The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

300 posts in this topic

To be fair, I think it is more due to the fact that beards are in fashion. In general people are not shaving as much as they used to.

I used to shave three times a week, now I cannot be bothered and it has been cut down to once a week, hence I change my razor blades less often. In a way probably better for the environment as well ;)

Back on topic. I think the advert was unfair to men. Women bully each other too. It can be toxic. People in general can be nasty or nice. There are bullies everywhere. The advert was unfair. The pressure on women "Toxic Femininity" if you want to label it is wrong. Eating disorders, the hairless female, photo shop etc etc... The list is endless.

But integrating such a message into an advertisement for a product is wrong in every way.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

Why?

It doesn't work. Bullies do not change because of an advert!

Would have been better to say it is ok for women to have hairy armpits and legs. Why should I shave? Why? But wait, then they would not make a profit. It is ok for men to be hairy but women hairless!

Yes I was bullied into shaving!

Shame on those bullies right?

Really? That sounds defeatist. I remember the Ad Council ads and other PSAs in the US and they worked. Is Trump's wife wasting my tax money with 'Be best'?

Anyway, everything is worth a try.

Reminds me of this new men's make up called War Paint. I've been reading funny articles about it all week.

Here's one

Another one said something like, "Man up. Go to Sephora."

3 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Back on topic. I think the advert was unfair to men. Women bully each other too. It can be toxic. People in general can be nasty or nice. There are bullies everywhere.

Women can be vicious nowadays.

Some pretend to read data but don't see the big picture.

Procter & Gamble says strong consumers are paying more for products, fueling earnings beat and a higher 2019 sales forecast

Procter & Gamble on Tuesday reported quarterly earnings and revenue that beat analyst expectations, as strong consumers continue to pay up for its products following price increases earlier this year.

“In our categories, we see generally good health and strong consumption,” Chief Financial Officer Jon Moeller said in an interview with CNBC’s Becky Quick and Wilfred Frost on “Squawk Box. ”

Despite concerns of a potential economic slowdown, P&G continues to see strong growth in China and the U.S, Moeller said.

Shares of the company were down 1.2% in premarket trading.

Here’s what the company reported compared with what Wall Street was expecting, based on a survey of analysts by Refinitiv:

• Earnings per share: $1.06 adjusted, vs. $1.03 expected
  • Revenue: $16.46 billion vs. $16.37 billion expected

Excluding items, P&G earned $1.06 per share, beating the $1.03 per share expected by analysts surveyed by Refinitiv.

Net sales rose 1% to $16.46 billion, topping expectations of $16.37 billion.

“This is third quarter in a row of very strong volume, sales, consumption and market share growth being driven by a strategy of superiority,” Moeller said.

Its strongest business units continue to be its beauty care business, which includes its premium SK-II skin-care brand and Olay. Fabric and home care and health care, which includes Crest toothpaste, also performed well.

Its grooming business, which includes its Gillette brand, continued to lag, although its sales declines moderated from the prior quarter. Organic sales in its grooming business dropped 1%, compared with a 3% decline in the second quarter.

The company said sales of shaving care products were in line with the year-earlier period, but benefited from higher sales in more developed areas and price increases, which helped offset unit volume declines. Unit volume factors out the impact of price and currency fluctuations

P&G, whose products also include Tide detergent, said it now expects its 2019 organic sales to grow 4%, rather than be in range of up 2% to 4%. Total sales are expected to be flat to up 1% over 2018.

Looks like Gillette's lagging while P&G is beating expectations overall.

14 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Eating disorders, the hairless female, photo shop etc etc...

I never understood the eating disorders notion.  Most men prefer women to have a bit of an ass and some meat on them as opposed to a walking skeleton.  As for the shaving and photo shop part I don't think it has so much to do with bullying as opposed to what the opposite sex finds attractive.  Men tend to like beautiful women without body hair and women tend to like handsome men with athletic frames.  I'm sure most men or women wouldn't spit on somebody who doesn't fit these descriptions but people tend to self-pressure themselves.

If I may add something, the photo shop thing is a delusion.  People don't look like that in real life.  Having an athletic frame and a six pack myself (during the warmer months - winter is for bulking :-)) I don't look like the Spartans from 300 all the time.  You have to take into consideration that when you see those photos or clips, the lighting is absolutely perfect, the actors/models have some sort of moisturizer on them and photo shop also helps.  The same thing for women; people tend to see Instagram models and think that's reality while it's all an illusion.

This really works. I get at least 6 months use from a single blade...

On 5/12/2019, 7:06:02, J0ker said:

although its sales declines moderated from the prior quarter

On 5/12/2019, 7:06:02, J0ker said:

The company said sales of shaving care products were in line with the year-earlier period,

Yes, some people don't read. So, overall decline in grooming products moderated (that means they decreased slightly) and shaving care products remained the same (that's what "were in line with the year-earlier period" means).

Thanks for making the point. The Gillette razor boycott as impotent as its proponents.

We could all honestly help the environment more if we had a bath/shower and shave day once a week. They did this in the old days as well.

Saves water too... Off topic but just a thought.

On 5/13/2019, 9:12:43, AlexTr said:

Yes, some people don't read. So, overall decline in grooming products moderated (that means they decreased slightly) and shaving care products remained the same (that's what "were in line with the year-earlier period" means).

Some people selectively quote what they want to believe.  Ain't that right Alex boy?

Its grooming business, which includes its Gillette brand, continued to lag, although its sales declines moderated from the prior quarter. Organic sales in its grooming business dropped 1%, compared with a 3% decline in the second quarter.

The company said sales of shaving care products were in line with the year-earlier period, but benefited from higher sales in more developed areas and price increases, which helped offset unit volume declines. Unit volume factors out the impact of price and currency fluctuations

In other words sales continued to drop in this quarter.  Still doesn't change that Gillette is lagging behind other P&G brands.  Boycotts are more often than not ineffective in the long run but when you have people who don't understand their customers running one of your brands don't be surprised if that brand turns out to be an underachiever compared to its counterparts.  But who am I argue with the source of all wisdom in the universe?

On 5/13/2019, 9:12:43, AlexTr said:

Thanks for making the point. The Gillette razor boycott as impotent as its proponents.

Oh Alex boy you keep on mentioning that word.  Are you jealous I have something you wish you had? ;)

21 hours ago, Anna66 said:

We could all honestly help the environment more if we had a bath/shower and shave day once a week.

I go to the gym/play sports 5 times a week.  Would you seriously want to sit next to me on the bus if I showered only once a week? :)

We could all honestly help the environment more if we had a bath/shower and shave day once a week.

Apparently, many people on the public transportation are already practicing this.

We could all honestly help the environment more if we had a bath/shower and shave day once a week. They did this in the old days as well.

Saves water too... Off topic but just a thought.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Apparently, many people on the public transportation are already practicing this.

Completely off topic, but the passengers on the very crowded U Bahn who only shower once a week in the summer make me consider driving to work every day.

5 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Completely off topic, but the passengers on the very crowded U Bahn who only shower once a week in the summer make me consider driving to work every day.

Depending on the city, I rarely have any qualms about getting on the U-Bahn or S-Bahn after a long distance run.   

There is a very good chance I won't be the smelliest person on board.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

3 hours ago, engelchen said:

Just carry a bottle of febreeze with you! Or simply spray perfume in the air! :lol:

14 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Just carry a bottle of febreeze with you! Or simply spray perfume in the air! :lol:

Oh sure. The other riders will love that just like they do when I kip a window open.

Still true:

On 1/17/2019, 11:04:10, El Jeffo said:

The ad tl;dr:

Gillette: "Don't be a dick."

Dicks: *throw dick tantrums*

On 14.5.2019, 16:33:37, fraufruit said:

Oh sure. The other riders will love that just like they do when I kip a window open.

Screw them Fraufruit! You need your fresh air! How dare they complain! Fresh air is a must!

I knew there was a reason I stopped using Gillette razor crap...   But I was misled.  I though it was due to the expensive blades, and short shave time.  Now I know it is just because Gillette is misdirected garbage.

Companies using misdirection to avoid making good products, masking inferior market.    Somebody in Boston should just make better Razors.

Harrys,  can you hear?