The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

300 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, camlough said:

Please get professional help today. Nobody is out to get you, only yourself and you're your own very worst enemy.

I consider that a very nasty post. Considering I do not subscribe to the "hive" mind and don't think like everyone else, does that make me mad? I am called a "conspiracy theorist" (a term coined by the CIA after JFK's death for those unaware). All I am is a truth seeker, and the stuff I have discovered in real life btw (I have probably travelled a lot more than most keyboard warriors on TT) 

Here's one. if I am a "conspiracy theorist" how come I think the idea that Trump was influenced by Russia and that I believe him innocent, is a pile of horseshit? That I believe 911 was not carried out by a bunch of Saudis with a box cutter. That JFK and Reagan were shot attempting to take on a corrupt elite?

I assure you i am perfectly sane and don't need to consult a psychiatrist.

5 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

I think she thought you meant a different kind of "business", AlexTr.

You cannot be serious! Well, that does give some insight into her measurement of normal, adult behavior.

22 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

if I am a "conspiracy theorist" how come I think the idea that Trump was influenced by Russia and that I believe him innocent, is a pile of horseshit? That I believe 911 was not carried out by a bunch of Saudis with a box cutter. That JFK and Reagan were shot attempting to take on a corrupt elite?

You can consider it to be anything you like, Jeremy, but I can't say I care about that.

You've set yourself up for a life full of loneliness, bitterness and increasing paranoia. Sooner or later it will catch up with you, I truly hope you will be able to turn it around before it's too late. Is your life really that empty?

And I genuinely feel achingly sorry for your children, your wife and yourself.

I'm out.

People with low self-esteem are especially susceptible to conspiracy theories.

The desire to maintain a positive self-image. Research shows that people who feel socially marginalized are more likely to believe in conspiracy theories. We all have a desire to maintain a positive self-image, which usually comes from the roles we play in life—our jobs and our relationships with family and friends. When we know we make a positive difference in the lives of others—as parent, spouse, friend, teacher or mentor—we see our own lives as worthwhile, and we feel good about ourselves.

But say Uncle Joe is on disability and hasn’t worked in years. He feels socially excluded. However, he does have plenty of time to surf the internet for information about conspiracy theories, and he can chat online with others who hold similar beliefs. Thus, belief in conspiracy theories gives Uncle Joe a sense of community.

Furthermore, his research into conspiracy theories has given him a sense that he is the holder of privileged knowledge. Most people who believe global warming is real or that vaccines are safe don’t do so because they understand the science. Rather, they trust the experts. And so, when Uncle Joe starts trotting out all the “evidence” against global warming, it can be difficult to make a reasonable counterargument. All you’ve got is the feeling that the conspiracy theory seems too complicated to be true, but from Uncle Joe’s perspective, it’s clear he knows more about the subject than you do.

(source)

The background behind j²'s batshittiest theories, for those wanting to keep track.

16 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

I think she thought you meant a different kind of "business", AlexTr.

what the heck are you talking about?

I responded to the "ignorance is bliss" comment, as quoted, BEFORE she edited and directed that to fraufruit, which filled in a helpful context as you know, posts don't always line up so neatly

un fucking real the shitpots that develop on this site.

y'all have "fun" now, ya hear?

12 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

what the heck are you talking about?

I responded to the "ignorance is bliss" comment, as quoted, BEFORE she edited and directed that to fraufruit, which filled in a helpful context as you know, posts don't always line up so neatly

un fucking real the shitpots that develop on this site.

y'all have "fun" now, ya hear?

My mistake. I was just going by the flow of the thread. No offense intended.

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

However, as for bullying with kids or even with adults, that's not just a male problem.  Girls and women are just as bad.

However true that may be, Gillette is a brand for men only. Their adverts have always been exclusively aimed at men. Same goes for this one.

1 hour ago, camlough said:

You can consider it to be anything you like, Jeremy, but I can't say I care about that.

You've set yourself up for a life full of loneliness, bitterness and increasing paranoia. Sooner or later it will catch up with you, I truly hope you will be able to turn it around before it's too late. Is your life really that empty?

And I genuinely feel achingly sorry for your children, your wife and yourself.

1 hour ago, camlough said:

If you don't care, then that says more about you than it does about me. You don't know me in person, don't know anything about my offline life which I assure you is extremely full and healthy,. Loneliness? Bitterness? Jesus I have none of that. I'm always cordial to everyone on the forum and spend much of my time gently taking the piss out of people, never being nasty.  And you do not feel sorry for my family. You have zero empathy. I suggest you work on those features yourself.

38 minutes ago, theGman said:

However true that may be, Gillette is a brand for men only. 

Bollocks. Their female line is called 'Venus'.

Regarding the advert in general, all things considered, I think its pretty cynical to attach a marketing campaign to the "#me too" movement, but I can't see any real problems with the central message of the advert.

Which is that as men, some of us behave like jerks, some don't, and if more of the guys in the "Don't" camp spoke up against the jerks the world would be a slightly nicer place.

It's not very nuanced, but that way it will get more people talking about it. It's a marketing campaign.

The campaign has to be considered excellent, I've seen it discussed in practically every news site I read, plus here, plus on several other social media feeds.

A bigger deal IMO is the fact that P&G have signed up to "Free the bid". They are the worlds biggest advertiser and they aim to have 50% of their adds produced by women by 2023.

14 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Bollocks. Their female line is called 'Venus'.

OK if you wanna nitpick, the Gillette company caters for both sexes. But Gillette ("A best a man can get") is branded for men and Venus is branded for women. This advert is for the former brand.

14 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Regarding the advert in general, all things considered, I think its pretty cynical to attach a marketing campaign to the "#me too" movement, but I can't see any real problems with the central message of the advert.

On this I agree completely.

Image result for here's johnny shining

40 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Indeed they would Jonny:

https://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/can-potatoes-help-treat-your-depression

A huge number of degenerative diseases today are a result of inflammation, caused by a carb heavy diet. Eating such shit overloads the pancreas, leading to "sugar high" then a rapid crash. Here is one of the bestsellers:

https://www.amazon.com/Potatoes-Not-Prozac-Solutions-Sensitivity/dp/141655615X

and an article:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/439936-potatoes-not-prozac-diet/

So there.

Oh fuck why did I post this, I've just iced a Christmas cake...

I loved this quote from a guardian article about it all yesterday:-

If “real men”, according to the men’s rights movement, are tough and commanding, why are the exponents of this doctrine so easily discomposed? Why does the slightest challenge to the norms they proclaim – by a razor ad or an academic body they had probably never encountered before – trigger this frenzied testeria?

3 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

The ad tl;dr:

Gillette: "Don't be a dick."

Dicks: *throw dick tantrums*

I see it more like:

Gillette: "Men are all/mostly dicks, the world suddenly became a bad place and all women are helpless victims which need other men to protect them".

I tell you what will happen if this #meetoo things continues to be out of hand: the sexual revolution of the 60´s will die. Men will be afraid to approach women. And dildo sales will go off the roof.