The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

300 posts in this topic

However, on a lighter note to cheer up the thread a bit of humour!

Think I posted it once before actually on the standing to piss thread ;)

Point taken Anna. In fact I think this image ought to be posted on the entry page to Toytown:

Image result for pink pussy hat

Great.. you have chosen to ignore me again... so, as I am ignored... I cant be banned for offending you!!   

Me calling you a dickhead is hardly offensive to anyone else!!      I just love the Ignore function!   :wub:

24 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

I actually think it is bad that an advert which is selling a shaving product is tarring everyone with the same brush. Not all men behave like this. There are bad men and bad women.

I think the main cause of disgust is the political correctness here. What if they had included scenes from Cologne here where the perpetrators were mostly Muslim men? Several hundreds of them from countries that have actual rape culture. Somebody would have lost their job in the process had they shown that.

If I tell people on here how I got cat called and followed by migrants in Frankfurt they will call me a liar and racist and say something like "German men are just aggressive".

5 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

What would happen if I shaved my bollox with a Philips "LADYSHAVE"...  

I'm amazed you can still see them...

5 minutes ago, Svetlana.Petro said:

Jeremy - Just put SpiderPig on ignore and stop responding to him. I honestly can't recall a post where he hasn't mentioned you. It's quite disturbing.

He really is somewhat sick in the head. i have only met this gentleman about four times. He is persona non grata to me. There is something wrong with him.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

I actually think it is bad that an advert which is selling a shaving product is tarring everyone with the same brush.

indeed, it sorta rubbed me the wrong way too.  Mostly because it leaves the tarring to men only.  Fact is, many women are just as responsible for encouraging and perpetuating the "boys will be boys" attitude that is so prevalent in the US. It's culturally endemic!  Laying the responsibility on men alone is not reasonable nor cool.

In the silly case, and inspired by the peeing song, I'd say 90% of the time when I tell an American woman that many German men sit to pee, they freak the hell out.  "Ewwwww!  I could not handle that. How could I respect a man who sits to pee?!" - something in that general direction.  In a distastefully banal case, my brother's girlfriend recently encouraged him - I mean dug right in and tirelessly fired him up - to run all over town looking for a guy who had crossed him so he could beat him up and "be a man".  In a really alarming (to me at least) case, I am reminded of the news bit with the gaggle of women who were interviewed during the Kavenaugh kerfuffel, who en masse wrote off any possible wrong doing on his part with statements along the lines of: "it doesn't matter if he did it or not - all boys do things like that in high school - they don't know any better at that age - why are you making such a big deal out of it?"  It's just men who are the problem?  Erm.  I think not.  Make that fuck no, not by a long shot!

So while I did find the examples they offered for "good behavior" in the ad heartening - breaking up fights, stepping in when a woman is being even mildly harassed, etc. - I think they should have made the message more comprehensive by showing men AND women providing these positive examples for boys AND girls.  It's everyone's problem, everyone's responsibility, and everyone needs to get with the program.  

not holding my breath as people much prefer to engage in finger pointing to avoid examining their own role in the dance.  In all honesty I think the ad is counter productive as it just feeds this tendency.

@Anna66 Since there are examples of men doing the right thing in the ad, I don't really understand how you could be left thinking it was an "all men" ad without willfully ignoring those parts. The ad is literally saying "be like these guys and do the right thing."

@emkay Ahahhaa! Piers Morgan.

Gillette's toxic masculinity ad earned a mixed response—but research supports the message

The ad drew both support and criticism, as does the topic of masculinity in 2019. But research supports the idea that "toxic masculinity" is, in fact, detrimental to the mental and physical health of boys and men.

Just days before the release of the ad, the American Psychological Association (APA) issued new "Guidelines for the Psychological Practice with Boys and Men." The new guidelines highlight the unique physical and mental health risks that boys and men face, including higher rates of completed suicide, violence, substance abuse, cardiovascular problems and early mortality. They also issue a warning against conforming to traditional stereotypes of masculinity, citing years of research that links machismo to the aforementioned health risks.

"We didn't coordinate with [Gillette]," Jared L. Skillings, Ph.D., Chief of Professional Practice for the APA tells CNBC Make It. "The timing of this is coincidental, although, nicely so.

The report states:

"Socialization for conforming to traditional masculinity ideology has been shown to limit males' psychological development, constrain their behavior, result in gender role strain and gender role conflict (Pleck, 1981, 1995; O'Neil, 2008; O'Neil & Renzulli, 2013), and negatively influence mental health (e.g., O'Neil, 2008, 2013, 2015) and physical health (Courtenay, 2011; Gough & Robertson, 2017). Indeed, boys and men are overrepresented in a variety of psychological and social problems."

Skillings thinks that Gillette hit the nail in the head.

"I was very impressed by [the ad]," says Skillings. "I thought that not only did it highlight some of the positive traits about masculinity, for example that men can be competitive playing sports or could enjoy barbecuing and enjoying company with other men, but it also highlighted the ways in which this traditional, or toxic, masculinity has harmed other people, including women, and in some ways, men themselves."

It just sucks when science doesn't make you feel good about being a jerk, doesn't it? Get back in the kitchen, indeed.

It's very interesting that some people call the response mixed considering it currently has twice as many dislikes as likes and Youtube has been accused of tampering with the dislikes as many users have reported their dislikes to have disappeared.

I also find it interesting that some take the APA guidelines without a grain of salt considering their past blunders. Also is psychology a hard science like physics and chemistry? I think not.

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2015/11/why_psychology_and_statistics_are_not_science.html

7 hours ago, lisa13 said:

In the silly case, and inspired by the peeing song, I'd say 90% of the time when I tell an American woman that many German men sit to pee, they freak the hell out.  "Ewwwww!  I could not handle that. How could I respect a man who sits to pee?!" - something in that general direction.  In a distastefully banal case, my brother's girlfriend recently encouraged him - I mean dug right in and tirelessly fired him up - to run all over town looking for a guy who had crossed him so he could beat him up and "be a man".

The thing is that these women simply aren't attracted to men who behave like women. That's just the way nature works. I generally find German men to be passive and weak especially under stress which I simply find unattractive. So them sitting while peeing has nothing to do with it in my case. Being a man doesn't mean going around and beating people up or whoring after every woman you see. That's called being a thug or male slut. Being a man means taking care, protecting and standing up for your family even when it's hard and politically incorrect to do so. And also to hold onto your beliefs even when they're not popular. In my opinion mental toughness is more important than physical prowess although nice abs and strong chest don't hurt. ;)

As for your brother I don't know the circumstances but sometimes he needs to be a man and say no to Lady Macbeth.

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Piers Morgan's opinion...

Why are man-shaming Gillette so proud to embrace the ghastly Chrissy Teigen who has been as mean to other women as the worst misogynist?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6599957/PIERS-MORGAN-man-shaming-Gillette-proud-embrace-misogynist-Chrissy-Teigen.html

He's a complete tool, but once in a while he does bring a glimmer of a cogent point to the table. 

Usually for the wrong reasons, but you gotta admit she's dished some pretty toxic stuff. And he's right, insofar as that should not get a pass. 

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

@emkay Ahahhaa! Piers Morgan.

Gillette's toxic masculinity ad earned a mixed response—but research supports the message

It just sucks when science doesn't make you feel good about being a jerk, doesn't it? Get back in the kitchen, indeed.

Yeah but Alex, can't you see how this ad is also trying to trigger a (kinder) form of machismo? A sort of "step up. be a hero. the world is counting on you. be a REAL man" flavor? 

Also the science here is a bit garbled. "toxic" masculinity is not causal in the way it's presented here, rather it's another symptom of socialization gone wrong. 

As hard as I try, I simply cannot be offended by this ad. I really, really, really can't see the problem. It's been a mans world forever. Still is. I have never had a single problem arise from the fact that I am a man. Maybe things are slowly changing these days. I hope so. As a son, a brother and a husband, I see it only as a good thing. I don't feel insulted. I just see a piece of media which is just trying to be part of the movement to make the world a better, more equal place.

10 hours ago, Anna66 said:

It reminds me of the photos they put on cigarette packets to try and get people to stop smoking. Does it work? No.

By the way, it does. But it's not just about getting people to stop. It's about getting people to not start. It's about education. It's about culture.

Well, I don´t like the ad by one simple reason: it makes it look like all men are trash and that we have to do something about it.

This generalization, derived from the #metoo movement is dangerous.

Too bad Gillette makes such good razors, otherwise I would boycot.