The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

1,101 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, BMurphy said:

@Keleth: Yes but the difference in pay between men and women is down largely to the different lines of work chosen by men and women. If women actually opted more for technical professions (engineering, IT, etc.), they might be surprised how small the supposed "gender pay gap" would become. But most of them won't because they don't want to. 

On 12/22/2019, 9:38:10, BMurphy said:

Maybe you can explain how it is that women went from being literal human computers (they were actually called "computers") to being grossly underrepresented in the software and computer fields.  Why were they so interested less than 50 years ago only to "lose interest" rather recently?

I can't wait to hear your views on this. Really.

15 hours ago, BMurphy said:

@Keleth: Yes but the difference in pay between men and women is down largely to the different lines of work chosen by men and women. If women actually opted more for technical professions (engineering, IT, etc.), they might be surprised how small the supposed "gender pay gap" would become. But most of them won't because they don't want to. 

Which explains that if a woman sometimes does exactly the same job she is paid less? Which explains why the first programmer was female? -(Ada Lovelace)

What you said BMurphy... well....

It has been said before once on this thread, I will say (requote it once more.)

On 19.12.2019, 14:58:14, El Jeffo said:

5dfb81f29cb4d_5f7a7MA1.jpg.598f854c3ac00

Could not agree more!!!

16 hours ago, Keleth said:

Oh cool thanks for proving the gender pay gap doesn`t really exist

At least it´s not explained merely by gender discrimination. Or do you think a man wouldn´t have to take a hit if he chose to stay out of work for years (having missed career opportunities and in many industries have his skillset become somewhat obsolete)? That´s a price parents have to pay - and which is worth being paid.

7 minutes ago, jeba said:

At least it´s not explained merely by gender discrimination. Or do you think a man wouldn´t have to take a hit if he chose to stay out of work for years (having missed career opportunities and in many industries have his skillset become somewhat obsolete)? That´s a price parents have to pay - and which is worth being paid.

I`m sorry but I have absolutely no idea wtf you`re on about here or why it`s aimed at me.

12 hours ago, lisa13 said:

Maybe you can explain how it is that women went from being literal human computers (they were actually called "computers") to being grossly underrepresented in the software and computer fields. 

Just look at how many girls choose to study IT. My son does and he has only few female peers. Also take into consideration that on average women will have less work experience and will have missed more career opportunities because they choose to stay at home mom´s or look after sick paents etc. Also take into consideration that women on average may be negotiating less toughly for salaries and ask for raises less often because it´s not as important for their self-esteem as it is for the average man.

13 minutes ago, jeba said:

Just look at how many girls choose to study IT. My son does and he has only few female peers. Also take into consideration that on average women will have less work experience and will have missed more career opportunities because they choose to stay at home mom´s or look after sick paents etc. Also take into consideration that women on average may be negotiating less toughly for salaries and ask for raises less often because it´s not as important for their self-esteem as it is for the average man.

Really? How do you know that it is not as important for their self-esteem as it is for the average man?

You know what really makes me laugh? This thread the original topic was about toxic masculinity. The new Gilette Social awareness campaign.

Reading all these views and comments has just shown that equality is still far away and that sexism is still alive and well.

If there really still are these views, what chance is their for change? 2020 next year people. Our technology may have advanced but we humans still have one hell of a long way to go.

43 minutes ago, jeba said:

they choose to stay at home mom´s or look after sick paents etc.

Often times, women "choose" to look after sick parents because their brothers won't.

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Often times, women "choose" to look after sick parents because their brothers won't.

This happens alot. I know many cases sadly.

Most men I know put their sick parents in care homes when it gets to that stage if there is no daughter around.

Also men are more likely to leave their wives if they get sick rather than care for them. Sickness and in health?

The link below is really tragic to read. Women support their husbands, sadly husbands are not always likely to reciprocate.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/men-more-likely-to-leave-spouse-with-cancer/

Sad world.

I don't think a lot of women choose to do these things, they do it because that's what society expects of them and they would often suffer terrible guilt if they didn't do it. 

2 minutes ago, Tap said:

I don't think a lot of women choose to do these things, they do it because that's what society expects of them and they would often suffer terrible guilt if they didn't do it. 

This is the truth well spoken.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

Really? How do you know that it is not as important for their self-esteem as it is for the average man?

That´s just my guess, based on the women I´ve met in my life. I´m too lazy to google for psychological studies but it´s plausible to me. Without having googled for any studies either I think most would agree that there are differences between the mentalities of say Northern Europeans and mediterranean people or Asians or whatever group of people. Why should there not be similiar differences between men and women, given that without doubt testosterone does have an effect on behaviour (take the percentage of men among prison inmates as a proxy) and men simply suffer to a larger extent from testosterone-intoxication?

2 minutes ago, jeba said:

men simply suffer to a larger extent from testosterone-intoxication

Seriously?? You wanna talk about hormones??? You will lose.

22 minutes ago, jeba said:

That´s just my guess, based on the women I´ve met in my life. I´m too lazy to google for psychological studies but it´s plausible to me. Without having googled for any studies either I think most would agree that there are differences between the mentalities of say Northern Europeans and mediterranean people or Asians or whatever group of people. Why should there not be similiar differences between men and women, given that without doubt testosterone does have an effect on behaviour (take the percentage of men among prison inmates as a proxy) and men simply suffer to a larger extent from testosterone-intoxication?

Which is why we do have studies and why things are not based upon sweeping statements or people's opinions.

Do you mean cultural differences? It is also widely known when people move to different countries they do as you would in Rome in most cases. Those who try to impose their culture on the society they live in by segregating themselves tend not to fair well, as the next generation tends to adopt the culture they grow up in. They try to anyway, there are cases though where the parents try to force their culture upon their children- Arranged marriages for example, but that is off topic.

This shows me that the culture, and stereotypes depend largely on the place you grow up in. You are shaped by your environment so to speak.

Because of these gender stereotypes violence such as male on male rape is underreported due to shame. This has to stop. Our society needs to change. It is not good for anyone.

actually "testosterone intoxication" leads men to leap to impulsive, intuition driven and often erroneous solutions/answers and it also reduces willingness to reality check the result.  

we have a poster child right here!  

7 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Which is why we do have studies and why things are not based upon sweeping statements or people's opinions.

Things are based on how they are. Not on opinions or on how you want to see them. Are you saying the average female mindset is no different from the average male mindset?

22 minutes ago, jeba said:

Things are based on how they are. Not on opinions or on how you want to see them. Are you saying the average female mindset is no different from the average male mindset?

I think human beings regardless of gender all have a different mindset. Life is not that simple as to paste everyone into a certain way of thinking because of gender, race etc...

It is a facade that people think a certain way because of their gender, race etc...

Fact is we all have a side to ourselves that we choose to remain hidden. Most of the time we only show a part of ourselves to other people, like an actor/actress on a stage. Our behaviour is also controlled by societal norms.

I behave and dress completly different in Europe then I would if I visted Saudi Arabia. Would that change my views, opinions or how I think? No it would not.

34 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

I think human beings regardless of gender all have a different mindset. Life is not that simple as to paste everyone into a certain way of thinking because of gender, race etc...

That´s a banality. What´s your point? Are you claiming the there are no differences in mentalities between groups of people which have different things on common like gender and upbringing? Why do you think is it that e. g. there are many more girls say in horseriding clubs than in soccerclubs and more boys in the latter than in the first? Are you denying that there are differences in mentality between Scandinavians and Mediterraneans?

@Anna66:

"If there really still are these views, what chance is their for change? 2020 next year people. Our technology may have advanced but we humans still have one hell of a long way to go. "

Why do you want to "change" society? Do you have authoritarian tendencies? Why not let people live as they want to?