The New Gillette Social Awareness Campaign

278 posts in this topic

Men Are Mad Online Because of a New Gillette Commercial

A new ad from Gillette kindly requests that men stop themselves and each other from being horrible human beings. A segment of men are so taken aback by being asked to behave like normal human beings that they are going to boycott Gillette. Some have even begun "owning the libs" at Gillette by throwing out their old razors and buying new ones. Given the failure of the Nike boycott, does anyone think this boycott will do anything to help people whose self-identity is so fragile that they cannot withstand being told not to be assholes?

Yes, and those were off-topic as is your post here. Now it has its own thread. Get back in the kitchen. Your wife will be home soon. ;)

35 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Maybe Gilette needs to run a toxic female awareness scheme. might really go viral.

Another piece of garbage by man hating feminists and their "male" supporters. But the NPC is right; the boycott will not work. However many disgruntled customers will create a vaccum and I see a market opening in the future for companies that don't spread political propaganda like this. Perhaps Russian or Asian companies? Cry me a river Americans.

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

does anyone think this boycott will do anything to help people whose self-identity is so fragile that they cannot withstand being told not to be assholes?

Hmmm speaking of a fragile self identity, didn't you report me a couple of times for making fun of your weight? Now whose self identity is fragile?

Oh, look, a sock!

ETA: Who apparently has me confused with someone else from the quotes I see.

3 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Men Are Mad Online Because of a New Gillette Commercial

A new ad from Gillette kindly requests that men stop themselves and each other from being horrible human beings. A segment of men are so taken aback by being asked to behave like normal human beings that they are going to boycott Gillette. Some have even begun "owning the libs" at Gillette by throwing out their old razors and buying new ones. Given the failure of the Nike boycott, does anyone think this boycott will do anything to help people whose self-identity is so fragile that they cannot withstand being told not to be assholes?

Remind me to shave tomorrow! Forgot this whole week!

By the way, the world has gone crazy...I may have mentioned that before..everybody offended by everything...

15 minutes ago, Svetlana.Petro said:

Hmmm speaking of a fragile self identity, didn't you report me a couple of times for making fun of your weight? Now whose self identity is fragile?

:lol:

1 minute ago, john g. said:

By the way, the world has gone crazy...I may have mentioned that before..everybody offended by everything...

I'm offended by you John. Er...no...or did I just offend myself...yeah that's it. No, actually my bloody dog barked at me. I think i'll sue my pooch for emotional damage.

And the idea that a profit making corporation makes a "Social Awareness" campaign is as utterly fuckwitted as Benetton raising AIDS awareness when they did a decade ago. Complete horseshit. 

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

The beautiful irony of this, John, is that these are the same people who speak up in defense of their own offensive language. As it turns out, they are a bunch of tender-bellied nances who cannot handle a little truth. 

6 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

:lol:

I'm offended by you John. Er...no...or did I just offend myself...yeah that's it. No, actually my bloody dog barked at me. I think i'll sue my pooch for emotional damage.

My bloody dog Max tried to bite me today when I was trying to dry him after a thunderstorm we got caught up in!!:D

Sue your dog, alex! Offensive behaviour!!

From Inc.

On Sunday, Gillette released a short film--less than two minutes-- that's different than its usual commercials. Instead of focusing on shaving, the video focuses on the deeper meaning behind the company's familiar tagline, "The Best a Man Can Get."

Specifically, the video addresses toxic masculinity that has been nurtured over the years, either overtly or through silence, and has resulted in men mistreating others. It's a call-to-action to men everywhere to be the change by speaking up and doing the right thing to treat others with respect. The ad notes that when men are seen standing up in this way, it sets a positive example for young boys on what it really means to be a good man.

If you go to Gillette.com, you'll be met with an overlay that gives more context behind why the brand created the video, and what their plans are over the next three years to continue their quest to make positive change. The company also launched a similar page devoted specifically to the campaign at www.thebestmencanbe.org.

From a marketing perspective, it's all brilliant.

I remember this back in the UK about 30 years ago!

Very Guardian-esque and brilliant at the time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3bfO1rE7Yg

AND I personally remember being on a street near London and saw a young skinhead guy go up to an old lady a few yards away from me..I was hesitant but watchful.

You know what he said to the old lady?

" Excuse me, please, can you tell me the way to the court? "

Old lady: " yes, dear...go down the road, second on the left and you´ll find it! "

:D

Funniest thing in that ridiculous advert is the row of guys barbecueing. My heroes. I'm really gonna learn proper grilling next summer - huge joints of meat, red blooded stuff.

One thing I regret never buying was an apron in Pisa when I was there yonks ago with Michaelangelo's "David" bollocks at the appropriate place. Wonderfully toxic masculinity there...

Image result for apron Michelangelo's "David" bollocks

5 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Funniest thing in that ridiculous advert is the row of guys barbecueing. My heroes. I'm really gonna learn proper grilling next summer - huge joints of meat, red blooded stuff.

Image result for apron Michelangelo's "David" bollocks

Yes I have also heard that BBQs are now deemed to bring out the worst in men. Isn't it sexist to assume that only men do the BBQ-ing? Nevermind. Logic was never their strong point.

If you ever read Michael Pollan's "Cooked" he does indeed discuss how barbecueing  - fire heat air and time are very manly pursuits. I was given a Weber grill autumn - old fashioned coals, not this gas nonsense. I'm really fascinated by doing food ultra old fashioned. 

I actually think it is bad that an advert which is selling a shaving product is tarring everyone with the same brush. Not all men behave like this. There are bad men and bad women. Life is full of idiots. Fact is not even an advert is going to make people who don't care give a damn. There will sadly always be bullies. There will always be good and evil.

It reminds me of the photos they put on cigarette packets to try and get people to stop smoking. Does it work? No. I also think it is cheeky, they should put photos of fatty livers on alcohol products and diabetic gangrenous legs on chocolate etc etc... topic for another thread ;)

People who are nasty will always be nasty. You cannot sadly change the way some people are.