the bathroom is dangerous, then you have to back it up with facts. You cannot just make shit up because trans people make you feel "icky". 

Feeling "icky" is your intuition telling you that something is not right.    If you have a female subordinate who tells you that she does not feel comfortable working late in the office alone with a certain male colleague, you might want to listen and do some rearranging.    

If parents are uncomfortable, you might want to listen to their concerns rather than dismissing them with a study you found on the internet.  

Feeling uncomfortable or sensing danger reduces risk.   

You might be uncomfortable with a dog that is on the playground or a group of kids who have funny body language.   No crimes may have been committed, but your discomfort and heightened awareness help prevent problems from developing. 

Do you actually have a child?   This is basic stuff that any parent experiences.  

1 hour ago, balticus said:

I respect the right of Trans people to use the bathroom.  

The messy part is defining who is Trans and what that means.   Is there some sort of a Trans certificate?    What is the difference between a guy who puts on a dress who is not Trans and a Trans?    

What does it matter?  There is also no significant evidence that straight men are putting on dresses and attacking women in public bathrooms either.  This is a fantasy dreamed up by conservatives to frighten weak minds.  

No, actually "icky" is conditioning.  I know.  I was raised in a racist, homophobic environment and it took me quite some time to feel comfortable around black and/or homosexual people.  Your "intuition" is not always right.  However, you are free to stay out of public bathrooms if they make you uncomfortable because there might be a trans person in there No one is stopping you from that (however you probably have already been in a bathroom with someone and never knew. I would bet 9 times out of 10 you couldn't identify whether someone was born a biological woman or man or not).  No one is stopping you from not using a playground if you are uncomfortable.  Your discomfort and "intuition" is irrelevant.  I am also uncomfortable being naked in a sauna or on a FKK beach.  So I don't go in the sauna or FKK beach.  I don't try to pass laws forcing people to wear bathing suits.

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Do you actually have a child? 

Asked and answered. 

It's funny how SA618 - who apparently has completed his transformation not only from an American male to an Estonian female, but also into the mother of at least one teenage child - is most "concerned" about who uses which bathroom.

I wonder if he calls on his imaginary child for advice whenever he feels the call of nature or if the other voices in his head overpower them.

7 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

It's funny how SA618 - who apparently has completed his transformation not only from an American male to an Estonian female,

Brilliant Jeff! He is one of your "victims"! You ought to love him and respect his rights!

On 1/8/2020, 11:34:15, BradinBayern said:

Please, do tell, how have you been "emasculated".  

Wait, I need to go get some popcorn...

Well when I was living in Germany feminists insisted that their men sit while taking a leak.  The men attempted to wimpishly fight back but to no avail.  It was quite funny actually.  :lol:

9 minutes ago, J0ker said:

Well when I was living in Germany feminists insisted that their men sit while taking a leak.  The men attempted to wimpishly fight back but to no avail.  It was quite funny actually.  :lol:

This is something I never understood. As long as the urine goes into the bowl where is the problem? Who cares and who has the right to decide how someone takes a piss? The only logical explanation was the "shit" tray they used to have in the old German toilets, which in effect made the urine rebound out of the toilet. Deflected it! With the modern new toilets this is no longer an issue.

No idea if I posted this before, but this song always makes me laugh.

Oh and this advert

23 hours ago, Anna66 said:

I don't want to be a killjoy, but this thread is supposed to be about toxic masculinity.

Done.

An older article but Gillette's brilliant idea of lecturing their customers seems have to backfired.

Gillette ‘Shifting The Spotlight’ After Losing $8 Billion Amid ‘Toxic Masculinity’ Backlash

Just a few weeks after Procter & Gamble reported a sobering $8 billion writedown, Gillette has officially called off its war on “toxic masculinity.” The embattled brand has announced that it is now “shifting the spotlight from social issues to local heroes.”

While the brand is admitting that it’s reversing course on the social issues messaging, Gillette is presenting its new focus as simply a return to what it’s always done. “We will continue to represent men at their best,” Gillette said in a statement reported by News Corp Australia. Instead of the “social issues” focus, the brand will begin to highlight positive portrayals of “heroic” masculinity, as seen in its new ad starring Ben Ziekenheiner, an Australian firefighter and personal trainer.

Gillette’s “toxic masculinity” mess began in January when the brand released an ad accusing men of “excusing bad behavior” and portraying traditional masculinity in an entirely negative and stereotypical light.

“‘Boys will be boys’? Isn’t it time we stopped excusing bad behavior? Re-think and take action by joining us at http://TheBestMenCanBe.org,” the brand tweeted in mid-January. The ad features men engaged in all kinds of bad behavior, including bullying, catcalling and groping women, and violence — while a line of men behind grills declare the dismissive mantra “Boys will be boys” in one obstinate voice.

The ad presents the #MeToo movement as the moment when the alleged “toxic masculinity” culture “finally changed.” “There will be no going back because we — we believe in the best in men,” the narrator states. “To say the right thing, to act the right way. Some already are — in ways big and small. But some is not enough because the boys watching today will become the men of tomorrow.”

The backlash to the scolding and sexist ad was swift and strong, with many Gillette users taking to social media to announce they were done with the brand. For the next few months, Gillette responded by doubling down on the social justice messaging, releasing a “fat acceptance” ad as well as an ad showing a father’s first time teaching his female-to-male transgender child how to shave.

But as The Daily Wire reported, seven months after rolling out its “toxic” campaign, Gillette’s parent company Procter & Gamble found itself taking an $8 billion writedown for the brand. Despite positive performance overall for Procter & Gamble Co., who enjoyed better than expected profits last quarter, the company ended up reporting a net loss of over $5 billion. The reason: Gillette’s nosedive.

“Procter & Gamble Co’s (PG.N) quarterly revenue and adjusted profit beat Wall Street expectations on Tuesday, sending shares to a record-high even as the world’s No.1 personal goods company took an $8 billion charge on its Gillette shaving business,” Reuters reported in late July. Procter & Gamble “reported a net loss of about $5.24 billion, or $2.12 per share, for the quarter ended June 30, due to an $8 billion non-cash writedown of Gillette,” the news agency explained.

Gillette has given a number of explanations for its heavy losses, including currency fluctuations and “more competition over the past three years and a shrinking market for blades and razors as consumers in developed markets shave less frequently.” The razor industry, Reuters noted, has declined by 11% over the last 5 years. But critics say Gillette is leaving out a key factor: alienating a large percentage of its potential consumer base.

And there is not only Toxic Masculinity, but also Toxic femininity.

Why do so many women get breast implants? Anorexia etc etc...

This video is very interesting and discusses the topic of "Toxic femininity and Toxic masculinity"

It is really good and shows how they in a sense reinforce each other. Well worth watching.

These gender stereotypes are just ridiculous. They are bad for everyone.

1 minute ago, Anna66 said:

This is something I never understood. As long as the urine goes into the bowl where is the problem? Who cares and who has the right to decide how someone takes a piss? The only logical explanation was the "shit" tray they used to have in the old German toilets, which in effect made the urine rebound out of the toilet. Deflected it! With the modern new toilets this is no longer an issue

For men standing while peeing is more natural.  We generally want to get it over with and get back to what we were doing ASAP.  No hate to Sitzpinkler but one can argue that if you follow somebody to the toilet to make sure that he pees correctly it can border with sexual harassment.

Funny how our resident (and periodic) RWers can't seem to make their point without quoting questionable sources, ain't it? Probably something about the Deep State and mainstream liberal MSM media, I guess.

dailywire_bias.JPG.9f4bbc5a82d33b10e0867

Yeah, P&G stated multiple reasons for the write-off, including changing consumer habits and currency effects, but Ben Shapiro is just going to pull something out of his ass and assume it's because of one ad campaign. And our alt-members will gleefully spread Ben's cheeks, er, "news".

10 minutes ago, J0ker said:

For men standing while peeing is more natural.  We generally want to get it over with and get back to what we were doing ASAP.  No hate to Sitzpinkler but one can argue that if you follow somebody to the toilet to make sure that he pees correctly it can border with sexual harassment.

I agree, it is just weird. Never heard about it until I moved to Germany and heard people discussing it, which I also thought was weird....:wacko:

24 minutes ago, J0ker said:

An older article but Gillette's brilliant idea of lecturing their customers seems have to backfired.

Worked with me. It made me want to learn to barbecue....

14 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

And our alt-members will gleefully spread Ben's cheeks, er, "news".

Oh dear...

29 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Funny how our resident (and periodic) RWers can't seem to make their point without quoting questionable sources, ain't it? Probably something about the Deep State and mainstream liberal MSM media, I guess.

dailywire_bias.JPG.9f4bbc5a82d33b10e0867

Yeah, P&G stated multiple reasons for the write-off, including changing consumer habits and currency effects, but Ben Shapiro is just going to pull something out of his ass and assume it's because of one ad campaign. And our alt-members will gleefully spread Ben's cheeks, er, "news".

hahaahahah did you just use MediaFactBiasCheck?  You do realize that they consider the Root, which gives a platform to black supremacists, as being more factual than the Wall Street Journal?

Go ahead and get angry again. :lol:

The Root - "High" Factual Reporting

theroot.png.f5bff7151f8ae9ada130be1addc9

Wall Street Journal - "Mostly" Factual Reporting

wsj.png.62aebc698fbf4f6146e3d2bd831795a4

8 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Worked with me. It made me want to learn to barbecue...

Oh dear...

Don't bother with Jeffo.  He thinks some third rate online tabloid, that publishes rants against whitey, is more factual than the WSJ.

43 minutes ago, J0ker said:

if you follow somebody to the toilet to make sure that he pees correctly it can border with sexual harassment.

No need to follow. The evidence is all over the toilet/floor.

Here's another article.

Well at least they've admitted that catering to people who don't pay your bills is not the best business move.

We will continue to represent men at their best’: Gillette’s backflip after ‘toxic masculinity’ backlash

Razor brand Gillette says it is “shifting the spotlight from social issues to local heroes” after an ad delving into “toxic masculinity” caused a customer backlash.

The new ad, which launched last week, stars Australian firefighter and personal trainer Ben Ziekenheiner. “I’ve been a firefighter for 19 years,” Mr Ziekenheiner says in the ad.

“People sometimes ask if it’s scary. It can be, but like anyone who has a job to do, you prepare — not just in terms of your equipment but also mentally and physically.”

The ad spruiks the brand’s SkinGuard range, highlighting the issue of sensitive skin for men who shave every day — including firefighters, who are required to be clean-shaven as it enables a proper seal for their breathing mask.

“We have a very clear strategy when it comes to how we authentically connect with our consumers,” said Manu Airan, associate brand director for Gillette Australia and New Zealand.

“We will continue to talk about what is important to Gillette and that is representing men at their best and helping men do their best. That is not changing. We will continue to do that and demonstrate it in different ways.”

Parent company P&G last month took a nearly $12 billion ($US8 billion) writedown in the value of the 118-year-old shaving business it purchased in 2005 for $84 billion ($US57 billion).

While the company blamed the writedown primarily on a strengthening US dollar, it said the non-cash impairment charge was also due to increased competition and a shrinking market for razors as men shave less frequently.

Mr Airan said while shaving frequency had been reducing, “for us it’s an opportunity”. “Despite shaving frequency decreasing our sales have increased (thanks to) the innovation we are bringing to consumers’ unmet needs,” he said.

Conservative critics were quick to connect the writedown to the brand’s recent push into progressive social issues, which rival Schick has pointedly mocked with a series of lighthearted ads taglined “The Man I Am”.

Advertising is increasingly the battleground of the culture wars, with big brands like Target, Nike and Starbucks copping backlash, and praise, for taking sides in divisive social and political issues like race, gender and sexuality.

But by alienating roughly 50 per cent of potential customers, many brands end up taking a hit to their bottom line — “Get woke, go broke.”

In January, Gillette sparked an online firestorm and boycott threats with an ad about the #MeToo movement challenging men to “shave their toxic masculinity”. The ad, which depicted various scenes of men bullying and catcalling women, asked, “Is this the best a man can get? Is it?”

The “We Believe” ad was labelled by some in the media as an “attack on men”, but others praised the brand for starting a “conversation”. In May, Gillette followed up with an ad featuring a father teaching his transgender son how to shave for the first time.

While the “First Shave” ad was generally well received, it was widely seen as Gillette doubling down on its push into social issues. In response to one Facebook comment, the company said, “We believe brands play a role in influencing culture and have a responsibility to use their voice for good.”

Pressed on whether Gillette would continue to talk about divisive issues like toxic masculinity, Mr Airan repeated, “We will continue to represent men at their best. This is our purpose and has been our purpose consistently for 118 years and that is not changing.”

39 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

No need to follow. The evidence is all over the toilet/floor.

I had to clean toilets to put myself through college, so I was made to suffer.  Most men seems to have a "general direction" philosophy and no matter how well you aim, there is going to be splashback.  It has all to do with physics and velocity and angle of attack  https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/170502-how-to-pee-without-splashback-or-how-fluid-dynamics-might-save-your-marriage .Lifehack: add a piece of toilet paper and then pee on that and you are more less likely to have splashback. 

Or just sit down.  It is not like you are going to lose your manhood.

46 minutes ago, J0ker said:

Here's another article.

Well at least they've admitted that catering to people who don't pay your bills is not the best business move.

We will continue to represent men at their best’: Gillette’s backflip after ‘toxic masculinity’ backlash

It helps to read your own links:

Net sales in the grooming business, which includes Gillette, have declined in 11 out of the last 12 quarters.

In the past 5 years, the U.S. men’s market for shaving products has shrunk by over 11%, the data firm said.

The downturn is nothing new.