The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

308 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, AlexTr said:

It just sucks when science doesn't make you feel good about being a jerk, doesn't it? Get back in the kitchen, indeed.

It is social science. As one who studied social sciences, I can attest it is all horseshit.

2 hours ago, Svetlana.Petro said:

I also find it interesting that some take the APA guidelines without a grain of salt considering their past blunders. Also is psychology a hard science like physics and chemistry? I think not.

The Holy Grail of pseudopsychology is the DSM-V which has been proven to be a made up load of hogwash, run by Big Pharma. They invent syndromes for which coincidentally the have the pill for ten years later. Where do they test them? In the developing world. I refer the sceptic to John Le Carre's "The Constant Gardener" which although fiction, illustrates this perfectly.

1 hour ago, theGman said:

I just see a piece of media which is just trying to be part of the movement to make the world a better, more equal place.

Then you are a Marxist.

The truth is since Emmeline Pankhurst jumped in front of a horse in the 1900s for women's rights which of course are a good thing, the entire women's movement has been perverted by sinister interests. Here is a two minute clip. I have an entire PDF for anyone wanting to go there...

DxGU01bWsAAndrm.jpg

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

Yeah but Alex, can't you see how this ad is also trying to trigger a (kinder) form of machismo? A sort of "step up. be a hero. the world is counting on you. be a REAL man" flavor? 

Also the science here is a bit garbled. "toxic" masculinity is not causal in the way it's presented here, rather it's another symptom of socialization gone wrong. 

No, not really. I think it is saying that the definition of a good man has changed.

35 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

it makes it look like all men are trash

Really? So you just glossed over the men in the ad who are doing the right thing?

1 hour ago, theGman said:

I just see a piece of media which is just trying to be part of the movement to make the world a better, more equal place.

I think what is happening is that only men who are truly ashamed of their own behavior are taking offense. Hit dog hollers and all that.

Its about time the advertising standards agencies cracked down on all the bullshit Advertising and the glamourising of almost everything on TV....

Lets face it.. The carpets etc in all Vaccuum Cleaner adverts are not dirty to start with...   

The Fancy "Ring" doorbell...   Fuck me.. you are lucky if you can get a delivery guy to press a normal door bell, let alone a "ring" door bell... then he waits for 15-30 seconds for you to answer blah blah blah...

"Hello Fresh"?  No frigging way... In Germany it will have wilted within 6 hrs and gone black or mouldy within 2 days!  

There is way too much false representation these days... 

25 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

I think it is saying that the definition of a good man has changed.

When did that happen?  Just now?

I don't see it.  ALL the men I knew as a child embodied these "good man" qualities.  They just did.  Of course I have also encountered "bad" men too, but the idea that this is a new concept is strange at best.

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

ALL the men I knew as a child embodied these "good man" qualities.  They just did.  Of course I have also encountered "bad" men

By necessity you see that your first statement is negated by your second, don't you?

oh that's a complete crock. 

the fact that there are bad men means the bad men model has been the running standard til now?

where the hell do you get that?

14 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

oh that's a complete crock. 

the fact that there are bad men means the bad men model has been the running standard til now?

where the hell do you get that?

No, now read the words that are there and not the ones you want to read. You said all the men you knew as a child were good men and that you knew bad men. This means that it is more than likely that the men you knew as a child were not ALL good men leading to the conclusion that this ad is absolutely spot on because it shows some men manifesting the qualities of what a good man should be. You just argued against your own point and I pointed it out. 

I have to add that the definition of a good man has absolutely changed. Earlier a good man was a man's man. Now a good man is a human being.

I just finally took the time to watch this ad and I thought it was kind of cute.  Men who are in a group, sometimes somebody will say something outrageous about women or gay ppl and it just takes one guy to speak up and say hey, wait a minute, to turn that conversation around.

However, as for bullying with kids or even with adults, that's not just a male problem.  Girls and women are just as bad.  Boys tend to get physical while girls more often use verbal abuse.  Men in a workplace don't tend to bully each other.  They may pick on each other a bit but they never leave their wounded.  The weakest member of the group, as long as he's not a total jerk or something will be carried by the others if needed.  Women are the reverse.  Women will pick on each other to the point of making the other cry.  Sometimes every day. To the point that the victim quits her job.  My brother is a manager in a pension fund where most of the staff are women and he is dealing with these problems a lot.  One female bully got a stern talking to a couple of times to the point that she quit in a huff because she was unhappy about not having the freedom to send her junior staff home crying every day.

2 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

No, now read the words that are there and not the ones you want to read. You said all the men you knew as a child were good men and that you knew bad men. This means that it is more than likely that the men you knew as a child were not ALL good men leading to the conclusion that this ad is absolutely spot on because it shows some men manifesting the qualities of what a good man should be. You just argued against your own point and I pointed it out. 

To me she was saying that all the men she knew as a child were good men while later on she also met some bad men.  However, as you say, we may not know all the faces of people around us.  A man can be good to some ppl and bad to others.

1 minute ago, LeonG said:

Girls and women are just as bad.

Ahh, the BSAB argument. We are talking about men right now. If you want to talk about women trashing other women, I will gladly participate in your thread when you open it.

No I did not.

You stated that this "good man" profile is somehow "new".  I disagree that it is new as there were a preponderance of good men (and there still are!) running around even 50 years ago.

The fact that I have encountered "bad" men since my childhood does not in any way suggest that the "good men" I knew as a child weren't really that good.  That is disingenuous at best.

You're really reaching Alex.  Come on.  

2 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

You're really reaching Alex.  Come on.  

Nope. My point stands.

3 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

They do say ignorance is bliss.

you are absolutely unbelievable.

ETA:  ewwwww

I've thought about this post for a bit now, but I felt compelled to say it.

Jeremy - please pick up the phone and make an appointment with a psychiatrist TODAY. As in NOW.

You've been in an ever faster moving downward spiral for at least 3 years now, and even though I dont read here much anymore, it's enough to come to my notice. You've got to stop this conspiracy hellhole you're in.

Your children deserve better than that. Your wife deserves better. But most of all, YOU deserve a better life than one filled with sadness, bitterness, crazy talk and conspiracy crap.

You don't cure depression by eating whatever. I don't know what's wrong with you exactly but I'd guess that it started out as a depression as you were clearly unhappy about having to stay at home which has since gotten worse, and coupled with your obsession of all things conspirational is now in danger of becoming a serious psychosis, if it hasn't already developed.

I've often felt the urge to say so but was reluctant for a) it's not my problem and b ) this is a public forum and I've no wish to embarrass you. But this Big Pharma talk pushed me over the edge, so to speak.

Please get professional help today. Nobody is out to get you, only yourself and you're your own very worst enemy.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

you are absolutely unbelievable.

ETA:  ewwwww

Why are you offended that I had to go earn my money? I fail to see how that makes any sense unless you are one of those anti-capitalism nutters.